London Studios' Work in Progress from 2022 (Proposed closure of studio) Project is dead now!

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Pixel Opus was twenty people, how is that a moneypit?
It cost a lot of money to employ 20 people in California over the course of a decade. Its not a charity, they weren’t producing which is the main priority of a job

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Deviation's game was reportedly canceled.
Rumored to be cancelled, something later was debunked by the CEO as happened with other games when he said the 12 were (back then) under development.

Some people was fired and pretty likely was delayed, which sounds like they had to made major changes, possibly a reboot of an important part of the game. Some people assumed it was cancelled but doesn't seem the case.

It cost a lot of money to employ 20 people in California over the course of a decade. Its not a charity, they weren’t producing which is the main priority of a job
Well, they didn't even have their own office and were mostly folks that came directly from the university, that team pretty likely was super cheap. They were incubating them but didn't work out.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
If Media Molecule was in California they probably would have been closed long ago.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Rumored to be cancelled, something later was debunked by the CEO as happened with other games when he said the 12 were (back then) under development.

Some people was fired and pretty likely was delayed, which sounds like they had to made major changes, possibly a reboot of an important part of the game. Some people assumed it was cancelled but doesn't seem the case.

Where did you read this?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Well, they didn't even have their own office and were mostly folks that came directly from the university, that team pretty likely was super cheap. They were incubating them but didn't work out.

Pixelopus was Shawn Laydens pet project, lucky for them they got some great resume padding out of university

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
London Studios dealt a bad hand the minute Sony killed off Singstar and didn't see that PlayStation Home was a goldmine in the making if relaunched on PS4.

They were the causal studio of PlayStation and that's where they shined. Putting them on VR was a deathkneel last gen though the game was pretty good. Similar to what they did to the extremely underrated Guerilla Cambridge (who should still be around today).

The co-op fantasy theme could have work if they were allowed to finish it. Another area thematically PlayStation has no presence in.

Still they were the original founders of the meta-verse with PlayStation Home and that should have been what they did last gen.
I still don't know why they didn’t do PS HOME 2/VR, especially for PSVR 2
Or carry on Singstar.

I dont know what these guys in charge are thinking half the time. Clearly outside of getting Kojima onboard for another new IP exclusive, Hermen has been a disaster.

Reactions: Box

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Everything adds up. None of their games ever sold especially well. You can't just keep throwing money away, which is what Totoki is now saying.
But how far is he gonna take i though?

Im all for letting go of some of these studios if they are gonna bring in more.( Because except for Destruction All stars all the games are making money. Even Bend which I wasnt a big fan of Days Gone made money.)

And Im ok with them letting go some staff outside of the studios. Its a shame, but after working with some of these people, alot are not needed, like so many marketing and such.

Im not for the small vision of putting games day 1 on PC so they have a quick profit and bounce out with a bonus. These type of CEO’s dont care about PS in the long run

Reactions: Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I still don't know why they didn’t do PS HOME 2/VR, especially for PSVR 2
Or carry on Singstar.

I dont know what these guys in charge are thinking half the time. Clearly outside of getting Kojima onboard for another new IP exclusive, Hermen has been a disaster.

I also wonder why Dreams was never released on PC where it would have thrived

Reactions: Kokoloko

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
the thing with pixelopus is they also didn’t really have a solid legacy to bail them out.

Nothing they made really caught fire, even though I thought concrete genie was a good imaginative game no one really bought it and it didn’t review that well.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
the thing with pixelopus is they also didn’t really have a solid legacy to bail them out.

Nothing they made really caught fire, even though I thought concrete genie was a good imaginative game no one really bought it and it didn’t review that well.
I still think its a shame, because I enjoy alot of these smaller games. Japan Studios especially

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I mean at this point they'd spent thirty years making Eye Toy trash, portable stuff and whatever else the A teams didn't want to do. GaaS was probably a step up for them.
Maybe lol

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
But how far is he gonna take i though?

Im all for letting go of some of these studios if they are gonna bring in more.( Because except for Destruction All stars all the games are making money. Even Bend which I wasnt a big fan of Days Gone made money.)

And Im ok with them letting go some staff outside of the studios. Its a shame, but after working with some of these people, alot are not needed, like so many marketing and such.

Im not for the small vision of putting games day 1 on PC so they have a quick profit and bounce out with a bonus. These type of CEO’s dont care about PS in the long run
It's not just about the games that come out, it's also about the games that don't come out.

A canceled game isn't going to generate profit.

Games are entirely too expensive to have to cancel well into development. I think this is why Connie Booth is out. Greenlighting too many games that weren't viable.

I was expecting 10% cuts and he only did 8%. I think this was him being soft on the layoffs, but it's important to recognize that more cuts COULD come.

I don't expect 8% decrease in workforce to drastically impact game development that much. You have an entire studio closed that wasn't at all productive and you have other studios that probably ranged between 5-15% RIF.

That's not that dramatic if you consider churn. You've let go of a lot of community managers, an overabundance of writers, maybe an overabundance of artists. Where it will get more interesting is that they reduced their support staff, but fewer games mean you need fewer support staff.

tl;dr I think sony will be just fine and these cuts could have been way worse.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I still think its a shame, because I enjoy alot of these smaller games. Japan Studios especially
Alot of talent in those devs and forward, innovative thinking that we lose when they get dismantled. I know most move on to other companies but still it's not the same.