London Studios' Work in Progress from 2022 (Proposed closure of studio) Project is dead now!

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If this and Twisted Metal are gone, then 3 or the 12 GaaS IPs are gone.

There are 9 left and out of them 4 (5 if we count Destiny/Bungie) are already published. So there are 5 left (4 if we count Destiny), pretty likely:
  • Concord
  • Horizon Online
  • Fairgame$
  • Deviation's game
  • Marathon
  • Bungie's new IP (Matter?)

Regarding Twisted Metal, Jason Schreier says the game was in early development and wasn't greenlight.

But we saw that during years Firesprite had job offers for an MP action game that featured car and on foot combat, which we assumed was the rumored Twisted Metal. It if wasn't Twisted Metal then means their MP (GaaS?) game they had in the works and was counted for the 12 GaaS continues alive.
So many games that could have been..its crazy to think of slices and playable demos out there we will never see.

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Fairgame$ and Deviations game are probably next on the chopping block. Just sucks to see a studio closing when they could have made a AA game instead and most likely have released it by now.

Reactions: Johnic and Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Fairgame$ and Deviations game are probably next on the chopping block. Just sucks to see a studio closing when they could have made a AA game instead and most likely have released it by now.
Any studio developing a GaaS without ever sharing gameplay is likely about to die without ever releasing the game.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Any studio developing a GaaS without ever sharing gameplay is likely about to die without ever releasing the game.
Thts crazy and I get the devs themselves didn't even want to go tht route. This narrative tht higher ups didn't push for GaaS avd devs could do whatever they want is so frivolous it's obvious what's been going on behind the scenes.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
England seems to be a very expensive place to have a gaming studio, especially an unprofitable one.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Playground Games close now that they're off the once lucrative Forza franchise and onto Fable.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
England seems to be a very expensive place to have a gaming studio, especially an unprofitable one.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Playground Games close now that they're off the once lucrative Forza franchise and onto Fable.
So many changes and layoffs it's hard to keep up.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

Everything pretty much in England costs a lot more since 2020.
Food / Gas / Electric / Tax / Housing all have gone up some 2X what they were in 2020 so god knows what it costs to run a studio and all the staff in this economy at the moment

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Everything pretty much in England costs a lot more since 2020.
Food / Gas / Electric / Tax / Housing all have gone up some 2X what they were in 2020 so god knows what it costs to run a studio and all the staff in this economy at the moment
@Sircaw share your living cost expertise here :)

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
In reality, I struggle to make it most weeks,

@TubzGaming pretty much sums it up; the last two years have broken most people's backs in the country.

The rich, well, I am sure they are fine, but medium to low-income families are getting wrecked.
Same here, middle class is a disappearing class so I feel you. Low income rent here is like $1,500 smh imagine that! Avg rent in NYC can go up to as high as $4,000. It's crazy but I'd say Avg is like $2,000-$2,500. And no pay is not keeping up with inflation or rising prices. What ppl are doing are living together helping the family pay rent. More and more adults are still living with their parents in apartments. Forget buying a house. Cheapest house here in NYC is around $600,000 if your lucky!

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It didn't sound promising to me though.
I was intrigued. Im not much of a multiplayer gamer but PS needs some and Helldivers shos how much people actually enjoy them even while they’ve been complaining about “gaas”
PS needs that Gaas money lol

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
London Studios dealt a bad hand the minute Sony killed off Singstar and didn't see that PlayStation Home was a goldmine in the making if relaunched on PS4.

They were the causal studio of PlayStation and that's where they shined. Putting them on VR was a deathkneel last gen though the game was pretty good. Similar to what they did to the extremely underrated Guerilla Cambridge (who should still be around today).

The co-op fantasy theme could have work if they were allowed to finish it. Another area thematically PlayStation has no presence in.

Still they were the original founders of the meta-verse with PlayStation Home and that should have been what they did last gen.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Thts crazy and I get the devs themselves didn't even want to go tht route. This narrative tht higher ups didn't push for GaaS avd devs could do whatever they want is so frivolous it's obvious what's been going on behind the scenes.
I mean at this point they'd spent thirty years making Eye Toy trash, portable stuff and whatever else the A teams didn't want to do. GaaS was probably a step up for them.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
it makes me wonder, all these studio heads leaving these big companies where are they going if game funding is so low?

Same with the guy from Housemarque, or the rocksteady guys, etc. everyone is leaving to do other things but every company is doing layoffs and tightening wallets so what are they doing?

I can’t even remember the last time i heard about tencent investing in anyhting

I think a lot of people have left studios hoping to start your dream game and get bought out by someone else and get that pay day.

I think a lot of people are going to regret that in the near future. It's going to be tough to be an independent developer for the next couple of years.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
If this and Twisted Metal are gone, then 3 or the 12 GaaS IPs are gone.

There are 9 left and out of them 4 (5 if we count Destiny/Bungie) are already published. So there are 5 left (4 if we count Destiny), pretty likely:
  • Concord
  • Horizon Online
  • Fairgame$
  • Deviation's game
  • Marathon
  • Bungie's new IP (Matter?)

Regarding Twisted Metal, Jason Schreier says the game was in early development and wasn't greenlight.

But we saw that during years Firesprite had job offers for an MP action game that featured car and on foot combat, which we assumed was the rumored Twisted Metal. It if wasn't Twisted Metal then means their MP (GaaS?) game they had in the works and was counted for the 12 GaaS continues alive.

Deviation's game was reportedly canceled.