LTTP Silent Hill PS1

RE4-City

4 Resident Evil
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
So two days ago I bought Silent Hill on my PS3 for $5.99 I think and wow, This game was a huge surprise honestly.
I was tempted on buying this game due to the other Resident Evil or Silent Hill thread: https://icon-era.com/threads/the-most-important-question-silent-hill-or-resident-evil.1369/
I did not give an answer to which series I thought was better due to the fact that I have not played a silent hill game but now I changed that,
I have not finished yet but just got past the super sad cut-scene in the game IYKYK

Honestly I think this game holds up better than the PS1 Resident Evil games graphically but I think Resident Evil 2 is still better than it but Silent Hill 1 is better than RE1 and RE3 imo.
I think the camera being more dynamic than RE was great and I was shocked to see Harry do stuff like using him arms to brace himself running into a wall and the loading between areas being so fast for the most part.
I loved stuff like how when your hurt the controller vibrates like a heart beat when your hurt and the radio making sounds for enemies was great

One thing I feel like I need to mention is that I choose to play this game on easy mode as I did not want to spend too much time on it as I am hyped for GOW next week and currently trying to get as many trophies as possible lately.
I needed to look up what the rubber ball was for and other things but over all I didn't have too much of a hard time with most puzzles

Now what is the cheapest way to play Silent Hill 2 besides emulation before the remake, or should I just wait to play the Silent Hill 2 remake?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Let’s clear up something here that maybe helps you decide.

Silent Hill 2 is a complete story without any link with other Silent Hill games… it is considered the best game in the franchise.

Silent Hill 3 is a direct sequel from Silent Hill 1… and Silent Hill 4 (The Room) has small indirect relation with SH1/SH3.

OP
OP
RE4-City

RE4-City

4 Resident Evil
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

Silent Hill 2 is a complete story without any link with other Silent Hill games… it is considered the best game in the franchise.

Silent Hill 3 is a direct sequel from Silent Hill 1… and Silent Hill 4 (The Room) has small indirect relation with SH1/SH3.
i see, do you know which ending is cannon in SH1?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
i see, do you know which ending is cannon in SH1?
One of the good endings is cannon but nobody knows which one.

Ending spoilers… don’t read if you didn’t finish it yet.

In both Alessa/Cheryl is reincarnated in a baby and Harry escape with her. The difference between Good and Good+ is that in Good+ Cybil escape with them.

The issue here is that Silent Hill 3 doesn’t mention Cybil at all so we doesn’t know which one is the actual canon… if she is alive Good+ is canon… if she died in the town Good is canon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RE4-City

RE4-City

4 Resident Evil
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
One of the good endings is cannon but nobody knows which one.

Ending spoilers… don’t read if you didn’t finish it yet.

In both Alessa/Cheryl is reincarnated in a baby and Harry escape with her. The difference between Good and Good+ is that in Good+ Cybil escape with them.

The issue here is that Silent Hill 3 doesn’t mention Cybil at all so we doesn’t know which one is the actual canon… if she is alive Good+ is canon… if she died in the town Good is canon.
I just remembered I purchased Silent Hill Origins on the PSP store last year before it closed, is that worth playing or have you tried it yet? I think it's downloaded on one of my vita memory cards

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I just remembered I purchased Silent Hill Origins on the PSP store last year before it closed, is that worth playing or have you tried it yet? I think it's downloaded on one of my vita memory cards
It is the prequel to first Silent Hill… so you have the Origins, 1 and 3 as story progression.

It is a good and interesting game but people compare it with 1 and 2… so it is no fair because both are classics.

It is worth to play for what it is… just don’t expect the same story quality found in the classics.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
1 is a fantastic game and really impressive still today. when the map opens up you can really see this was one of the first open-world games, or the at the very least the start of what they would become.

it's a technical masterpiece for the PS1 era.

2, well that game destroys it in every way and remains one of the best written games of all time.

Just remember you don't get all the content with the black label PS2 release. Greatest Hits is the one you want.

no choice but to pay to play unfortunately. It's heralded as the best game on the PS2, it's a horror game, and there really aren't that many good condition copies left.

I tried to warn people to get a silent hill collection going before the series came back... now i really feel sorry for those who didn't. I imagine the prices are even more insane now.

Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
RE4-City

RE4-City

4 Resident Evil
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
1 is a fantastic game and really impressive still today. when the map opens up you can really see this was one of the first open-world games, or the at the very least the start of what they would become.

it's a technical masterpiece for the PS1 era.

2, well that game destroys it in every way and remains one of the best written games of all time.

Just remember you don't get all the content with the black label PS2 release. Greatest Hits is the one you want.

no choice but to pay to play unfortunately. It's heralded as the best game on the PS2, it's a horror game, and there really aren't that many good condition copies left.

I tried to warn people to get a silent hill collection going before the series came back... now i really feel sorry for those who didn't. I imagine the prices are even more insane now.
I'm hoping silent hill 2 gets a ps2 classic release or a remaster like how final fantasy 7 ps1 did on ps4 before final fantasy 7 remake came out even tho I know its unlikely due to silent hill remake most likely coming out next year and probably isn't too far from release but I hope the remake keeps everything intact.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
RE4-City

RE4-City

4 Resident Evil
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
It is the prequel to first Silent Hill… so you have the Origins, 1 and 3 as story progression.

It is a good and interesting game but people compare it with 1 and 2… so it is no fair because both are classics.

It is worth to play for what it is… just don’t expect the same story quality found in the classics.
I just recently bought Silent Hill HD Collection on my Xbox One when it was on sale for like $9.89 (I already had $6 something left on my xbox account from like 2018 so I just used paypal you pay the rest off so my balance can read $0.00 now) but I will not play the game like this. I will emulate the PS2 version sometime when ever I get some free time (The rest of 2022 is too busy for me, and I probably won't have to time to play it and the remake until 2024 since RE4 Remake and my Vita backlog will be the thing I focus on in the foreseeable future) but just bought the hd collection just so I don't feel bad about emulating the PS2 version.

Reactions: TubzGaming

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
Regarding SH2...Tbh I have the HD Collection on ps3, and it runs like shit. It's playable, but...yeah, that's like the only positive. Good game despite that though, still worth playing the original. I'd probably say the original will be better than the coming remake

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Nothing that was made by any dev other than Team Silent is worth spending the time on.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com

I disagree that the connections in Silent Hill 4 are fully indirect.

Walter Sullivan (arguably the main character) was first mentioned in Silent Hill 2, it's another game where the cult tries to resurrect God, Walter was trained by Dahlia and the red hooded executioners mentioned in 2-3 to fulfill the ritual, the Holy Assumption ritual was done with the same objects used in Silent Hill 2's Rebirth Ending, it expands on the cult's influence on the town and the state of the cult after the previous game, the landlord is James Sunderland's dad and Rachael was first mentioned in Silent Hill 2, the monsters and dreamscapes that Walter creates are manifested from his subconscious (similar to the previous games), ETC.

Even though the location, player character, and mechanics are different, I would say Silent Hill 4 is otherwise a straight sequel to the previous three.

Silent Hill 2 has connections to the first game as well (the cult is mentioned throughout, the Creepers are a remnant of Alessa's nightmare, certain locations that appear on the map, the Seal of Metatron in the Pyramid Head boss fight, ETC), but I agree that those are less direct for sure. For the most part, Silent Hill 2 is a self-sustaining story about individual characters' experiences in the town.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Walter Sullivan (arguably the main character) was first mentioned in Silent Hill 2, it's another game where the cult tries to resurrect God, Walter was trained by Dahlia and the red hooded executioners mentioned in 2-3 to fulfill the ritual, the Holy Assumption ritual was done with the same objects used in Silent Hill 2's Rebirth Ending, it expands on the cult's influence on the town and the state of the cult after the previous game, the landlord is James Sunderland's dad and Rachael was first mentioned in Silent Hill 2, the monsters and dreamscapes that Walter creates are manifested from his subconscious (similar to the previous games), ETC.

Even though the location, player character, and mechanics are different, I would say Silent Hill 4 is otherwise a straight sequel to the previous three.

Silent Hill 2 has connections to the first game as well (the cult is mentioned throughout, the Creepers are a remnant of Alessa's nightmare, certain locations that appear on the map, the Seal of Metatron in the Pyramid Head boss fight, ETC), but I agree that those are less direct for sure. For the most part, Silent Hill 2 is a self-sustaining story about individual characters' experiences in the town.
SH 4 started out as a totally unrelated game, but Konami upper management forced the team to make it into a Silent Hill game when it was already in production.

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
SH 4 started out as a totally unrelated game, but Konami upper management forced the team to make it into a Silent Hill game when it was already in production.
This appears to be a misconception:

According to an interview, it was originally going to be a spin-off, with "Silent Hill" as a subtitle, but was later made into a main entry to show audiences that the series was evolving.

There's another interview where they mentioned that they had several game ideas/concepts that weren't necessarily Silent Hill ideas (such as "Room 302"), but they chose the best one for the next Silent Hill title (which would have originally been The Room: Silent Hill, instead of Silent Hill 4: The Room).

But based on things the developers have said, it was always going to be a Silent Hill game in some way by the time it entered production.

• Informative
Reactions: KiryuRealty

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Yeap... it use the characters from previous games.
But my point is Sillent Hill 4 can be played standalone without need to play the previous games... just like Silent Hill 2.
That is why I said indirect... because the previous stories won't affect how you understand SH4.

The only direct sequel is Sillent Hill 3.