Luminous Studios Being Absorbed by Square Enix From May 1st

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Holy shit, we all knew shit was bad, but this announcement barely took a month after the disastrous release of their game.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It was going to happen regardless of how Forspoken did. Luminous engine is too much trouble (and, frankly, not as good as stuff like UE5) for them to keep trying to force its use.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Don’t feel bad one bit. 15 sucks and Forspoken is a bad joke. Will not be missed.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
probably what will happen to tango gameworks as well, especially with Mikami departing. Expecting the announcement that what's left of Tango will be absorbed into other areas of Bethesda soon.

Unfortunately, flops come with consequences in this industry, and Forspoken and Hi-Fi both failed to deliver.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
probably what will happen to tango gameworks as well, especially with Mikami departing. Expecting the announcement that what's left of Tango will be absorbed into other areas of Bethesda soon.

I dont think it would be as easy for Tango to be absorbed into other areas of Bethesda. Arent they a Japanese studio?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Unfortunately, flops come with consequences in this industry, and Forspoken and Hi-Fi both failed to deliver.

Edit: I’m calling what just happened to Luminous “getting 343’d”

I’m sure there is some more fake retirement Xbox defense force bullshit that will spin this.

All bets are on Mikami leaving because he’s not stupid enough to want to work for fucking Xbox :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Good for them.

At least the studio head is still at the studio unlike that other game 😬

He couldn't wait to delete that shit off his resume. OP is coping with this thread lol

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Forspoken was cursed from the start, the mix of western dialogue and character who has "the attitude" and curse a lot with the fantasy setting, couldn't clash more than it did in that game

Unfortunately it makes everything perfectly sense at about 80% of the story.

Game is pretty solid and enjoyable. Maybe expectations/reception would have been different if it came from a different studio.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yeah, try again. This is possible because all of S-E's Japanese stuff is in Tokyo, Microsoft's nearest studio is on the west coast of North America.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I dont think it would be as easy for Tango to be absorbed into other areas of Bethesda. Arent they a Japanese studio?
Yes, Tango is the only Japanese dev studio. Mikami will be replaced by someone else and they'll continue.

According to a Tango dev (important but not a highest tier one) interviewed by a smallish Spanish channel in a very recent interview said MS is happy with Hi-Fi Rush launch results. And MS/Bethesda were happy with them before it, so I don't see any reason to be absorved, sold or shut down.

They are now being dissolved as an own studio and merged with other teams, probably with some fat trimming during the process. A bit like what happened to Japan Studio.
Japan Studio wasn't dissolved, it was restructured spliting them into two separate studios: one for its internal development part merging its different teams and another one for its 2nd party publishing part, which like the other 2nd party publishing teams from Sony in other regions were reporting to a local gamedev team and moved to now report to XDEV, the global Sony 2nd party publishing team.

They also changed the management of both teams trimming the fat, promoting other folks and both are now growing.

Holy shit, we all knew shit was bad, but this announcement barely took a month after the disastrous release of their game.
It wasn't a disaster, it was a next gen only console exclusive new IP but charted in the ranking of several countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko