Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered | PC - PS5 - PS4 | Graphics Comparison & FPS Test

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered | PC - PS5 - PS4 | Graphics Comparison & FPS Test​

PS4 65,56Gb 1080p/30fps
PS5 55,50Gb Fidelity Mode: 2160p/30fps with IGTI and Ray-Tracing RT Performance Mode: Dynamic 1440p/60fps with IGTI and Ray-Tracing
Performance Mode: Dynamic 2160p/60fps with IGTI
PC 66,46Gb 2160p with Nvidia RTX 3080 at Max. Settings​

- I recommend you to buy Spider-Man Remastered for PC at Instant-Gaming with a 24% discount: https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/119... - This comparison has been made with the latest software version of the game updated on August 10 and its corresponding Nvidia 516.94 drivers. - The PC version allows us to adjust FOV, achieving a larger field of view with respect to the console version. - The game includes the possibility of using IGTI (Insomniac Games Temporal Injection), the same temporal reconstruction technique used in the PS5 version. However, the results are inferior to those offered by DLSS or FSR 2.0. - Ray Tracing has some inconsistencies in the PC version. Some geometries are not displayed correctly and reflections have more noise than in the PS5 version. During the last few days, Nixxes has dedicated updates to RT, so I do not rule out that these bugs will be fixed in the future. - FSR 2.0 is a substantial improvement over version 1.0, but still lags behind DLSS in terms of visual quality. This is most noticeable in performance and ultra performance modes. - On PC there are slight improvements in shading, ambient occlusion and scene texturing at maximum settings. - The game is very demanding in terms of performance. Without a good processor or the recommended 32Gb of RAM for 4K will cause a very noticeable bottleneck. - Vsync sometimes did not work properly. Forcing it from the Nvidia control panel can be a good temporary solution. - Changing graphics settings without restarting the game may negatively affect performance or cause crashes. - As a curiosity, this is the first time I've seen a game with dynamic DLSS or FSR based on a target framerate.

Source : ElAnalistaDeBits - YouTube Channel

D

Deleted member 13

Yes it does. I preloaded it yesterday. I hope to actually finish the game this time instead of putting it down.

Reactions: TubzGaming

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

They posted a table for Steam Deck to match PS5 with it resolution.
BTW HBAO+ seems to be bugged so they recommend to use SSAO.

PS5 Performance RTPS5 FidelityPC Optimised Settings
Texture QualityHighHighHigh
Anisotropic Filtering4x4x8x
Shadow QualityHighHighHigh
Ambient OcclusionSSAOSSAOSSAO
RT Reflections ResolutionHighHighHigh
RT Reflections Geo QualityHighHighHigh
RT Reflections Object Range7/8~108
Hair QualityMedium-HighHighHigh
Level of DetailHighHighHigh
Crowd DensityLow-MediumMedium-HighLow
Traffic DensityUnknownUnknownLow
Depth of Field QualityMedium/HighMedium/HighLow

Conclusion.

Ultimately, this port has turned out beautifully and I'm happy with it - but the stuttering GPU utilisation during traversal on 1060/580 class hardware and likely lower is problematic, but I'm told that Nixxes is still looking at improving the situation still further. I also feel that the game is still somewhat CPU-heavy - and would like to see further optimisation there. Beyond that, we're looking at a game that has transitioned gracefully across from console to PC, offering all of the quality of life improvements I'd like to see - and then some. I'd like to see easily accessible config.cfg files for tweaking (I'm not even sure where this file resides on PC, or whether there is one at all!) but at this point we're veering hard into nit-pick territory - which demonstrates just how impressive this release actually is overall!

It is very weird they call a PS4 game CPU-heavy running on PC but that is me.
After all it was made to run on 8 Jaguar cores.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mansoor1980
D

Deleted member 13

Very interesting that the Steam Deck can match the RT of the PS5. I'll have to check into that.

Also, the two platforms are different and their SKUs are different. PC CPU demands will be larger than the console CPUs. It's just that much overhead on the PC.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Very interesting that the Steam Deck can match the RT of the PS5. I'll have to check into that.

Also, the two platforms are different and their SKUs are different. PC CPU demands will be larger than the console CPUs. It's just that much overhead on the PC.
Maybe it is due the resolution? I mean Steam Deck are matching PS5 settings at 720p.
Plus the RT settings are tied to the render resolution?
I mean RT Reflections Resolution High on Steam Deck could be way lower than High on PS5 due the render resolution being different.
I'm not affirming... just thinking a bit.

Exemple.

Base render 720p.
RT Reflections Resolution = High means the RT Reflection are being generated at 3/4 render resolution (480p)

Base render 1080p.
RT Reflections Resolution = High means the RT Reflection are being generated at 3/4 render resolution (900p)

Or something like that.
They use these settings but a lot of gaming settings are tied to render resolution. .. so it is not a like to like scenario imo.

About the CPU I never thought it was that big after all Jaguar is several times slower than what you have at minimum specs in CPU on PC nowdays... it should have room to spare any level of overhead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

Maybe it is due the resolution? I mean Steam Deck are matching PS5 settings at 720p.
There are certain situations where the game can get into a CPU-limited state. They are going off of their readings using RivaTuner or whatever.

Plus the RT settings are tied to the render resolution?
Yes.

I mean RT Reflections Resolution High on Steam Deck could be way lower than High on PS5 due the render resolution being different.
No. The game doesn't know it's running on the Steam Deck. Changing that RT is going to use the AMD graphics chip on the SD and run it using the shader cores. There is no special programming for the SD in the engine code.

I'm not affirming... just thinking a bit.
Np.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
ILikeFeet's summary.

• reconstruction video coming later
  • has a launcher upon prior to boot
  • 4:3 support for glorious CRT play
  • 21:9 and 32:9 support
    • hella cenimatic
  • has good fov slider
  • real exclusive fullscreen support
  • graphic setting changes happen in real time
  • not many, if any, shader compilation stutters
    • handled upon first boot, in the menu, and on the fly
    • cause high CPU load
  • has very fast boot time, 6.5s from steam menu
  • config file isn't findable
  • intro skip button is only on keyboard
  • load times are good, but slower than ps5
    • 1.92s on ps5, 3.03 on 3.5GB/s pc
    • cpu doesn't seem to matter
  • recommended settings (rtx 2060, 1440p)
    • 6GB gpu - high textures
    • 8GB gpu - v.high textures, lower rt
    • 10GB gpu - max it out
    • SSAO, hbao+ seems to not be working?
    • dof at medium or high, 1/4 res, same as ps5
      • low, v.low is 1/8 res
      • 2060 level should use low
    • hair quality - medium, same as fidelity RT on ps5
      • no performance rt equivalent
    • TAA is similar to IQ in PS5, DLSS is the best option if you can use it
    • shadows on ps5 is close to high
    • object lod - high setting is ps5 equivalent
    • crowds/traffic - medium/high are similar to ps5
      • performance rt has no equivalent
      • use low traffic, can't see a difference
    • texture quality - 4x on ps5, use 8x or 16x on pc
    • ray tracing
      • high rt resolution (1/2 res)
      • high rt geo quality
      • object range is heavy on the cpu
        • 1 kept it above 60fps
        • 6 on R5 3600
  • the game is cpu-limited
    • bvh building is very heavy
    • decompression on the cpu
    • storage speed isn't even close to a problem
  • DRS is fine grained in resolution, coarse on ps5
    • definitely recommended to have on
  • frametime spikes do happen on low end gpus, even on slightly higher like 2060s
  • a good port and has better user experience in settings than a great many ports

Reactions: Deleted member 13

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
After watching it I found the issue with CPU @VFX_Veteran.

The CPU is doing heavy asset decompression from HDD/SSD on PC... it is something consoles do in dedicated units and not PC (yes PS4 and XB1 have dedicated decompression units too).

That now makes sense.

That is something DirectStorage second version will try to fix... today DirectStorage still uses CPU for decompression... there is research between MS and nVidia to offload it to GPU.

D

Deleted member 13

After watching it I found the issue with CPU @VFX_Veteran.

The CPU is doing heavy asset decompression from HDD/SSD on PC... it is something consoles do in dedicated units and not PC (yes PS4 and XB1 have dedicated decompression units too).

That now makes sense.

That is something DirectStorage second version will try to fix... today DirectStorage still uses CPU for decompression... there is research between MS and nVidia to offload it to GPU.
Yea they mentioned that in the video. That would be the CPU limitation there. I'm playing Spiderman now and the framerate is all over the place outside in the city. Indoors it's completely locked to 60FPS.

D

Deleted member 13

ILikeFeet's summary.

• reconstruction video coming later
  • has a launcher upon prior to boot
  • 4:3 support for glorious CRT play
  • 21:9 and 32:9 support
    • hella cenimatic
  • has good fov slider
  • real exclusive fullscreen support
  • graphic setting changes happen in real time
  • not many, if any, shader compilation stutters
    • handled upon first boot, in the menu, and on the fly
    • cause high CPU load
  • has very fast boot time, 6.5s from steam menu
  • config file isn't findable
  • intro skip button is only on keyboard
  • load times are good, but slower than ps5
    • 1.92s on ps5, 3.03 on 3.5GB/s pc
    • cpu doesn't seem to matter
  • recommended settings (rtx 2060, 1440p)
    • 6GB gpu - high textures
    • 8GB gpu - v.high textures, lower rt
    • 10GB gpu - max it out
    • SSAO, hbao+ seems to not be working?
    • dof at medium or high, 1/4 res, same as ps5
      • low, v.low is 1/8 res
      • 2060 level should use low
    • hair quality - medium, same as fidelity RT on ps5
      • no performance rt equivalent
    • TAA is similar to IQ in PS5, DLSS is the best option if you can use it
    • shadows on ps5 is close to high
    • object lod - high setting is ps5 equivalent
    • crowds/traffic - medium/high are similar to ps5
      • performance rt has no equivalent
      • use low traffic, can't see a difference
    • texture quality - 4x on ps5, use 8x or 16x on pc
    • ray tracing
      • high rt resolution (1/2 res)
      • high rt geo quality
      • object range is heavy on the cpu
        • 1 kept it above 60fps
        • 6 on R5 3600
  • the game is cpu-limited
    • bvh building is very heavy
    • decompression on the cpu
    • storage speed isn't even close to a problem
  • DRS is fine grained in resolution, coarse on ps5
    • definitely recommended to have on
  • frametime spikes do happen on low end gpus, even on slightly higher like 2060s
  • a good port and has better user experience in settings than a great many ports
Dude, thank you very much for this info!

I took my object range in RT (reflections) down to 1 and sure enough, the FPS is locked at 60FPS. Everything else is at Max settings! Now I get smooth gameplay all over the city!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Dude, thank you very much for this info!

I took my object range in RT (reflections) down to 1 and sure enough, the FPS is locked at 60FPS. Everything else is at Max settings! Now I get smooth gameplay all over the city!
ILikeFeet on ERA made the summary I just copied ;)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Should be interesting to see 7GB/s NVMe SSD.
Against a 3.5GB/s NVMe is at least 62% slower.

gRx7PNy.jpg

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
No big differences aside from quite "HUGE" Rt difference. The 400$ ps5 is doing surprisingly very good in all aspects aside from RT.... and the game is 20$ on ps5!
So yeah. Good there is a way to push RT on pc but it's just the same game.
And I am not fan of tens of low/med/high/ultra/max/hiper settings that all looks the same and perform the same.
Cmon have more impactful settings or dont waste my time

D

Deleted member 13

No big differences aside from quite "HUGE" Rt difference. The 400$ ps5 is doing surprisingly very good in all aspects aside from RT.... and the game is 20$ on ps5!
So yeah. Good there is a way to push RT on pc but it's just the same game.
And I am not fan of tens of low/med/high/ultra/max/hiper settings that all looks the same and perform the same.
Cmon have more impactful settings or dont waste my time
That's just simply not true.

The big difference in visuals with PC is that it can run native 4k and every graphics feature just pops because of it. It's really just like the HFW full native 4k mode. Everything looks much better.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
That's just simply not true.

The big difference in visuals with PC is that it can run native 4k and every graphics feature just pops because of it. It's really just like the HFW full native 4k mode. Everything looks much better.
Native 4k is great for sure. I am the person who fights for real 4k of course!
but still it's not a big difference. Even the biggest difference which is RT, is not as visible in usual spider man viewing conditions

uMgwZSV.jpg

Without RT, it would be a challenge to tell the ports apart "looking at the video".
For sure it would be easier looking at a real game on 4k screen

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
but still it's not a big difference. Even the biggest difference which is RT, is not as visible in usual spider man viewing conditions

uMgwZSV.jpg

Without RT, it would be a challenge to tell the ports apart "looking at the video".
To be fair I find the RT reflexion in these shots subpar even on PC.
Something is off or not well implemented.

In that regards I believe you can do way better using Ray-tracing.

That maybe is why some guys says good PBR will do the same or even better… but I understand too that is because RT reflections are not being fully utilized that should look way better than these pictures.

Reactions: rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
To be fair I find the RT reflexion in these shots subpar even on PC.
Something is off or not well implemented.

In that regards I believe you can do way better using Ray-tracing.
yeah what I find strange about RT in this game at all is that it's constructing another different image rather than mirroring perfectly what should be there like most other RT games.
This is what RT was supposed to be about... so it's effortless to just reflect what you can't see. Not this lod crap and "what not to reflect" game

Reactions: ethomaz
D

Deleted member 13

uMgwZSV.jpg

Nah. In motion, I can tell in the texture detail and the anisotropic filtering being 16x as opposed to 4x. The textures are more blurred. The hair rendering is less noisy because of the strands of hair lining up with the higher resolution backbuffer. Also, shadows are crisper and the geometry detail doesnt' alias as much. Also there is no need to do upsampling from 1440p which blurs out the details across the board.

D

Deleted member 13

yeah what I find strange about RT in this game at all is that it's constructing another different image rather than mirroring perfectly what should be there like most other RT games.
This is what RT was supposed to be about... so it's effortless to just reflect what you can't see. Not this lod crap and "what not to reflect" game
RT reflections is extremely expensive. You can get caught up in a recursive loop that never ends and hogs memory. That's why SSR is still used for bigger objects to save on computing the intersections for those. Basically hardware isn't strong enough for RT yet (at least not accurately).