Matt Piscatella reacts to comment: Playing time is an irrelevant stat. What are you opinions?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sounds like some shit Microsoft would say to prove Sea of Thieves 35 million players were a legit figure 😂

The major gripe I have with this frivolous statement is the more a consumer plays a game the higher the probability they actually enjoy the game and will invest in a sequel or invest in it ala mtx. Just my assumption based off common sense. Just like I said years ago Microsoft saying console sales don't matter was asanine and that they just cared about Gamepass subs, that was a dumb angle as console sales would lead to more GP subs! We all know how tht turned out :)

1710360931158.png

1710360880481.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The major gripe I have with this frivolous statement is the more a consumer plays a game the higher the probability they actually enjoy the game and will invest in a sequel or invest in it ala mtx. Just my assumption based off common sense. Just like I said years ago Microsoft saying console sales don't matter just Gamepass subs do and that was as asanine argument as console sales would lead to more GP subs! We all know how tht turned out :)

Last edited:

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
Is this Piscatella warring with the fanbois again on twitter? Quoting someone's tweet to stir up more shit?

This isn't his quote, he's drawing attention to something someone said to him that ruined his day once again 100%.

Don't be shocked if it gets deleted within the hour when he cools down.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Is this Piscatella warring with the fanbois again on twitter? Quoting someone's tweet to stir up more shit?

This isn't his quote, he's drawing attention to something someone said to him that ruined his day once again 100%.

Don't be shocked if it gets deleted within the hour when he cools down.
OH I know it's not his tweet I mean the Pic is in the OP. He seems to be making fun of the comment.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's the typical issue. It's a nonsense stat when it's used to mask other problems, the big one being sales. We recently saw it with Starfield where a bunch of numbers "in the millions" were shared, but if you divided it up by the number of players they said they had, it worked out to the average person killing one or two enemies, or spending five minutes doing a particular task etc.

If a game sells a lot, and is played a lot, how is time spent playing meaningless? By the same token, if a game undersells and a company tries to mask the the issue by saying "we have a million hours played," in that case, it is a meaningless stat.

It's all in how the data is used and presented. Is it telling a story of success, or a lie to mask failure?

Mat should know this.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Money made seems like a much more straight forward number.

Not all games need to be a time sink and wasting the player time by isn't something valuable.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's the typical issue. It's a nonsense stat when it's used to mask other problems, the big one being sales. We recently saw it with Starfield where a bunch of numbers "in the millions" were shared, but if you divided it up by the number of players they said they had, it worked out to the average person killing one or two enemies, or spending five minutes doing a particular task etc.

If a game sells a lot, and is played a lot, how is time spent playing meaningless? By the same token, if a game undersells and a company tries to mask the the issue by saying "we have a million hours played," in that case, it is a meaningless stat.

It's all in how the data is used and presented. Is it telling a story of success, or a lie to mask failure?

Mat should know this.
I think Matt is actually making fun of the comment. His response seems to be making light of it..

1710363566751.png

"ughhh... Just because. I guess."

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Mat has gone full retard in the past while. Imagine additional funding outside the full time job.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Hard disagree. Surprising he would say something so silly.

A game can be mega hyped and sell 5 million day one…. 5 million could then play 10 mins and think it’s actually a drizzling slimy turd.

Time and engagement def matters… like wtf

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's possible. Honestly hard for me to tell with the way he wrote that, and also in conjunction with some of his pretty ridiculous recent takes.
Yeah at first I thought he was agreeing but as i read his little comment and the adolescent nature of it and it sounding sarcastic in my mind I'm assuming he's not sincere in agreeing.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Amazing how quickly these people flip flops around and then act sarcastically to cover their tracks.
Im sure he's being sarcastic to the quite but either way I dislike Matt he's been having some real bozo hot takes lately.