Matt Piscatella: Sub. growth has flattened & sub services account for only 10% video game spending in the US. |UP| Still stagnant & stalled.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Update 5/8

Mat Piscatella from Circana/NPD says that the growth for gaming subscription services is still "stalled"​

Also 4/5

Mat Piscatella: US Video Game Hardware Market Peaked in 2008, young people not buying consoles much; Every company looking to expand beyond consoles.​

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Remember at the start of this gen when it was claimed that Game Pass would kill the PS5 despite everything saying otherwise?

I mean, even the PS5 logo reveal got more likes than the Xbox Series reveal video
Yeah when everyone well the fanboys thought everyone would migrate to Xbox and game pass. Before tht it was everyone buying an Xbox X bcus of the mighty 1.5 Tera flop advantage and ohhhh my fav Xbox s would kill it bcus it's affordable.

Smh

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
So this is why cod is not in gampeass now and will probably never will be.

Reactions: pop

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Good.

Subscriptions are merely a means of distribution. A conduit for selling gaming content buffet style.

Only thing standing still is the online paywall for PS Plus. We get the console market right on that and it should be smooth sailing. Obv don't give two fucks about MS on their way out.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Sub services at only 10% Hmmm not looking gd especially for Microsoft.
Don't be so quick to judge Microsoft Vs the industry as we don't know the rest of the figures.

Sure, playstation could make up 20% of the spend, but if mobile or mtx makes up the majority (50%+) then that isn't good for anyone.
But people shout at me that console sales don't matter and subs are the future.

This doesn't make sense.... /S
Subs are the future, it's just that the future is riddled with owning nothing, moar mtx and more gauging. It isn't the future we want.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
To become 3rd-party?
Buying Bethesda makes sense to become a 3rd party. They've got a lot of good teams still capable of original AAA games. And it's not an unheard-of cost.

Activision is an assembly line for the production of Call of Duty. There's obviously value to King and Blizzard, but the bulk of that $70B is the cost of owning Call of Duty. Buying Call of Duty and making it Xbox exclusive has a grandiose logic to it if MS is determined to turn Xbox around and really hurt Playstation in the US.

If they just want to be a publisher, it'll take nearly 10 years to start seeing a return and that's only if Call of Duty stays popular. They didn't need to do it.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Don't be so quick to judge Microsoft Vs the industry as we don't know the rest of the figures.

Sure, playstation could make up 20% of the spend, but if mobile or mtx makes up the majority (50%+) then that isn't good for anyone.

Subs are the future, it's just that the future is riddled with owning nothing, moar mtx and more gauging. It isn't the future we want.
No need to know we have tons of numbers on software, hardware sales, profit and revnue for Sony and others. Microsoft is banking hard on Gp hence not looking good especially for Microsoft. My comment still stands.

Reactions: pop

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Stole this from 4chan but it’s a great point:

“The best way I've seen it put is that imagine any exclusive you can think of on Xbox. Now imagine that it's releasing on Epic Game Store. Is that game saving EGS? Is it moving the needles in anyway and helping EGS compete against Steam? Xbox fans don't like to hear it, but they're in the same state that EGS currently is except that EGS even has Fortnite as an exclusive and it can't seem to move the needle. EGS tried giving away free games and nothing, it tried nabbing major exclusives and nothing, people wait until the game is off EGS and then buy it on Steam in droves. Phil was correct that exclusives won't save Xbox because there is no saving Xbox. Mattrick killed the brand over a decade ago.”

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
No need to know we have tons of numbers on software, hardware sales, profit and revnue for Sony and others. Microsoft is banking hard on Gp hence not looking good especially for Microsoft. My comment still stands.
Your comment stands correct, from the point of view of Sony Vs Microsoft. I want to know what the overall figures are across the industry. If Sony are no longer the dominant company in the industry, and the majority of revenue is made from mobile, gatcha and MTX, then their feud with Microsoft becomes pointless and Sony becomes a drop in the ocean.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
GEDHIJtXEAA7j-N