(May Have Spoilers! You are warned) What game or games really got you emotionally invested in them? ?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
In one of the TLOU threads we had a few comments talking about the major death of one character and it's pros and cons. A few ppl mentioned how that point of the game emotionally invested them in it. I'm curious what game/s did you play that emotionally grasped you?

For me obviously the before mentioned death in Tlou 2..

1705244706753.png

It gripped me, made me feel like $&#@ that they all have to pay! I really couldn't believe what I was watching and how it occurred. I was actually first upset with the devs but came to terms and appreciated the shock value (plus I knew it was coming).

My second pick is...

Heavy rain. A story about A serial killer, missing child and the Fathers determination to find him. It was emotional, graphically ahead of its time and a great story. It had multiple endings and I replayed it several times. The whole atmosphere was just off the charts. I felt like I literally played through the life of the character.

1705244848023.png

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
When I saw the thread title I remembered that after having played games during almost 40 years probably hundreds or thousands of games, TLOU2 has been the only one that made me hate their devs (in this case the writers) because of what they did to Joel.

They killed a gaming icon in an humilliating way and just after it a character who looks like the game director insults and spits the corpse, adding a cursing word in Spanish "rot in hell, pendejo" because other than that that awful tokenism character the only thing he does in the game is to throw a few random filler sentencces adding cursing words in Spanish at the end just to check 'latino' in their forced "inclusivity" checklist.

And well, killed that iconic gaming character and by doing that also killed what made this IP special: the magic that there was in the relationship between the charismatic and iconic Joel and Ellie. They also failed to replace that duo with a more woke and uncharismatic poorly written duo: an ugly man-looking woman (looks like trans to the point that he had a sex scene and was anal) and a trans kid.

They destroyed the story with all that woke propaganda and forced "inclusivity" bullshit with a lot of tokenism characters, resulting in like half of the game that it would have been better if cut because it's basically only filler tokenism characters poorly trying to justify their inclusion in the game adding basically nothing to the story and feels specially bloated because they are in a middle of a cliffhanger during a flashback that seems it's going to be something short and you want it to end to see what happens next but ends being as long as TLOU1. And you keep getting tokenism stuff and trying to unsuccessfully make that failed replacement monster likable.

It's a shame because I was a big fan of the Uncharted and TLOU games also because of their stories and characters, but with the woke stuff they started to derail a bit in Uncharted 4 and then went full woke in Lost Legacy and TLOU2 losing their focus on making appealing stories and character to instead focus on including woke stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
When I saw the thread title I remembered that after having played games during almost 40 years probably hundreds or thousands of games, TLOU2 has been the only one that made me hate their devs (in this case the writers) because of what they did to

Broooo I was so pissed off at the time. I remember getting ready to rage quit and throw something but I just stopped playing for a few.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1 - The narrator in Baldur's Gate 3

2 - That plot twist in KOTOR.

3 - Morrigan in Dragon Age Origins leaving me right after getting into my pants. She used me!
Never finished Origins, couldn't get into it but maybe I should.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Cyberpunk cause of him.
00ea90ff7db7ead0aabfac206d23bae5e1fb6fe8.gif

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
When I saw the thread title I remembered that after having played games during almost 40 years probably hundreds or thousands of games, TLOU2 has been the only one that made me hate their devs (in this case the writers) because of what they did to Joel.

They killed a gaming icon in an humilliating way and just after it a character who looks like the game director insults and spits the corpse, adding a cursing word in Spanish "rot in hell, pendejo" because other than that that awful tokenism character the only thing he does in the game is to throw a few random filler sentencces adding cursing words in Spanish at the end just to check 'latino' in their forced "inclusivity" checklist.

And well, killed that iconic gaming character and by doing that also killed what made this IP special: the magic that there was in the relationship between the charismatic and iconic Joel and Ellie. They also failed to replace that duo with a more woke and uncharismatic poorly written duo: an ugly man-looking woman (looks like trans to the point that he had a sex scene and was anal) and a trans kid.

They destroyed the story with all that woke propaganda and forced "inclusivity" bullshit with a lot of tokenism characters, resulting in like half of the game that it would have been better if cut because it's basically only filler tokenism characters poorly trying to justify their inclusion in the game adding basically nothing to the story and feels specially bloated because they are in a middle of a cliffhanger during a flashback that seems it's going to be something short and you want it to end to see what happens next but ends being as long as TLOU1. And you keep getting tokenism stuff and trying to unsuccessfully make that failed replacement monster likable.

It's a shame because I was a big fan of the Uncharted and TLOU games also because of their stories and characters, but with the woke stuff they started to derail a bit in Uncharted 4 and then went full woke in Lost Legacy and TLOU2 losing their focus on making appealing stories and character to instead focus on including woke stuff.
Joel was a twat

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Joel was a twat
So was every other character in that universe, including Abby's father, who was willing to cut a child up, even though he had no idea if the cure could be made.

I honestly have no idea where this sudden hate of Joel comes from. Ever since the first game released people discussed how shitty Joel was. It's nothing new.

But as soon as TLOU2 came out, all of a sudden he's the worst character ever, as if that criticism somehow deflects from the criticism of TLOU2. Really strange argument shift all of a sudden. TLOU sub was pretty dead set on shitting on the first game for that very reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yurinka
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Damn I had forgot and got to the part when the kid turned in tlou 1 smh yeah tht shit was a strong, emotional part!

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Death Stranding hit me more on the how genious the gameplay loop was than emotional.

I mean the whole world was a big puzzle… I loved it.
Haven't played more than five hours of it but I've been tempted to try to get back into it.

Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I had forgotten about the part in which the Lil boy in part 1 got bitten but didn't tell no one and when Ellie went to chk on him he was turned. I was like "ahhh man how did I forget this!"

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I had forgotten about the part in which the Lil boy in part 1 got bitten but didn't tell no one and when Ellie went to chk on him he was turned. I was like "ahhh man how did I forget this!"
same here, that was good

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Shinada’s story in Yakuza 5 really hit me. The guy was living his dream and let it be taken away from him to avoid disillusioning millions if he defended himself against the accusations of cheating levelled at him, yet still holds on to his optimism and tries to help out those worse off than himself, or that he sees as more deserving of help than he is.

• Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78