(May Have Spoilers! You are warned) What game or games really got you emotionally invested in them? ?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
So was every other character in that universe, including Abby's father, who was willing to cut a child up, even though he had no idea if the cure could be made.

I honestly have no idea where this sudden hate of Joel comes from. Ever since the first game released people discussed how shitty Joel was. It's nothing new.

But as soon as TLOU2 came out, all of a sudden he's the worst character ever, as if that criticism somehow deflects from the criticism of TLOU2. Really strange argument shift all of a sudden. TLOU sub was pretty dead set on shitting on the first game for that very reason.
In the audio log that was apparently removed from the remaster and Part I release, it is actually clearly expressed that there’s pretty much no chance a vaccine is even possible, making Joel’s choice the only right thing to do in the end.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnic

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
In the audio log that was apparently removed from the remaster and Part I release, it is actually clearly expressed that there’s pretty much no chance a vaccine is even possible, making Joel’s choice the only right thing to do in the end.
Clearly unintended by ND. You can see it on interviews that they clearly set out to create their own version of the trolley problem but the art team and the people writing secondary story content made the Fireflies looks like a bunch of bums that would never be able to create a vaccine.

The idea is that Joel would chose saving Ellie over saving humanity. If he knew that it would 100% work he would still save Ellie, that is who Joel is. He would even do it again if he knew what would happen to him in the end.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Clearly unintended by ND. You can see it on interviews that they clearly set out to create their own version of the trolley problem but the art team and the people writing secondary story content made the Fireflies looks like a bunch of bums that would never be able to create a vaccine.

The idea is that Joel would chose saving Ellie over saving humanity. If he knew that it would 100% work he would still save Ellie, that is who Joel is. He would even do it again if he knew what would happen to him in the end.
Just finished this two minutes ago. Yeah Joel didn't gaf all he cared about was Ellie.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Absolutely, but for those who found that recording, the ending came off a lot different.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
So that's the damn thing. I could have sworn there was an audio tape in the hospital about that but I could never find it in the PS4 remaster.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Absolutely, but for those who found that recording, the ending came off a lot different.
I agree. The thing is, it was never meant to be a player choice and what people call retcons are just ND trying to fix stuff that gave an unintended impression the first game.

Joel being sure it wouldn't work sort of invalidate the conundrum of the first game ending. If the game gave that impression is was clearly by mistake (and I agree that it did, because I too red the logs the first time I played and was not convinced in the slightest that they would be able to develop anything).

The whole thing surrounding Ellie being special and the very convenient way that she would need to die is the weakest aspect of the first game. The game would work a lot better if recreated the ending with another set up (like both Joel and Ellie being fireflies and Joel betraying the organization to spare her life or something like that).

Last edited: