Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2024 (Oct 07 - Oct 13)

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
but the game is doing well in the US and the UK as well

In the UK it ranked below a new boxing game(undisputed) from and new and unknown studio.

Undisputed didn't really have the marketing or word of mouth of refantazio either. Although that might be different in the uk compared to other places.

Refantazio did meh in the uk.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
not a new and unknown publisher, howeve
Uhm have you seen the push for this game? It's been the developer pushing it more then deepsilver. Also deepsilver isn't exactly popular like other publishers, heck sega is more popular nowadays.
also its a sports game, and a popular sport in the UK at that
I don't know why you'd mention a sports game as a "this is surely not that successful" in a market where sports games repeatedly dominate sales charts
I know this isn't Fifa or Madden but its still a popular sport from a known and significant publisher
between it being in the top 5 in the uk, top five in japan, and breaking sales records for atlus I don't know why you guys live in denial about this
Boxing games have never been hugely popular nor huge sellers regardless of the market. It's one of the reasons why ea probably dumped the fight night series.

It's why no else has risked creating a boxing game as boxing as a whole has been on a massive decline and boxing games appeal to a very small market, which is even smaller now.

UFC ate it's lunch.

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Metaphor must have sold the best in Japan, In US it has never risen above the 10th spot for PS and I dont think it sold thousands of copies digitally. The assumption of poor sales will be validated if the physical copies are sold for 30% off by the end of the month just like yakuza 8 which will mean they overshipped

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
but the game is doing well in the UK as well

EDIT: removed US because I can't find any stats specifically for North America
I'm kind of baffled everyone's focus on the marketing. I've not met a person who was unaware the game was on Playstation. I've met people that didn't know the game existed, but not people unaware its on Playstation. Atlus hasn't made an Xbox exclusive since SMT Nine in 2002.

Anecdotal evidence isn't always the best evidence; your network of friends & associates might have similar tastes & awareness levels for the same games, so of course they'd know about it.

I'm speaking about console owners who would be new to the IP, the developer, and the genre. Some of them may not know if the game at all or not very well in the West due to the marketing deal. Remember, SEGA/Atlus could not mention PlayStation OR Steam in ANY of the Western marketing. At all.

That is unprecedented for a game that is a 3P, even when a platform holder has a marketing deal.

Try going to a Japanese retail website and finding a PS5 available to buy.

What's the point of filling the supply chain if demand doesn't require it?

Terrible Metaphor numbers 🤧

Nah; all things considered they're pretty good. It's a new IP and the chart doesn't include digital, meanwhile we already know the digital share is going to be higher combined due to growth of PC in the market and Steam picking up a lot of the digital sales (probably at least 50/50 PS/Steam for digital in Japan for the game, could lean a bit more towards Steam).

Honestly, anyone thinking the Metaphor numbers are bad SHOULD be asking "where's Xbox?". This was a Day 1 release on Xbox and yet AFAIK, the game is nowhere on the physical charts for that platform. Meaning digital sales are likely not much better for it there. When Phil Spencer or whoever at Microsoft tries crying again about the lack of (natural) Japanese support for Xbox, just point to these sales charts for Metaphor and show them why.

If the situation by some insanity repeats in the US (where MS have been advertising the game fairly well, IMO), then that's all the proof any Japanese/Asian 3P and most Western 3P will require: you simply don't need Xbox (as it currently is) to reach the vast majority of your customer base (current & potential).

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Installbase keep with weird understanding of PS5 hardware lol
They can't check stocks at all?

PS5 Slim: Only 4 used left in stock from 3rd-party

PS5 Old DE: only used by 3rd-party.

PS5 Old: out of stock.

It come back in stock by units in each week.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What's the point of filling the supply chain if demand doesn't require it?

What a ridiculous response.

If it's entirely sold out, clearly supply isn't meeting demand. That doesn't mean you flood the supply, but clearly there is more demand than these charts suggest.

You're getting worse at this as you go or maybe you were always this bad but you've just become more vocal.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Seems like Atlus UNDERSHIPPED Metaphor PS5 version in Japan 🔥

[PS5] Metaphor: ReFantazio # <RPG> (Atlus) {2024.10.11} (¥8.980) - 82.827 / NEW <80-100%>

They could had sold more if more PS5 version where available.
PS4 version shipment was fine for launch where you left 20-30% of the shipment to be sold in the second week.

[PS4] Metaphor: ReFantazio # <RPG> (Atlus) {2024.10.11} (¥8.980) - 25.385 / NEW <60-80%>

Somebody said on Installbase that 35% of the launch shipment to Japan were pre-orders... so over half of the shipment was sold at the stores in the launch.

Edit -

Silent Hill 2 PS5 version was undershipped too.

[PS5] Silent Hill 2 <ADV> (Konami) {2024.10.08} (¥7.800) - 29.374 / NEW <80-100%>

Dragon Ball not.

[PS5] Dragon Ball: Sparking! Zero <FTG> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2024.10.10} (¥8.100) - 63.922 / NEW <60-80%>

Last edited:
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If you guys are interested in some others asian counties.

(Taiwan)
01./00. [PS5] Metaphor: ReFantazio <RPG> (Atlus) {2024.10.11}
02./00. [PS5] Silent Hill 2 <ADV> (Konami) {2024.10.08}
03./00. [PS5] Dragon Ball: Sparking! Zero <FTG> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2024.10.10}
04./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom <ADV> (Nintendo) {2024.09.26}
05./00. [PS5] Astro Bot <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2024.09.06}

(South Korea)
01./00. [PS5] Metaphor: ReFantazio <RPG> (Atlus) {2024.10.11}
02./00. [PS5] Dragon Ball: Sparking! Zero <FTG> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2024.10.10}
03./00. [PS5] Silent Hill 2 <ADV> (Konami) {2024.10.08}
04./02. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
05./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom <ADV> (Nintendo) {2024.09.26}