Media Molecule Co-Founders biggest regret with Dreams was not focusing on multiplayer. Understands "new IP is more of a game than a creative tool.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
they're Sony's most incompetent studio, probably gonna be closed very soon if their new IP is a flop, the right thing would be to bet on what they know they can make a success, a LittleBigPlanet 4 would be the obvious game to do after the failure of Dreams

Reactions: Shadow2027
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Incompetent I don't get behind especially since almost all their games are highly rated. Sony just had them as a tech developer however they could easily be tht gaas dev. LBP did well with dlc and was ripe for gaas aspects.

Reactions: Orangee

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Their biggest regret should be not launching it on PC day and date and making it PlayStations version of Roblox

But I don't get the hate some have for this studio, they're very talented. Hopefully they will strike gold with their next game... I'd hate to see them get axed.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony didn't support Dreams at all, I dont think it was ever advertised or pushed by them in anyway after initial launch. There were a lot of cool creations they could've showcased, but they just pretended like the game didn't exist

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Yeah, one of the few games that made sense for a PC port
Which makes me question exactly what they dissected from the failure of dreams postpartum, if they think not focusing on multiplayer was their biggest mishap.

But I wish them all the best.

Reactions: Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
all they had to do was add sackboy and call it Littlebigplanet: dreams and market it as a fully realised and 3d littlebigplanet

Port it to PC and add multiplayer, it would have become the next roblox easy

Such a wasted opportunity

Banana

10 Jan 2023
At the very least this game should have had the ability to use mouse and keyboard. I picked it up when it launched to early access, but using a controller for that was awful.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
I hope it comes out on PC, Dreams would have benefited from a PC release, I hope the new game doesn't repeat that mistake

24 Jun 2022
I can't even call the PC port beggars, port beggars anymore. One look at SIE's trajectory and it's no reason they feel these games are a guarantee and should be Day 1 in all cases.

Happy to hop off the (console) ship before it sinks. Now, where's my lifesaver vest....

• haha
Reactions: Banana

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
So creative but so boneheaded in so many ways

Dreams animation system was junk so it made most the games feel junk. Having interesting ways to make interesting gameplay should have been priority 1 and the easiest part of making a game

Didn't see the big picture with multiplayer. That was 90% of LBPs appeal. How did they not know that?

Didn't see the big picture with monetisation. You really expect people to make games for free? Beyond experimenting. Roblox stole their lunch cause you can make money in it and it came out way earlier. They made a YouTube for games that you can't make money on....

Missed the opportunity to relaunch with all those features in place with a PC port. Probably one of the few games on PS that completely make sense for a PC port

Never made a native PS5 version

Instead of doing the above they fucked around with VR functionality. Who used that in the cross section of Dreams users and PSVR users? I doubt even 100 people

Hopefully their change of staff can retain the creativity but make wiser project decisions

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
So creative but so boneheaded in so many ways

Dreams animation system was junk so it made most the games feel junk. Having interesting ways to make interesting gameplay should have been priority 1 and the easiest part of making a game

Didn't see the big picture with multiplayer. That was 90% of LBPs appeal. How did they not know that?

Didn't see the big picture with monetisation. You really expect people to make games for free? Beyond experimenting. Roblox stole their lunch cause you can make money in it and it came out way earlier. They made a YouTube for games that you can't make money on....

Missed the opportunity to relaunch with all those features in place with a PC port. Probably one of the few games on PS that completely make sense for a PC port

Never made a native PS5 version

Instead of doing the above they fucked around with VR functionality. Who used that in the cross section of Dreams users and PSVR users? I doubt even 100 people

Hopefully their change of staff can retain the creativity but make wiser project decisions

Sadly it's more likely that Sony will shut down MM before giving them the chance to do so

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sadly it's more likely that Sony will shut down MM before giving them the chance to do so
I don't think Thyll just them down. I think if tht was the case thy would have been done it. They keep them around for reasons but who knows.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I can't even call the PC port beggars, port beggars anymore. One look at SIE's trajectory and it's no reason they feel these games are a guarantee and should be Day 1 in all cases.

Happy to hop off the (console) ship before it sinks. Now, where's my lifesaver vest....

In the interview Mark Healey also mentions the lack of a PC version (not only multiplayer) as his biggest regrets of things he'd like to have added to Dreams.

I agree both would have highly benefited the game, but already was insanely ambitious for the small team they are.

In my personal case what I missed was a meaty single player story campaign.

It doesn't make sense when they always have been a profitable studio every single year (I posted the receipts in this forum a few days ago) and earned a ton of awards.

Mark thinks the studio is now in good hands and is looking forward to their next game (people from the studio more passionate about the business side of running a studio, he is only passionate about the creative/artistic side of making games).

Sony didn't support Dreams at all, I dont think it was ever advertised or pushed by them in anyway after initial launch. There were a lot of cool creations they could've showcased, but they just pretended like the game didn't exist
This are totally false fake news. They released countless game updates, post launch Media Molecule post launch content, added VR support, periodically highlighted community creations, made streams to showcase them and even had a yearly awards gala.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78