Media Molecule's co-founder Mark Healey has left the company

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
User-generated content is not fun. They should make another LBP but without all that stuff. Big campaign levels only. You can create cosmetics if you want.

I never bothered with any of those user levels. Waste of resources to create these tools.

Reactions: Yurinka

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
MM has been stuck on dreams since before 2013. Its way past time to move on and they should be glad sony let them take that long for a game that really didnt sell well or become a breakout hit.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
User-generated content is not fun. They should make another LBP but without all that stuff. Big campaign levels only. You can create cosmetics if you want.

I never bothered with any of those user levels. Waste of resources to create these tools.
LBP's user generated levels are the biggest reason the games were so successful. Where they really fucked up is making a UGC game with NO multiplayer. LBP/Roblox/Minecraft would've been dead on arrival if the game didn't have multiplayer. To this day dreams still doesn't have it, but they patched in VR.
so 3 of the 4 co founders are gone now
I can't really feel bad for them because Sony gave them the freedom, and what they delivered was a game that felt like it never left early access. It lacked basic features of their past games like multiplayer, and they never tried to adapt by putting it on PS Plus or making it free to play.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
MM can be repurposed at this point. We have dreams and LBP now can we please move on from the niche market where you make your own game 99% of gamers dont care about please, thank you.

• brain
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Ezekiel and Vertigo

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Mm spent a decade on that Dreams thing. They couldn't deliver anything interesting after LBP. I don't see them surviving.
The problem with Dreams was Sony not capitalising on the engine and on the game. That game is very creative and it can later be used on VR.
They did Tearaway with a smaller team, a good platform game.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think Sony needs a crash bandicoot/sptro replacement now imo. Have MM make another mascot game with their own spin on it.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Man i don't get the people saying MM sucks, they're a small studio and they make decent quality games, so what if you didn't like dreams, they bring some diversity to the games lineup. Not everything has to be a blockbuster.
Yep! Playing user created levels in little big planet with my mom is some of the most fun I've had in gaming. I'm looking forward to their next project.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Dreams could have been successful like Robkox if they just marketed it right and had a good mascot, the problem with dreams was that nobody even knew what it was

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Damn, I hate to see the Dude lose a job...

The Big Lebowski GIF by PeacockTV
He wasn't fired, he left. Probably because after selling the company, having stayed there the amount of years required in the deal and having earned a ton of money, now he wants to take some long vacations and move aways to do something new. Or maybe even to retire.

Dreams could have been successful like Robkox if they just marketed it right and had a good mascot, the problem with dreams was that nobody even knew what it was
It has been successful. It's profitablle, got great reviews and a ton of awards.

So yeah media Molecule does deserve to be still working they never had issues, they even created an engine with much smaller team than Japan studio or evolution.
All Media Molecule projects are profitable, well reviewed and earned many awards. Of course they'll continue.

Man i don't get the people saying MM sucks, they're a small studio and they make decent quality games, so what if you didn't like dreams, they bring some diversity to the games lineup. Not everything has to be a blockbuster.
Their boss at PS Studios Hermen Hulst agrees. He said he's happy with games like Dreams and that they'll continue making smaller and more creative and unique games, that they at PS Studios don't want to focus only on big mainstream blockbusters.

I think Sony needs a crash bandicoot/sptro replacement now imo. Have MM make another mascot game with their own spin on it.
I think Astro and Sackboy have potential for this.

Last edited: