Meta is closing Ready at Dawn

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
  • Ready at Dawn Studios, part of Oculus Studios, is closing permanently, effective immediately.
  • The studio produced some of the highest-rated VR games ever, including Lone Echo, Lone Echo 2, and Echo VR, as well as some PSP classics like God of War and Daxter.
  • Meta says that Ready at Dawn employees are encouraged to apply to other studios within the Oculus Studios umbrella.
  • The reduction was made to meet the new Reality Labs budgetary ceiling rather than as a proactive cost-saving initiative.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
This is sad, Meta should've at least let them become independent because they're actually talented. Hopefully they can land on their feet. Sony should've bought them when they had the chance

Reactions: Airbus

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
RIP.

I'd have prefered that instead of shutting them they'd have sold the studio to Sony.

Who right now between new studios being created plus the ones recently acquired and without known upcoming first party VR games, plus focusing now on profitability and paying the cost related to relatively recent acquisitions, I'm not sure if right now they'd consider it's a good moment to acquire.

I loved their games for Sony, even -with its flaws, which I bet would have been fixed in a sequel- The Order. I didn't play their VR games, but I heard they're also very good.

Let's hope Sony studios hires at least the key talent that still remained there. Several people already left many years ago, some of them went to Sony studios. They are in Irvine, California. So they could find them a place at ND, Insomniac, SSM, San Diego, their San Diego Creative/Visual Arts or the ex-Deviations upcoming SIE team.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Killing their business relationship lead to everything that happened after. They should have stuck with them especially since The Order 1886 was profitable in the end
According to Shinobi on the purple forum they were going to start working on a sequel to The Irder 1886 when they were bought by Meta. That tells me their relationship with Sony was just fine.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
According to Shinobi on the purple forum they were going to start working on a sequel to The Irder 1886 when they were bought by Meta. That tells me their relationship with Sony was just fine.
A sequel was never Greenlight and you're telling me Sony was gonna allow a sequel almost 5 years after they pretended RAD and The Order 1886 both never existed?

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
A sequel was never Greenlight and you're telling me Sony was gonna allow a sequel almost 5 years after they pretended RAD and The Order 1886 both never existed?
Obviously the devs felt confident enough to pitch a sequel to Sony, what we dont know is if they got to pitch it before Meta bought them.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Obviously the devs felt confident enough to pitch a sequel to Sony, what we dont know is if they got to pitch it before Meta bought them.
A sequel was never greenlight though? The directors of the game spoke about a sequel before the game was even out. That they had bigger plans but they spent 2.5 years building the engine alone. They also said they wanted to include Multiplayer but couldn't but would for a sequel.

However Sony did not want a sequel

Nasty work on Sony's end, the game sell well enough over 1.3 million digitally alone. Threw away a developer that was dedicated to PS even after The Order 1886, one of the Co-Owners were one of the few people back in 2020 fiercely defending the PS5 amongst the nonstop media propaganda about how the hardware was weak and trash.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Sony is partially to be blamed for their demise
This is such horseshit blaming Sony. They funded The Order 1886 for 5 years and they released a 5 hour mediocre game.

The CEO replaced himself with an exec from Blizzard shortly after The Order released with the goal or publishing their own games and others games and owning their own IPs.

They clearly didn't want to work on an IP owned by someone else and had aspirations to be a publisher.

They then proceeded to release some VR games and got bought by Oculus and then proceeded to release nothing and got shut down

I'll repeat again, blaming Sony is horseshit. They have no one to blame but themselves. Take that minsinformation garbage to Resetera

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This is such horseshit blaming Sony. They funded The Order 1886 for 5 years and they released a 5 hour mediocre game.

The CEO replaced himself with an exec from Blizzard shortly after The Order released with the goal or publishing their own games and others games and owning their own IPs.

They clearly didn't want to work on an IP owned by someone else and had aspirations to be a publisher.

They then proceeded to release some VR games and got bought by Oculus and then proceeded to release nothing and got shut down

I'll repeat again, blaming Sony is horseshit. They have no one to blame but themselves. Take that minsinformation garbage to Resetera
Why would they not want to start owning their games after Sony refused to greenlight a sequel? Who wants to work on a game and engine, while having the game sold millions only to be told... Sorry no sequel for you.

I've never posted on ResetEta or have an account there... 🤣.

Fuck Sony for their part in RAD demise

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Airbus