Meta Quest closing in on Xbox Series lifetime sales

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Given Xbox's catastrophic decline this past quarter, with the highest of high-end estimates peaking at 800k units for the quarter just gone, the hardware is likely sitting squarely at just under 25 million units lifetime. (See Xbox LTD sales estimates from Feb).

Meta Quest 2 had sold 20 million units by the start of last year and the Meta Quest 3 sold nearly 2 million units last holiday quarter.

It appears that development for the Meta Quest VR headset is likely to be more worthwhile for developers than creating an Xbox SKU, especially because Meta Quest users actually buy games.

What's your take on VR? Is it niche? If so, so is Xbox. I for one can't wait to see what developers do once they're free from the shackles of supporting the dead weight Xbox SKUs and can explore their visions in the growing VR market.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It appears that development for the Meta Quest VR headset is likely to be more worthwhile for developers than creating an Xbox SKU, especially because Meta Quest users actually buy games.
Yeah, I fuckin' doubt it. Aren't most of them paperweights? And is it BC at all, I honestly doubt it?

solidsnake_1

17 Oct 2023
Animated GIF

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, I fuckin' doubt it. Aren't most of them paperweights? And is it BC at all, I honestly doubt it?
Meta Quest devices are Android based, they feature BC.
What's your take on VR? Is it niche? If so, so is Xbox.
I studied the VR market, it's still a relatively small nascent market but (unlike Xbox consoles) in recent years had a good growth and all market research firms expect it to continue growing. Some graphs:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
dead brand, they're making all the wrong decisions, they think subscriptions will take over in gaming when it actually doesn't even represent 10% of the spending in the market... their future will be third party publisher and it shows, they'll learn they need to SELL videogames, and the platforms for it will be PlayStation, Nintendo and PC