Microsoft 10 year deals are only for show

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
In revealing emails involving Matt Booty dated back to 2021, Microsoft revealed their actual stance on having their first party IP available on competing cloud services.

The document reveals Phil Spencer signing off (via Booty's email) on removing Bethesda games from Nvidia, which were on the service in agreement with the dev teams that developed them i.e. with permission.

Boosteroid - the Romanian cloud provider that duplicitously changed their stated HQ and founder's location to Ukraine on various online platforms after the 10 year deal announcement - also had Xbox 1st party titles available to its subscribers at the time, and Matt Booty's stance, backed up by other members of Microsoft, was "no effin way" regardless of the Azure deal they had in place.

As a reminder, the 10 year agreements strip the cloud providers of any revenue earned from MTX, meaning a company like Boosteroid already has limited ways to monetise between paying MS for Azure and earning nothing from the content.

The CMA skillfully avoided the EU's mistake, stating that they didn't think the 10 year deals reflected Microsoft's true position in the absence of regulatory scrutiny.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
These deals are a smokescreen anyway. They're besides the point. EA and Ubisoft are also at a competitive disadvantage against Xbox+Bethesda+Activision+Blizzard. It doesn't help them that CoD is playable on Switch.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Stripping the cloud providers of MTX revenue is the crazy bit when i read it a while back.

MTX revenue has jumped by a huge amount compared to last gen, it's one of the reasons why companies are chasing GAAS. How can the EC ignore this revenue stream being completley in microsofts hands?

Relaxedsun

27 May 2023
I think everyone knows these deals are snake oil. Glad Xbox true colors are finally being shown instead of them being some kind of underdog. They are in 3rd place for a reason

Reactions: Box

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Regulators should judge on past behaviour, not on promises made only when scrutiny is applied

Reactions: Nitro and Box