Microsoft Activision deal potentially in trouble? The FTC staff are said to have significant concerns

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The FTC staff are said to have significant concerns about the transaction, Dealreporter said, citing two sources. The regulator is talking to other parties and competitors about their issues with the deal, including Google (GOOGL) and Sony (SONY).

FTC in late March requested more information about the proposed deal, opening an in-depth antitrust review of the transaction.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Hopefully they give it the scrutiny it deserves and block it if they find it harms competition in any way.

I believe it harms competition at multiple levels..... it harms physical game sales, as MSFT want to push to cloud and COD was one of the last big physical sellers annually.
it hurts competition in cloud.... as Google had the contract for Activisions esports and now it will obviously be taken by MSFT.

Then in gaming it is like MSFT buying a company the same size as Sony or almost the same size.... like them buying out a whole competitor. Controlling where and how games are sold etc.
They already bought a publisher, which is already unprecedented on this scale..... and now a second? Why, if not to monopolize and undermine competition?
They got the games anyway before buying them...the only reason is to hurt competition.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Breaking Bad Train GIF

• haha
Reactions: Hobbygaming

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
When you look at it like a trillion dollar company buying the world’s biggest publisher, while stamping out new entries to the market (stadia) and bold face lying about your intentions of leaving games multiplatform (Bethesda), yeah I’d say that’s concerning.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
When you look at it like a trillion dollar company buying the world’s biggest publisher, while stamping out new entries to the market (stadia) and bold face lying about your intentions of leaving games multiplatform (Bethesda), yeah I’d say that’s concerning.
And also announce that you're eyeing up future acquisitions, with their content also to be put on GamePass.

Basically eating massive losses in the short-term by using money elsewhere in the company.

Makes sense that it would raise concerns.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Is it true that they're asking Microsoft for Gamepass profit figures and statistics but Microsoft isn't complying? I saw that framerate analysis guy talking about it in a video

"...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is the amount of bugs squashed in Grounded since launch!"

"That's great, but we wanted to see the profits and other kinds of statistics "

"Did I already show you how many liters of water were used in Powerwash Simulator?"