Microsoft Blocking pre-orders for Persona 3/4 on Switch and PS4 in order to cook books for the xbox versions, purposefully gimped the PS5 version

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
It has come to my attention that as per MS's marketing deal for the Persona ports, Nintendo and Sony aren't able to take pre-orders for either Persona 3/4 and customers must wait until launch day to buy those versions.

I have confirmed on both my PS5 and Switch, the game is unavailable to buy on console or online.

Screenshot-2023-01-09-at-9-41-36-AM.png

Screenshot-2023-01-09-at-9-41-13-AM.png

Screenshot-2023-01-09-at-9-41-36-AM.png

Only the Xbox version is available for pre-order.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
this is actually pretty devious. of course, they don't have the market share or JRPG fanbase to 'win' in the sales department so to speak, but they have penned a deal here that I bet they hope will help them win favourable conditions when it comes to the Persona franchise in the future. They have the entire pre-launch window as the only version that accepts sales. What the hell?

They're cooking the books for the Xbox versions, so to speak. This way they can go back to Atlus and say, "hey, look at how much % we got of the legacy ports, you can't skip us on Persona 6!"

Very underhanded and I'm surprised Atlus/Sega would agree to such a one sided deal.

And for all those 'good guy, poor little MS people" this goes to show that if given the marketshare, MS would make our lives hell all over again, much like the 360 generation where they locked off a ton of Japanese franchises from the majority fanbases, causing irreparable harm.

MS is nobody's friend. Thankfully the Xbox marketshare is so low, or else they'd have probably paid to keep these Persona games away from everyone else, entirely.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Atlus, and Sega in general, really sold their soul to work with microsoft it seems.

I think MS will look to buy Sega once Activision deal is done.

Persona and Yakuza’s were mostly exclusive to PS. Thats all over now, I wonder if it was Sega or Playstation that said to break up lol.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Fuck it. Xbox absolutely deserves to get their ass handed this gen. Glad it’s already happening. Dirty, trash soulless piece of shit company that can’t produce shit in the last decade even with spending 100 billion.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I think MS will look to buy Sega once Activision deal is done.

Persona and Yakuza’s were mostly exclusive to PS. Thats all over now, I wonder if it was Sega or Playstation that said to break up lol.
"Break up" is a bit dramatic. Sega showed off the new upcoming Yakuza games at the PlayStation event a while back. Microsoft going after a third publisher, assuming abk even goes through, is just asking for trouble.

This whole thing might be a nothing burger like ethomaz said anyway.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
"Break up" is a bit dramatic. Sega showed off the new upcoming Yakuza games at the PlayStation event a while back. Microsoft going after a third publisher, assuming abk even goes through, is just asking for trouble.

This whole thing might be a nothing burger like ethomaz said anyway.

Maybe break up isnt the right word, but there not in a special relationship anymore. Sega is giving nothing to PS atm that they arent to others.
Even Yakuza 7 next gen version was exclusive for a bit of time on Xbox. A franchise that 1st came to PS and was always on PS.

We’ll know soon with Persona 6 and there other rumoured JRPG, will it be timed exclusive like all the other Persona games? or will it go come out 1st on Xbox? I think they are gonna pull a Yakuza 7

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Atlus content creators were seemingly told as much.

MS is 100% blocking presales on other platforms.

remember they also have a 48hr delay on all persona content, be it trailers, announcements or whatever, for other platforms.

I doubt any of this will extend to Persona 6, but it goes to show that MS has no problem paying for 'blocking rights'. Even for something as petty as trailers and pre-order windows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
No one is covering this, either.

it's kind of a bummer because of my current timezone, i'd like to pre-order/pre-load it advance of when it drops in the North America region.

not to mention, waiting for the news/trailers to drop on my platform of choice, all have been delayed, all the way back to the Persona 5 re-release.

and of course seeing all the barf-green xbox logos on the promo material. it's been an annoyance for sure. Nothing major, but still would prefer if MS stayed far away from this franchise, developer, and publisher in general.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Atlus content creators were seemingly told as much.

MS is 100% blocking presales on other platforms.

remember they also have a 48hr delay on all persona content, be it trailers, announcements or whatever, for other platforms.

I doubt any of this will extend to Persona 6, but it goes to show that MS has no problem paying for 'blocking rights'. Even for something as petty as trailers and pre-order windows.

Ohhhh that is not coincidence at all lol

I don’t know why I still give MS the benefice of doubt 🤷‍♂️

Imagine the same company trying to say these actions are bad for the industry in the FTC documents lol

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar