Microsoft CEO Comments On Xbox Games Coming To PlayStation

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
In a bid to make more money and expand Xbox's reach, Microsoft is bringing more games to PlayStation and Nintendo Switch, and this is part of a wider strategy.Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella addressed this during the company's latest earnings briefing, saying Microsoft is:

Committed to meeting players where they are. Microsoft will do this by bringing great games to more people on more devices

The executive said, as reported by VGC.

(via Gamespot)

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
Satya needs to turn the heat up on Phil and tell him to stop stalling. The only hope the Xbox platform has of staying viable and relevant is if they start porting games en masse to Playstation. All the data and reports we're getting about their revenues is probably pales in comparison to their dire internal projections.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Other than it being funny to mock Xbox users, I honestly couldn't care less if all MS+Bethesda+ABK never released another game on PlayStation. They have hardly produced anything of value in a long time.
Honestly, I'll just take Bethesda. The hype for ABK was crazy to me because prior to that deal forums all shit on ABK and ignored them at every turn. They're the most successful publisher sure, but their games have been boring for a long while. Only game worth a damn from them last gen was Sekiro.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Honestly, I'll just take Bethesda. The hype for ABK was crazy to me because prior to that deal forums all shit on ABK and ignored them at every turn. They're the most successful publisher sure, but their games have been boring for a long while. Only game worth a damn from them last gen was Sekiro.
I would take ABK over Bethesda any day, just looks at Bethesda latest games, Redfall and Starfield.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
We think he's talking about Halo, Gears, etc but Nadella is so clueless he thinks COD and Fallout on PS is "bringing more Xbox games to gamers" 🤦

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
they'll release everything on PS, they want to be a big publisher, so it makes sense to release their biggest games, games like Halo can heavly benefit from the PlayStation userbase, specially the multiplayer proportion for Infinite, (i'm against it and i defend every platform should have real exclusives) but this is the path they're going anyway so rip the band-aid and release the biggest and best ones.

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
We think he's talking about Halo, Gears, etc but Nadella is so clueless he thinks COD and Fallout on PS is "bringing more Xbox games to gamers" 🤦
what's the sense of keeping Halo, Gears, Forza exclusive? selling consoles? well, it's clearly not working, Xbox hardware had a huge drop in the month Forza Motorsport (2023) released, they must be having conversations with their investors rn and the investors won't be pro "keeping some games exclusive" since the console is dropping in sales and will continue to drop in sales in the next Q4 according to Amy Hood

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
All of this is fluff so they can buy another publisher. I wouldn’t grace dance just yet.
Agreed

Don't buy any Microsoft games

Better they fail completely and divest their stufios

24 Jun 2022
All of this is fluff so they can buy another publisher. I wouldn’t grace dance just yet.

That's not the reason. Plus it's not like it would be easy for them to buy another big publisher anytime soon if ever again. Regulators have their financial results on public record to see how the gaming division is doing with these M&As (for example, how it was primarily ABK that provided whatever growth was seen last quarter even though Zenimax has been a part of Xbox since 2021, meaning Zenimax is arguably now losing money and could've been better off as a 3P publisher).

Regulators also would have many of the same concerns if there was one mega-publisher in the market with most of the market's valuable IP, as they'd have with a platform holder buying one too many major 3P publishers. Consolidation is still consolidation and Microsoft already have purchased two massive pubs in just a couple years apart. One company owning so many of the big IP in the market brings too much risk to market stability in revenue, because if that one publisher starts to crater, they take a TON of IP down along with them.

We've already seen a bit of that with Embracer Group :/

Also, Microsoft don't want to add more debt to their gaming side and would reasonably want to maximize what M&As in Zenimax and ABK are actually bringing so they can justify the costs spent to buy them. So there is no point rushing to yet more 3P publishers and absorbing their operating costs and debts to a gaming division that desperately needs to justify its own existence with real profit margins.

No reason to worry about another big gaming publisher M&A from Microsoft for at least a decade, maybe longer. However, they might still buy some smaller studios in the meantime. Avalanche, maybe Crystal Dynamics, Creative Assembly...stuff like that. Those would be the type of gaming M&As they'd be going for over the next 5-10 years while they try making the costs for Zenimax & ABK worth it (which means going full multiplatform in terms of their dev & publishing support).

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
what's the sense of keeping Halo, Gears, Forza exclusive? selling consoles? well, it's clearly not working, Xbox hardware had a huge drop in the month Forza Motorsport (2023) released, they must be having conversations with their investors rn and the investors won't be pro "keeping some games exclusive" since the console is dropping in sales and will continue to drop in sales in the next Q4 according to Amy Hood
I'm just saying there's no distinction in his mind between Halo or Candy Crush. He says "Finally we're bringing more Xbox games to more platforms!!!" and it's like Warzone mobile and Diablo 4 on GP 💀

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You really don't get it. This is the result of the acquisitions. The bigger they got as a publisher the more likelly they were to give up on the Xbox console.

Phil Spencer killed Xbox.

It will only be downhill from here with MS poor management of all these studios and no console to help Gamepass.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
No, it's not. The CFO and CEO are running Xbox now, not Phil.

Backing out from 3rd party releases now, after these games topping PS store charts, would outright be illegal. The CEO has a fiduciary duty to keep the profits growing. Seeing a spike in sales and profit on PS and backing out would outright be illegal, as he's bound by law to keep the money rolling in for shareholders