Microsoft considers The Elder Scrolls VI a game that may not entirely hit with larger audiences

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Buried in Microsoft's recently released filing to UK regulators, it was hinted that The Elder Scrolls VI may become exclusive to Xbox and PC.

In that filing, Microsoft refers to the fantasy RPG as a "mid-size game," and therefore justifying its potential isolation from PlayStation or Nintendo consoles. That classification puts the title in the same territory as Minecraft, which has remained multiplatform since Microsoft acquired it in 2014.

Should Microsoft lock off The Elder Scrolls VI to Xbox, it would arguably be one of the biggest selling points for the Xbox ecosystem and its Game Pass service. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has had a long lifespan over the past 11 years, and its direct sequel would serve as a strong driver to buy Xboxes, or for PC players to become Game Pass subscribers.

However, Microsoft also used that incoming title as proof that it wouldn't lock off Activision Blizzard's Call of Duty. These games, said the Xbox maker, have mass market appeal and have a mid or lower-value exclusivity potential.

In a graphic showing what games warrant exclusivity, Microsoft said that a game's value "does not have a linear relationship with the popularity of the game."

That may serve as extra justification for Microsoft to take Elder Scrolls exclusive. The franchise may stay partly multiplatform due to frequent re-releases of Skyrim and The Elder Scrolls Online, but that doesn't entirely mean it's popular enough for future installments to come out on other consoles.

Xbox's decision-making for Bethesda games remains unclear​

The Elder Scrolls VI has been a common point of discussion in the wake of Microsoft's Bethesda acquisition. In the past, Microsoft said it would determine exclusivity for games developed by its subsidiary on a case-by-case basis.

Thus far, the only Bethesda titles to be a definitive exclusive for Microsoft are 2023's Starfield and Redfall from Arkane Studios. As those titles are wholly new properties, they're exclusive so they land with a specific audience of players.

And since both Ghostwire: Tokyo and Deathloop have both come to Xbox after previously being PlayStation exclusives, Microsoft has officially completed Bethesda's pre-merger obligations with Sony. Meaning that it's now free to dictate what systems get Bethesda's future titles.

That Microsoft thinks The Elder Scrolls VI is a mid-size game is surprising, to say the least. Skyrim is one of the best-selling video games in history, and has enough broader cultural relevance that the franchise more than deserves to remain multiplatform.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Chris Pratt What GIF

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
The biggest rpg ever commercially. Bunch of losers. They are defining its size and impact so they can argue to keep it off playstation.

• brain
Reactions: Sircaw and Bryank75

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Either they are purposely being insincere or genuinely don't understand the popularity and history of the Elder Scroll series. Either scenario is not good, to be frank.

Of course they understand it, we all have sales data and they have even more of it. its the biggest franchise Bethesda has, which is why they’re worth 7 billion dollars. its the same as them downplaying the significance of Call of Duty.

They want to make it seem smaller than it is so they can justify making it exclusive.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
They'll say anything and do everything within legal boundaries to get this through, including increasing the budget of the money men lobbying in DC and New York which u won't get to hear about so as to bend the legal boundaries where possible (that's influence "decision making"). Folks get paid extremely well for this and it's their job, and they'll do it well. Shouldn't surprise anyone that has been around big businesses.

"How dare they be disingenuous and mislead?"

Please.... billions are on the line. Nations have been invaded for less.

Last edited:

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Of course they understand it, we all have sales data and they have even more of it. its the biggest franchise Bethesda has, which is why they’re worth 7 billion dollars. its the same as them downplaying the significance of Call of Duty.

They want to make it seem smaller than it is so they can justify making it exclusive.

Speaking of sales data, I'd be very interested in their financial assessment of how excluding Bethesda games from the two biggest console platforms will impact the games' sales. From my personal standpoint, I have no interest in investing in MS' ecosystem to play them. I imagine others feels similarly and still others will make that investment. It's hard to see now how that will play out. I suppose Starfield will be the first big test.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Speaking of sales data, I'd be very interested in their financial assessment of how excluding Bethesda games from the two biggest console platforms will impact the games' sales. From my personal standpoint, I have no interest in investing in MS' ecosystem to play them. I imagine others feels similarly and still others will make that investment. It's hard to see now how that will play out. I suppose Starfield will be the first big test.

Next year is the real test of gamepass being sustainable. Starfield, especially with delays has to cost a shit load of money to produce and as far we we know wont have in-game transactions. Then take away the residual income from playstation platforms…

They will most likely have a week long “early access” to recoup some of the initial day one console sales but the legs are gonna crash outside of PC. This wont do have the numbers of skyrim. Especially since there are so many AAA games coming out next year, people wont be wanting for a whole other system to play one game, not like they were this year with such a long mid year drought.

We’re just gonna get bullshit player count metrics, but behind the scenes they will have to figure out what they plan to do with Elder Scrolls.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Next year is the real test of gamepass being sustainable. Starfield, especially with delays has to cost a shit load of money to produce and as far we we know wont have in-game transactions. Then take away the residual income from playstation platforms…

They will most likely have a week long “early access” to recoup some of the initial day one console sales but the legs are gonna crash outside of PC. This wont do have the numbers of skyrim. Especially since there are so many AAA games coming out next year, people wont be wanting for a whole other system to play one game, not like they were this year with such a long mid year drought.

We’re just gonna get bullshit player count metrics, but behind the scenes they will have to figure out what they plan to do with Elder Scrolls.

It's possible they will include the Creation Club in Starfield. If they do, there's extra income there. After searching, though, there's no clear answer on that - just opinions. I agree with your points (particularly about player counts being used instead of actual relevant data) and will add that this will also be a test of giving people "more options" to play games while simultaneously excluding millions of players. Fallout does quite well too so we'll see where they go with that in future.

OP
OP
riesgoyfortuna

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
this whole starfield and skyrim thing its the endgame of microsoft,take third party games from sony,its just that simple,xbots can say whatever they want but this is how microsoft operates

the other plausible scenario and one i fear most its because these games are going to gamepass they will be less AAA and more short and AA (like some dumbfucks like jaffe want)

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
There is nothing to plan or figure out. The goal was to take all Zenimax IP away from playstation forever. That's it.

They don't care about providing unique, new or appealing content, they only care about using their Windows monopoly money to take content away from the competition.

Microsoft has always conducted business like this. Xbox 360 was the closest they ever got to properly competing, and even then, they relied a lot on the same kind of moneyhats the xbox hypocrites only point fingers at sony for.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Strarfield, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, won't be comercial successes compared to previous games, there is no incentive for the teams to do well. What you will get is half assed filler games.
This will quickly also manifest in what kind of financial support the studios will get from MSFT that is just seeing more and more red dollar signs in Xbox balance sheet.

You can already say Good Bye to your beloved franchises. No need to wait.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
There is nothing to plan or figure out. The goal was to take all Zenimax IP away from playstation forever. That's it.

They don't care about providing unique, new or appealing content, they only care about using their Windows monopoly money to take content away from the competition.

Microsoft has always conducted business like this. Xbox 360 was the closest they ever got to properly competing, and even then, they relied a lot on the same kind of moneyhats the xbox hypocrites only point fingers at sony for.
maybe it was success in numbers produces but not in profitable business aka healthy business. they lost billions in 360 era.