Microsoft Expects the Next Generation of Consoles to Come Out in 2028

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

FzPxNkjX0AA53_p

In court documents reviewed by IGN, Microsoft said the “expected starting period” of the next generation of consoles is 2028. This means the next Xbox and the PlayStation 6 are set to launch eight years after the Xbox Series X and S and PlayStation 5. The news comes from documents made public as part of Xbox's big Activision Blizzard FTC trial, which kicked off this week.

This term would in any case go beyond the expected starting period of the next generation of consoles (in 2028),” Microsoft said. “Thus, Call of Duty will be published on successor PlayStation consoles should one be released during the term of the agreement. The agreement also would ensure that Call of Duty console games are offered on PlayStation at parity with Xbox.”

24 Jun 2022
One of the few things MS have said that is actually very believable. I've been saying 2028 for a while, myself.

Just makes a lot of sense. The question is how much MS and Sony will diverge next-gen; I'm expecting it'll be rather significant even in comparison to this gen.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
5 years eh? Feels like this gen hasn't really hit its stride yet, but maybe things will feel much different by then.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
They say 2028 but Xbox saying they won't have a mid-gen refresh just makes me think they are trying to put out a console for next gen a year before playstation

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I don't think there will be more conosoles by then. Specially at the high end unless there is a significant breakthrough in price performance and performance per watt.

A next gen console would have to be 80 TF, relatively small , low wattage and cost effective. I don't see how is that happening.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If you take 2020 and 2021 as one year (Covid reducing everything by half) then thats a "normal" seven year cycle. Makes sense to me.