Microsoft has Closed the Activision Blizzard King Deal | Xbox Releases Statement

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

We love gaming. We play games, create games, and know first-hand how much gaming means to all of us as individuals and collectively, as a community. And today, we officially welcome Activision Blizzard and their teams to Xbox. They are the publishers of some of the most played and most beloved franchises in gaming history across console, PC and mobile. From Pitfall to Call of Duty, World of Warcraft to Overwatch, Candy Crush Saga to Farm Heroes Super Saga, their studios have pushed the boundaries of gaming for players around the world.

I’ve long admired the work of Activision, Blizzard, and King, and the impact they’ve had on gaming, entertainment, and pop culture. Whether it was late nights spent playing the Diablo IV campaign with friends from start to finish, gathering the entire family in the rec room for our weekly Guitar Hero night, or going on an epic streak in Candy Crush, some of my most memorable gaming moments came from experiences their studios have created. It is incredible to welcome such legendary teams to Xbox.

As one team, we’ll learn, innovate, and continue to deliver on our promise to bring the joy and community of gaming to more people. We’ll do this in a culture that strives to empower everyone to do their best work, where all people are welcome, and is centered on our ongoing commitment of Gaming for Everyone. We are intentional about inclusion in everything we do at Xbox – from our team to the products we make and the stories we tell, to the way our players interact and engage as a wider gaming community.

Together, we’ll create new worlds and stories, bring your favorite games to more places so more players can join in, and we’ll engage with and delight players in new, innovative ways in the places they love to play including mobile, cloud streaming and more.

Players have always been at the center of everything we do. And as we grow, we’ll continue to keep players at the heart of it all. We’ll continue to listen to your feedback, build a community where you can be yourself, where developers can do their best work, and continue to make really fun games. As promised, we will also continue to make more games available in more places – and that begins now by enabling cloud streaming providers and players to stream Activision Blizzard games in the European Economic Area, a commitment made to the European Commission. Today we start the work to bring beloved Activision, Blizzard, and King franchises to Game Pass and other platforms. We’ll share more about when you can expect to play in the coming months. We know you’re excited – and we are too.

For the millions of fans who love Activision, Blizzard, and King games, we want you to know that today is a good day to play. You are the heart and soul of these franchises, and we are honored to have you as part of our community. Whether you play on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, PC or mobile, you are welcome here – and will remain welcome, even if Xbox isn’t where you play your favorite franchise. Because when everyone plays, we all win. We believe our news today will unlock a world of possibilities for more ways to play. Thank you for the ongoing support. We have so much more to come in the months ahead – I’m excited for the future and cannot wait to share it with you.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Tinhat theory but does anyone think with the deal closed Sony could've caved & gamepass might end up being on playstation & then Phil can say oh our games on the platform when they're just on a Microsoft subscription & cloud streamed

NeonFace

26 Mar 2023
giphy.webp

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
More fucking lies i'm sick to death of this nice guy persona & no one calling him out on it

And people fall for this believing Activision games will still be on PlayStation. Sony did that 10 year Call of Duty contract for a reason.

The fact that none of Activision’s games were said to be multi platform when the deal was first announced should tell people something. It took Sony rejecting the deal, and the EU and CMA saying they have concerns, for MS to open up Activision to everybody on the planet. Which is all a show anyway.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Tinhat theory but does anyone think with the deal closed Sony could've caved & gamepass might end up being on playstation & then Phil can say oh our games on the platform when they're just on a Microsoft subscription & cloud streamed

Why would Sony allow gamepass on PlayStation? This was always brought up for last couple years and I don’t know why or understand it.

Reactions: Vertigo
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Why would Sony allow gamepass on PlayStation? This was always brought up for last couple years and I don’t know why or understand it.
Yeah it makes no business sense whatsoever for Sony / playstation or Nintendo but ya never know companies do stupid stuff sometimes with bad logic for why (looks at pc ports)

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
ChatGPT working overtime to write these dumb press releases. By next week nobody will talk about this anymore.

Can't wait for them to celebrate old CODs and Crash joining GP, all games that were already on PS+ for years and they called PS+ shitty 🤡
I only really care about crash & spyro & unfortunately they'll be stuck on Xbox if they continue making them

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
And people fall for this believing Activision games will still be on PlayStation. Sony did that 10 year Call of Duty contract for a reason.

And Jimbo, being the incompetent cunt he is, managed to secure only CoD, whereas Nintendo secured the whole ABK portfolio.

Reactions: toadsage44

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
And Jimbo, being the incompetent cunt he is, managed to secure only CoD, whereas Nintendo secured the whole ABK portfolio.

The first deal Sony was offered included everything but only for 3 or so years. That's the one Jim Ryan called inadequate.

Reactions: GrayWolf323

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
He made a choice. All Activision games for the next 4 years or only COD for 10. Financially, he made the right choice. All other games combined don't bring in what COD does.

@gokuss4

No, COD will remain on PS for at least 10 more years, according to a contract between Sony and MS.

EightC

11 Jul 2022
I don't see much changing tbh and they've already said things like COD will stay multi-platform which honestly they would be stupid not to because they will obviously generate more profit by doing so just like they did with Minecraft and keeping that multi-platform. I can however see things like early DLC first type things happening. I would like to see them bring back some older Activision content and hopefully get some more BC titles.