Microsoft loses bid to pause gamers' lawsuit over Activision deal

24 Jun 2022
Ms kills of all VR work internally…..

Not sure where to put, not thread worthy…

But how about those Game Pass profits, amirite!?

If/when VR & AR become more ubiquitous in gaming, Microsoft are going to be so behind the curve, it'll look terrible. They aren't nurturing VR game design development among their internal teams but, knowing their style, they'd just try to buy VR devs and try calling it a day.

It's not nearly that simple.

Things sure don’t seem to be going well for Xbox lately.

(Watch me get reported for posting this!)

Hard to report someone for speaking a truth.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Microsoft's lawyers at Wilkinson Stekloff and Alston & Bird had argued that allowing the private case to move ahead while the FTC dispute is ongoing could cause "needless and duplicative litigation and the risk of inconsistent rulings" on identical matters.

"Staying this case while the FTC litigation is ongoing would thus simplify the issues in this matter," Microsoft's attorneys told Corley.

What a convenient reason to delay the case. I'm glad this didn't actually sway the judge.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Can't wait for the next wave of MS PR to compensate. 🥳
Well, DualSense Edge and PSVR 2 launch soon, so we will either get a new paper product from MS announced, or some concern pieces about both pieces of hardware.

We are already seeing “Edge battery life is terrible” and “But PSVR 2 has a WIRE” bullshit in the press, and from the usual suspects.

OP
OP
Gediminas

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Well, DualSense Edge and PSVR 2 launch soon, so we will either get a new paper product from MS announced, or some concern pieces about both pieces of hardware.

We are already seeing “Edge battery life is terrible” and “But PSVR 2 has a WIRE” bullshit in the press, and from the usual suspects.
there is going to be and plenty of no name sites, makes negative, bashing article about PS, then disappears forever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
24 Jun 2022
And their lack of focus on 3D tvs will surely hurt them too.

I'd say VR & AR have a more practical use in gaming than 3DTVs did. Also remember the technology with the 3DTV boom wasn't as advanced as where it is with VR & AR today. Sometimes tech just isn't ready for mainstream in the market.

But I think VR & AR are nearing a point where they will be, most likely before the close of the decade. I'd also say to some extent lack of 3DTV support (well, any serious support anyway) from MS during the 360 likely impaired their VR experience which probably explains a big reason why they abandoned any VR attempts for XBO/One X and now the Series consoles.

Or just straight up "PSVR2 will fail" articles, going full masks-off.

It's amazing how some people willingly try sabotaging the advancement of gaming just because the company that makes their favorite plastic box doesn't want to participate or innovate in certain emerging spaces.

Reactions: arvfab

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Xbox itself is a niche platform. it can't support a niche peripheral. You get to that point where you can add and support a peripheral when you actually reach a successful market position with the console itself.

it happened with PS3 and move, 360 and kinect, and Ps4 and 5 with VR.

Xbox One and Series were never getting VR because the consoles don't sell enough to warrant it.

Xbox doesn't even have the resources to redesign the controller nowadays. same controller 3 gens in a row. The Series console ships a controller that is technically less on paper than a PS3 controller. No haptics, no touchpad, no adaptive triggers, no VR tracking, nothing. No motion.

The PS3 controller is more advanced than the Series X controller by virtue of gyro and internal battery.

Xbox is no longer innovating.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Ms kills of all VR work internally…..

Not sure where to put, not thread worthy…

Not surprising. They got a big chunk of money from the US military for Hololens, but the military rejected it after they tested it. Other than that, it was too bulky and expensive to have a commercial application.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
But how about those Game Pass profits, amirite!?

If/when VR & AR become more ubiquitous in gaming, Microsoft are going to be so behind the curve, it'll look terrible. They aren't nurturing VR game design development among their internal teams but, knowing their style, they'd just try to buy VR devs and try calling it a day.

It's not nearly that simple.

Hard to report someone for speaking a truth.

They’ll take no risk and spend nothing on advancing the sector. Once matured by others, they’ll open the chequebook funded by Saas Office products to buy out someone.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
They’ll take no risk and spend nothing on advancing the sector. Once matured by others, they’ll open the chequebook funded by Sass Office products to buy out someone.

Basically been MS's MO for over a decade, for multiple sectors. I think one of the last products they really invested in to innovate with when the sector was still young, were the Surface devices. The first Surface was pretty interesting at a time when tablets (well, modern tablets) were still in their infancy, and MS were investing in R&D for that since the early 2000s. So I can definitely respect what they did there.

However, the past several years haven't seen that type of stuff at least in the consumer sector, specifically for Xbox. And the reason's obvious: it's not a big moneymaker, so there's little reason to invest in that type of R&D for it. I guess one thing about the acquisitions is, if they work out, IF MS manage to get ABK, and Xbox sees a lot more revenue as a result, that would potentially influence more R&D into hardware & technologies innovation.

But the argument against that is, MS are focused so much on cloud, services and (it seems like going forward) AI, when Xbox specifically has other needs, that would most likely go unattended if its growth is tied to the other sectors of the company like that.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Basically been MS's MO for over a decade, for multiple sectors. I think one of the last products they really invested in to innovate with when the sector was still young, were the Surface devices. The first Surface was pretty interesting at a time when tablets (well, modern tablets) were still in their infancy, and MS were investing in R&D for that since the early 2000s. So I can definitely respect what they did there.

However, the past several years haven't seen that type of stuff at least in the consumer sector, specifically for Xbox. And the reason's obvious: it's not a big moneymaker, so there's little reason to invest in that type of R&D for it. I guess one thing about the acquisitions is, if they work out, IF MS manage to get ABK, and Xbox sees a lot more revenue as a result, that would potentially influence more R&D into hardware & technologies innovation.

But the argument against that is, MS are focused so much on cloud, services and (it seems like going forward) AI, when Xbox specifically has other needs, that would most likely go unattended if its growth is tied to the other sectors of the company like that.
I mean its not exactly consumer oriented but Teams was a great improvement over Skye for Business. Its nice that they sunsetted that turkey and gave us something better. Microsoft has morphed into a very business setting oriented company over the past decade and I think its really found a niche there that will allow it to thrive in a way that, say, Facebook cannot.