Microsoft: Our vision for gaming: More choice and more games for people everywhere

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022

Players and developers are at the center of Xbox. We want to enable people to play games anywhere, anytime and on any device. And developers deserve more options to build, distribute and monetize their groundbreaking games. When we do this, we all win. That’s why we’re sharing more on the industry and how our acquisition of Activision-Blizzard fits into our gaming strategy.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
More competition...

Animated GIF

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Funny how they have PC as bigger than console, when console is actually bigger than PC in all the Ampere studies / data.

Is this to manipulate readers into underestimating how important console is?

Console also has a higehr growth rate at 4% vs PC 1-1.5%

Reactions: Ezekiel

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Funny how they have PC as bigger than console, when console is actually bigger than PC in all the Ampere studies / data.

PC gaming is far bigger than console, also that's a total misinterpretation of growth. Consoles have artificial 'growth' as people are forced to change platforms in order to continue playing new games.

The 8th generation was a large decline in console sales compared to the 7th especially with Nintendo hitting the reset button and launching an entirely new platform which completely absorbed both their fixed and handheld markets.

PC users can still be fine with heavily outdated hardware still capable of playing modern games with compromises. Consoles are a declining market, PC is a growth market pulling people from consoles.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
most incompetent makers and publisher, and they are making like this acquisition is from the bottom of the heart thinking about customers and developers.
one of the most shitty firm to date. never ever saw a profit in their life.
This is an outright lie, in the Epic vs. Apple lawsuit they were questioned about this. They've never turned profit on their consoles themselves, but they most certainly make profits in their gaming business as a whole..

Acquiescence

2 Oct 2022
IMG_5622.png

Ah yes, Microsoft - the plucky underdog. Who totally didn't make huge strides in terms of marketshare during the 360 era, only to fuck it all up overnight with the anti-consumer disaster that was the Xbox One reveal. No, the real reason they're last place in the console space is because of a lack of competition. This is why it's okay for Microsoft to reach into the war chest and throw huge piles of money at publishers - so that PlayStation, Nintendo and Xbox can all be on equal footing!

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

As much as I like PC gaming, the crazy hardware prices will likely drive some people away from it, especially if they want to play AAA games.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
As much as I like PC gaming, the crazy hardware prices will likely drive some people away from it, especially if they want to play AAA games.
The prices are honestly only crazy at the high end, mid level hardware is still very affordable across the board.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

If PC actually acted like PC used to be and had games that really highlighted the platforms uniqueness.... games like C&C, Operation Flashpoint, Homeworld, Ground Control, JA2 etc etc then I would be on there every day....

I used to love PC...but it lost its way.

I dread for the same to happen to PlayStation and that is why I am critical of Jim Ryan and the current strategy.

Anyway, if they were sure of themselves (MSFT), they wouldn't post such nonsense, don't believe this kumbiya nonsense.

• brain
Reactions: Hezekiah

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The prices are honestly only crazy at the high end, mid level hardware is still very affordable across the board.
Mid-level is a 3060, and they are still selling for well over £300 on Amazon. 4000 series cards are clearly going to be a signicant jump price wise over the 3000 series aswell.

600 series motherboards are far more expensive than were a few generations ago presumably in part because of supply chain issues. DD5 RAM isn't mature but will continue to be much more expensive than DDR4. PSUs have gone up in price a lot over the past few years too.

I'll stick to having PS5 + PC, but good news for Sony and their massive target of 37m consoles sold by the end of March.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
If PC actually acted like PC used to be and had games that really highlighted the platforms uniqueness.... games like C&C, Operation Flashpoint, Homeworld, Ground Control, JA2 etc etc then I would be on there every day....

I used to love PC...but it lost its way.

I dread for the same to happen to PlayStation and that is why I am critical of Jim Ryan and the current strategy.

Anyway, if they were sure of themselves (MSFT), they wouldn't post such nonsense, don't believe this kumbiya nonsense.
Yeah there's very little horizon to really target the platform.

I'm looking forward to playing Cyberpunk with full RTX, but that's basically the game with extra bells and whistles. Next after that, Crysis 4?

In terms of the MS happy families bullshit, I think that bubble burst as soon as Jimbo rightly exposed their CoD 'agreement'. Plus everyone knows what's happening with Bethesda games. Basically they'll continue to push cloud gaming and say 'see, everyone can play!', even though it's shite that only a very niche audience care for.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yeah there's very little horizon to really target the platform.

I'm looking forward to playing Cyberpunk with full RTX, but that's basically the game with extra bells and whistles. Next after that, Crysis 4?

In terms of the MS happy families bullshit, I think that bubble burst as soon as Jimbo rightly exposed their CoD 'agreement'. Plus everyone knows what's happening with Bethesda games. Basically they'll continue to push cloud gaming and say 'see, everyone can play!', even though it's shite that only a very niche audience care for.

100% and COD is really a knife into the back of physical games sales...... they are achieving many things with this move if they get it through and one of those is pushing physical game sales towards being less relevant faster.

COD has always sold loads of physical copies, even till today.

They can pull it out of shops and make it digital only first and then Xbox only and then Gamepass only.... they have the pathway laid out.
Gaming without physical is gaming with less competition, consumers with less options.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
100% and COD is really a knife into the back of physical games sales...... they are achieving many things with this move if they get it through and one of those is pushing physical game sales towards being less relevant faster.

COD has always sold loads of physical copies, even till today.

They can pull it out of shops and make it digital only first and then Xbox only and then Gamepass only.... they have the pathway laid out.
Gaming without physical is gaming with less competition, consumers with less options.
Yeah they will definitely try to lock everything into GamePass.

Some won't mind...until the inevitable happens.

Reactions: Bryank75