Microsoft plans to sell off Activision Blizzard cloud gaming rights to Ubisoft

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

Interesting last January Chris Deering, former President of SCE, in an email to Jim Ryan said "I bet Yves (Ubisoft CEO), is smiling like a Cheshire cat". Did he know this would come? 🤔

T1EhWJ1.jpeg

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Why only 15 years? Shouldn't it be indefinite?

Also, Ubisoft is one of the companies MS was looking into. Wouldn't surprise me they buy them and default the right back to them.

And again, this is not a big deal. MS still gets the IPs, still gets to impose their rules on console games and still gets a cut from Ubisoft.

If the CMA truly wanted to do something, they;d request full divestiture of Activision/Blizzard and let MS keep their mobile games like they said they wanted. But, the CMA always had issues with cloud gaming only, so I can't really blame them from going with this.

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Why only 15 years? Shouldn't it be indefinite?

Also, Ubisoft is one of the companies MS was looking into. Wouldn't surprise me they buy them and default the right back to them.

And again, this is not a big deal. MS still gets the IPs, still gets to impose their rules on console games and still gets a cut from Ubisoft.

If the CMA truly wanted to do something, they;d request full divestiture of Activision/Blizzard and let MS keep their mobile games like they said they wanted. But, the CMA always had issues with cloud gaming only, so I can't really blame them from going with this.
CMA's plan is to just stall as long as possible and hope that ABK walk away and take the free 4.5 billion check, but I don't think that'll happen as much as I want it to.
People calling the CMA corrupt over on pure Xbox ... Pretty sure if they were corrupt they'd just take Microsofts bribe money & be done with it 🤣
People like Jez crying saying that Xbox should just leave the UK 😂😂
Heh, maybe they're planning on buying Ubisoft next...
Sadly I could see that happening, especially since Microsoft already has the EU in their pocket 😢

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Tencent has a significant stake in Ubisoft. Microsoft will have to get past the Chinese.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Interesting last January Chris Deering, former President of SCE, in an email to Jim Ryan said "I bet Yves (Ubisoft CEO), is smiling like a Cheshire cat". Did he know this would come? 🤔
Yes, seems that Chris and Jim already knew back then what were the full MS/ABK plans including this Ubisoft bit. We now finally know what he meant with this sentence. Obviously this deal will benefit Ubisoft's service.

On the Yves thing, I just think he meant MS took their biggest competitor off the field.
how is ABK Ubisofts biggest competitor ?
Ubisoft is the biggest European publisher / game company, but in the worldwide arena only ABK, EA,Take 2, Bandai Namco and maybe 1 or 2 more are above Ubisoft regarding console.

Out of the main 3P competitors of Ubisoft, the biggest one (ABK), won't be 3P anymore, meaning Ubisoft climbs a position on the ranking of most important 3P console publishers. And on top of that, now on their subscription they'll have the ABK games too.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAHGamer

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Why is Ubisoft getting involved and siding with Microsoft? This just confirms Ubi was their next target and that's why they accept Ubi+ on Xbox first.

NOBODY can be trusted in this industry. It's like they're all double agents for Phil.

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Why is Ubisoft getting involved and siding with Microsoft? This just confirms Ubi was their next target and that's why they accept Ubi+ on Xbox first.

NOBODY can be trusted in this industry. It's like they're all double agents for Phil.
lol they're not double agents for Phil, Yves made fun of Microsoft a while ago. They literally said "Other publishers just buy up companies, we actually try to build things".
But like with Sega and Square Microsoft just gave them an offer they couldn't refuse. The perks of having a trillion dollar parent company