Microsoft Q1: Gaming revenue increased 9%, while Xbox hardware revenue declined 7%

Badaboom

24 Oct 2023

Jack Nicholson Lol GIF

Reactions: Diah

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
"if it were up to him"

wtf?? is he ceo or not?

If it was up to me I would love to get rid of the entire exclusives on consoles, but that’s not for me to define especially as a low share player in the console market. The dominant player there [Sony] has defined market competition using exclusives, so that’s the world we live in. I have no love for that world.

Seeing how Satya Nadella transformed Microsoft into a more platform agnostic service provider, Xbox is kind of in a middle ground where their software can't be on competing consoles, only their own console, PC, cloud, and smart devices.

Reactions: Bryank75 and Diah

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Seeing how Satya Nadella transformed Microsoft into a more platform agnostic service provider, Xbox is kind of in a middle ground where their software can't be on competing consoles, only their own console, PC, cloud, and smart devices.
after thinking about it some more I actually think Satya would definitely can xbox hardware and not have exclusive games if the other platform holders would agree to host gamepass on their platforms. Which they won't as it threatens to destroy their business model.

Reactions: Bryank75

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
He said he wants to get rid of exclusives period, not on Xbox alone. He has all the power to dictate Xbox's release policy, and he can start with becoming a full third party publisher.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Xbox Series X/S :

18.5 million by December 31, 2022 according to Ampere analysis
+21 million as of June 30, 2023 via ID@Xbox Developer Accelerator Program in Brazil

(knowing that they are eating at least a 2:1 ratio worldwide against the PS5)

We can estimate that M$ must have delivered at best 1.5~1.6 million over this last quarter (with the -7% compared to 2022 if this doesn't include the XB1 sales)

Which would give us a LTD of 22~23 million for X/S, when the PS5 should be running at at least 45~46 million if we add the last quarter (July-September).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Badaboom

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
FY2021Q2 : +86% (Xbox Series Lanuch)
FY2021Q3 : +232%
FY2021Q4 : +172%
FY2022Q1 : +166%
FY2022Q2 : +4%
FY2022Q3 : +14%
FY2022Q4 : -11%
FY2023Q1 +13%
FY2023Q2 : -13%
FY2023Q3 : -30%
FY2023Q4 : -13%

FY2024Q1 : -7%

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Yup and they were losing money on every sale close to $300

"Sony will lose over $300 on each 20GB PS3 sold, "And a further US$ 240 on high-end 60GB unit," according to research. What a strange business plan. According to gamesindustry.biz, Sony will lose over $300 on each 20GB PS3 sold, "And a further US$ 240 on high-end 60GB unit".Nov"

Thts unheard of abd obviously not a good buisness practice but it happened.
This hurt Sony with the PS3 more than MS did in that era.
I dont know what on earth could make Sony make such a horrible decision of launching a console that lost hundreds per unit sold. The PS3 must have got to the point of no return where sony just said fuck it, launch the shit and we will figure it out as we go.
Goes to show how bad the oversight was in that era and prolly the reason why sie today have no problem shutting shit down closing studios, canceling games before they get to the point of no return and end up costing them more than they can gain. PS3 was a lesson learned for them.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This hurt Sony with the PS3 more than MS did in that era.
I dont know what on earth could make Sony make such a horrible decision of launching a console that lost hundreds per unit sold. The PS3 must have got to the point of no return where sony just said fuck it, launch the shit and we will figure it out as we go.
Goes to show how bad the oversight was in that era and prolly the reason why sie today have no problem shutting shit down closing studios, canceling games before they get to the point of no return and end up costing them more than they can gain. PS3 was a lesson learned for them.
PS3 hardware made Sony lose all the profit they had with PS2 gen.

It was really atrocious.

But they changed (they had to because the company was near bankruptcy) with PS4 that basically saved the whole Sony… yes PlayStation division started to profit with PS4 and that helped Sony to save the others divisions and rethink what was good or not for their business.

Kaz made a lot of decisions using PS4 success as base to put Sony back on profits.

Yoshida said after become CEO that Kaz was “key to Sony's monumental turnaround”… and I agree it was a really big turnaround using gaming (PS4) as base…. PS4 hardware was profitable before the console turn out a year old.

Last edited: