Microsoft removes Xbox branding on official websites and promotional material

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Probably one of Riky/Darkmage/other MS shill who is very butthurt, because of 20 years taking it in without vaseline.

@rawr please at least tell us who you really are before you disappear

EDIT: too late 😞

Ech, we are denied by mods, to get those tasty salty tears 😂
Enough.
Do behave.

Let's get back on topic: the obvious typos/changes from last year that somehow people only noticed now.

• Informative
Reactions: Entropi and arvfab

Yeona

29 Jul 2023
It feels strange because we know for a fact that there's that mid-gen refresh from the court documentation. The "adorably all digital" thing. If they are planning on changing the page to include that console as well, I guess it would make sense to distinguish it to "console(S)" plural. But then again, wouldn't they simply wait until the hardware's officially announced and only THEN change the branding?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It feels strange because we know for a fact that there's that mid-gen refresh from the court documentation. The "adorably all digital" thing. If they are planning on changing the page to include that console as well, I guess it would make sense to distinguish it to "console(S)" plural. But then again, wouldn't they simply wait until the hardware's officially announced and only THEN change the branding?
I had seen a couple of rumors suggesting that the mid-gen refresh had been cancelled, but who knows at this point.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
so they are dropping the Xbox name? Good it’s an ugly name what will they call it?
Maybe they only recently decided on a rebranding. They also rebranded Bing to copilot.
All is very confusing because MS never has long term plans.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It makes total business sense to stop including their new games day one on GP and to also sell them in rival consoles. That would help them have a profitable gaming division.

They may not kill their console or Xbox brand now, but if don't kill them now they may do it in a few years.

Putting games day one on their game subs generates loses. Their hardware generate loses. But to sell games and addons, plus to have old games in game subs generates profits.

Their focus should be on selling games and addons in all platforms, and as secondary focus to have a cheaper GP with old games. That would highly improve their finances making their gaming division profitable and generating more revenue thn ever before.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It makes total business sense to stop including their new games day one on GP and to also sell them in rival consoles. That would help them have a profitable gaming division.
At this point, the majority of the studios MS have purchased were only pulling in as much money as they were BECAUSE they were on everything.

I guess it's possible that MS decided that they could be way more successful with a multiplatform strategy than they ever were beforehand.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
At this point, the majority of the studios MS have purchased were only pulling in as much money as they were BECAUSE they were on everything.

I guess it's possible that MS decided that they could be way more successful with a multiplatform strategy than they ever were beforehand.
Yes, they made a lot of money because they were selling games everywhere. To make them console exclusive when their console is the last one in the market would be a pretty retarded take because they'd generate way less revenue, even more if giving away their games day one on GP. That would tank the revenue and kill the profits of these acquired companies.

Phil, Satya and other MS people like the Xbox CFO have been talking since at least 2017, and particularly regarding the Zenimax and ABK acquisitions, that they wanted to expand to more platforms. Because obviously more platforms means more revenue and users.

Their long term plan should -and I assume is- to be the top 1 gaming company in revenue and users. And they only can achieve that going multiplatform in PC+all consoles+mobile.

24 Jun 2022
Damn, it's really happening after all, huh? I was always saying things like Day 1 on Game Pass needed to go, etc.

But to see it actually happening, alongside what very much looks like a de-prioritization of their own consoles (you don't remove Xbox branding unless you're sunsetting the current hardware in terms of new production), it's kind of wild to see and take in. Especially with it all happening at the same time.

I mean even if MS do continue with gaming hardware, will they even call it 'Xbox'? Or maybe they develop a standardized spec (NGL it'd be cool to see a consolized gaming laptop around a set spec using CAMM memory) they'd license out to themselves and OEMs (I still think this is 100% happening) and forego the Xbox branding in doing so? Maybe they could be cheeky and call it the Model series. SEGA hasn't used that naming in decades.

Anyway, next week...I'm almost prepared that they're just gonna rip the band-aid off altogether. Not much point playing loose with words, with changes being implemented this swiftly.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Damn, it's really happening after all, huh? I was always saying things like Day 1 on Game Pass needed to go, etc.

But to see it actually happening, alongside what very much looks like a de-prioritization of their own consoles (you don't remove Xbox branding unless you're sunsetting the current hardware in terms of new production), it's kind of wild to see and take in. Especially with it all happening at the same time.

I mean even if MS do continue with gaming hardware, will they even call it 'Xbox'? Or maybe they develop a standardized spec (NGL it'd be cool to see a consolized gaming laptop around a set spec using CAMM memory) they'd license out to themselves and OEMs (I still think this is 100% happening) and forego the Xbox branding in doing so? Maybe they could be cheeky and call it the Model series. SEGA hasn't used that naming in decades.

Anyway, next week...I'm almost prepared that they're just gonna rip the band-aid off altogether. Not much point playing loose with words, with changes being implemented this swiftly.

Can't find Phil Spencer quote about Gamepass sustainability few years ago when he said customers shouldn't care about it, they should care what is best for them. Well, here we are now

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Toy Story Goodbye GIF

24 Jun 2022

I think if that were the case, they'd just phrase it as "Xbox consoles". As in, there is little reason to get rid of the branding altogether unless things have significantly changed with plans BTS.

If plans regarding Xbox platforms for branding remained the same, but the games are targeting all consoles going forward, they could've just listed all the consoles and/or their brands. But I've been thinking more about what some people have said, WRT Sony and Nintendo not wanting to play ball with a Microsoft multiplatform policy that essentially uses their platforms as an advertising bed to siphon users over to Xbox console platforms. All the 30% cuts in the world don't make sense if you've got what's still a direct competitor, putting all their games on your platform while trying to sell your customers on Day 1 Game Pass (or Game Pass in general), a service only on Microsoft platforms console-wise. Why grant a developer license to a company looking to do that?

I don't think this means no new releases are coming to Xbox Series S & X; 1P-wise they'll still get all the current games in the pipeline. But I don't think Day 1 Game Pass is a guarantee anymore for any of them, and Microsoft might also stop manufacturing new Series consoles (they will probably still have new gaming hardware though but probably under different branding and a very different business model). These changes probably also make it a lot more likely they can offer Game Pass on Sony & Nintendo consoles, but it'll be a lot more like say EA Play. Maybe instead of Day 1, you get timed trails for new releases with larger trial periods depending on your subscription tier?

In terms of competitiveness, this is likely the end for the Series consoles, and Xbox consoles in general. Hardware-wise they should be a lot more interested in the growing gaming-centric PC devices market. But there won't be anything releasing from that for at least another two years. I just hope they don't half-ass it; a really high-quality, gaming-optimized semi-consolized PC NUC product line running Windows with an Xbox-like console GUI frontend, semi-custom (a standardized spec with some scalability that can be refreshed every few years and baseline-wise tries matching what an equivalent console would be doing that gen TDP/power/tech-wise) and with some neat form factors in different device types, licensable by OEMs like the Surface products, could be a really good buy.

If they just let any random Intel/Nvidia/AMD chips and stuff get slapped together in a box and drop the Xbox branding on it (which doesn't even make sense if they're getting away from that branding), or only give it as much effort as the Steam Machines, then it'll get nowhere.