Midori: Current plan at Sega is to make Like a Dragon, Persona & Sonic annual franchises through new titles, remakes, remasters, DLC Expansions, etc.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Yeah that checks out, a lot of Yakuza/Persona games in recent years.
We've seen mainline games, shorter games, PC ports, remasters, etc...

Sonic games are still a coin toss if they're any good.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah that checks out, a lot of Yakuza/Persona games in recent years.
We've seen mainline games, shorter games, PC ports, remasters, etc...

Sonic games are still a coin toss if they're any good.
Yeah thy need to bring something new to the forefront if thy just plan on miking Yakuza and Sonic tht gets tiring quick.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Annual releases always work out well, amirite?
Midori doesn't mean to release a new band new game of that IP every year, means to release any of this every year for every IP:
  • New game
  • Remaster
  • Remake
  • DLCs
  • Movie/tv show/etc adaptation
Meaning, they may release a brand new game every 5 years, but between these main releases to release DLCs, remasters, remakes, adaptations, etc.

Meaning, they don't plan turning these IPs into a FIFA/CoD annual series with a main entry every year.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Midori doesn't mean to release a new band new game of that IP every year, means to release any of this every year for every IP:
  • New game
  • Remaster
  • Remake
  • DLCs
  • Movie/tv show/etc adaptation
Meaning, they may release a brand new game every 5 years, but between these main releases to release DLCs, remasters, remakes, adaptations, etc.

Meaning, they don't plan turning these IPs into a FIFA/CoD annual series with a main entry every year.
Combination of all. Yakuza is already in its way to be yearly with all its spin offs.

Reactions: kuzon

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
As long as the quality remains. I thought Sony taught the industry the consequences of annualizing your game last decade though... At a certain point yakuza/persona won't be as exciting.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
So bad, what a stupid company. No wonder they tied themselves to Xbox.
They do silly things, but I cant remember what the relationship is with Xbox. Isnt it the cloud side? Which PS did the same?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hmmm its a bit silly, it never works, but I can see what they are trying.

Yakuza main game
Yakuza Ryu game
Yakuza Spin off
I still think it will be too much

Persona will just be silly. Use those teams to make the main like Persona come out faster, and the rest can make remakes of the previous 4 games, or even SMT, Digital Devil Saga etc.

Sonic… We just want Sonic Mania 2 and Sonic Adventure 3. Why avoid them when its what fans want. Sonic Kart game was actually quite good so they should do that again.

Im glad Sega is finally working on Jet Set Radio, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and Shinobi again. Hopefully they will work on there other IPs like Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon Saga

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Hmmm its a bit silly, it never works, but I can see what they are trying.

Yakuza main game
Yakuza Ryu game
Yakuza Spin off
I still think it will be too much

Persona will just be silly. Use those teams to make the main like Persona come out faster, and the rest can make remakes of the previous 4 games, or even SMT, Digital Devil Saga etc.

Sonic… We just want Sonic Mania 2 and Sonic Adventure 3. Why avoid them when its what fans want. Sonic Kart game was actually quite good so they should do that again.

Im glad Sega is finally working on Jet Set Radio, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and Shinobi again. Hopefully they will work on there other IPs like Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon Saga
Yeah as if tht makes a difference shit going to get stake fast.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah as if tht makes a difference shit going to get stake fast.
I wouldnt mind yearly versions of my favourite games but yes its gonna get fast quick. Especially for 99% of people.

Personally I can play a new Pikmin, Fire Emblem, RE game etc every year. As long as those games took the normal time it took to make them. A bit like how COD uses 3 different teams. But those are my favourite type genres.

I could easily play a Naughty Dog or House Marque game every year too, something like Lost legacy and Resogun etc but new IPs.
For ND games, Its like 10- 20 hours. Its like watching a tv series season every year. It wont get old for me lol

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Imagine, if you will, a boot stepping on a Sonic the Hedgehog face. Forever.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They do silly things, but I cant remember what the relationship is with Xbox. Isnt it the cloud side? Which PS did the same?
Nope, for some time now Sega chose to market all their games for Xbox instead of PlayStation, put many of their games day one on Gamepass and even hide PS5 versions of their games (despite hardly selling any game on Xbox).

I cant blame Sony for this one, Sega is stupid.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nope, for some time now Sega chose to market all their games for Xbox instead of PlayStation, put many of their games day one on Gamepass and even hide PS5 versions of their games (despite hardly selling any game on Xbox).

Let them burn..

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Thats probably all part of the same arrangement. Like the part where how any Sega game has to come to Xbox despite all previous deals