MLB The Show going multiplatform has been a disaster - @Puertorock77

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Puertorock goes through the degradation in scores and then shows the practical degradation in quality in the latest installment of MLB, where we see bizarre glitches, low quality models etc. (from 8.37) since the franchise went multiplatform.

I think it's obvious that forcing the developers to make the game multiplatform has seriously hurt the quality overall.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
of course, now the game has to be limited to PS3 gen level because of Nintendo Switch, exclusivity brings insane amount of quality and polishment, games like Horizon Forbidden West, God Of War Ragnarok and Spiderman 2 would not be the same if they were developed for other platforms, they would not have the same level of fidelity and optmization, that's why this PC strategy Sony took place in 2020 worries me, because if they go day and date eventually that's a big L for us.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Puertorock goes through the degradation in scores and then shows the practical degradation in quality in the latest installment of MLB, where we see bizarre glitches, low quality models etc. (from 8.37) since the franchise went multiplatform.

I think it's obvious that forcing the developers to make the game multiplatform has seriously hurt the quality overall.
but xbots and xbox shill told me quality doesn't suffer and that PS Ponies just fencing games

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
I seriously doubt that Sony or MLB care about scoring a few points lower than several years ago. 2023 was an 81 which for a sports game is pretty damn good. Look at Madden, when there was competition, it scored way higher 20 years ago than it has without competition which is the main reason for low scores for sports games. No competition, 9 month development cycle, etc. are the bigger reasons as to the decline in quality which is debatable anyway because it's a sports game and like all sports games, it's basically the same game every year with updated rosters.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I doubt MLB has the budgets it did a few years ago. It was important a few years ago but that choice to go multiplat would've meant Sony would care a lot less. And the second choice by MLB of putting it on Gamepass was just a sign of a poor relationship. I doubt that was received well behind closed doors

I expect they will part with the license at the next renewal and either make stand alone baseball games or put the studio on something new

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It was obvious since the first multiplatform release…

Some guys said I was “hating” because it was now releasing on Xbox but in fact it was lacking a lot of features and polishiment of the previous year.

BTW Gamepass quality seal doesn’t help too.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I doubt MLB has the budgets it did a few years ago. It was important a few years ago but that choice to go multiplat would've meant Sony would care a lot less. And the second choice by MLB of putting it on Gamepass was just a sign of a poor relationship. I doubt that was received well behind closed doors

I expect they will part with the license at the next renewal and either make stand alone baseball games or put the studio on something new
I hope they make there own one.
It was a shitty move by MLB, screw them.

Does the studio/Sony make money from the gamepass deal or does it go straight to MLB's pocket?

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
I wonder how profitable this IP is for Sony. Nobody cares about baseball outside The US. No need for Sony to be so obsessed with it and dedicate a first party studio when they already have less studios.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I wonder how profitable this IP is for Sony. Nobody cares about baseball outside The US. No need for Sony to be so obsessed with it and dedicate a first party studio when they already have less studios.
The insomniac leaks showed theres like an average spend of $100 for MLB the show. Which is a lot higher than their other games, and its mostly just copy and paste every year. So yeah, its very profitable for Sony.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
The insomniac leaks showed theres like an average spend of $100 for MLB the show. Which is a lot higher than their other games, and its mostly just copy and paste every year. So yeah, its very profitable for Sony.
Was that slide posted here? I wish I could see it.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023

Wasn’t there a rumor that they were working on an existing PS ip? The rumor was Uncharted. Sony should push San Diego to an existing Sony owned ip then relying on MLB he’ll let them make a new Uncharted w Naughty dog guidance & make a live service component for Uncharted like Uncharted 4, Uncharted multiplayer is heavily slept on & really fun to play. It doesn’t even have to be a grand scale live service just the same thing as Uncharted 4 to make Uncharted fans happy by providing constant multiplayer content for years for them since Naughty Dog has been lackluster

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Wasn’t there a rumor that they were working on an existing PS ip? The rumor was Uncharted. Sony should push San Diego to an existing Sony owned ip then relying on MLB he’ll let them make a new Uncharted w Naughty dog guidance & make a live service component for Uncharted like Uncharted 4, Uncharted multiplayer is heavily slept on & really fun to play. It doesn’t even have to be a grand scale live service just the same thing as Uncharted 4 to make uncharted fans happy by providing constant multiplayer content for years
Yeah there was a rumour they were makjng a new IP but there's been rumours of them making a new IP for like ten years or more

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024

How does he know these are glitches and the athletes don't look like that in real life?

/s

It's consistently one of the best selling games annually despite it being on GamePass. I'd be stunned if the license isn't renewed. What's more likely is that Microsoft doesn't continue to put it on GamePass after the most recent contract expires. I'm actually surprised that it isn't releasing on PC.

I would guess it is extremely profitable. It sells well every year and they probably don't spend much money on development compared to most titles. There would be a cost for licensing, but aside from that, it's a pure money maker.

As for people not caring about baseball outside of the US, that's factually inaccurate, especially in Japan. If Sony is smart they'll expand the licensing to include WBC and other international leagues, and American levels including little league and women's college softball. And really push to make this a larger eSport.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
As for people not caring about baseball outside of the US, that's factually inaccurate, especially in Japan. If Sony is smart they'll expand the licensing to include WBC and other international leagues, and American levels including little league and women's college softball. And really push to make this a larger eSport.
Oh companies are definitely smart regarding money. Sony doesn't have the interest to push baseball inspite of having the license for so many years. Everything revolves around The US and it's history for them.

Most of the revenue is probably coming from here or else they would have taken advantage of the popularity and made even more money.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Oh companies are definitely smart regarding money. Sony doesn't have the interest to push baseball inspite of having the license for so many years. Everything revolves around The US and it's history for them.

Most of the revenue is probably coming from here or else they would have taken advantage of the popularity and made even more money.

It's not always that simple. A lot of things come down to timing and when licensing becomes available.

The next WBC isn't until 2026.

Konami may very well have exclusivity to the Japanese Baseball league and I'm not sure but they might have the Korean league as well.

So again, timing is really important.

Why is EA making an NCAA Football 25 game after so many years (it's been over a decade) of not having NCAA football? Well they were able to negotiate a license for using players.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
MLB the Show average unit price at $116, those microtransactions are serious

pretty cool to see the numbers, Demon's Souls Remake did pretty decently and probably made a good profit; Returnal didn't sell a whole lot but it probably also turned a decent profit due to high ASP. What I don't understand is why there is no Bloodborne remaster if it sold so many copies. Sony literally sitting on a goldmine