Monopoly Go reaches $2bn 10 months after launch |News-in-brief|. This is why they want to chase GAAS and Mobile. $500 mil spent on marketing.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1710498270493.png

It’s amazing to think that at this time last year, we were preparing for the worldwide launch of “MONOPOLY GO!” after a seven-year journey to develop the game.

Today, I finally took a moment to reflect on the incredible journey of “MONOPOLY GO!.” Last month, we celebrated another major milestone in the MONOPOLY adventure by officially passing $2 billion in lifetime revenue. That exciting moment came just ten months since launch and only three months after reaching $1 billion, which is astounding.

The trajectory of this experience has been nothing short of extraordinary, and we have our talented team and passionate players to thank.

The engagement of our players has been, and continues to be, exceptional—while early retention beat our expectations, the remarkable long-term stickiness of the experience has challenged what we thought was possible in casual games, with over 8 million people playing every day of the week—representing more than 70% of our 10 million+ total daily players. This deep engagement is a true testament to our team of gamemakers and the ways they inspire play, every day. It has been incredible to see a game find an extremely invested, loyal audience that continues to significantly grow every day.

At Scopely, we have five culture tenets that drive our work: play to win; care deeply; ignite passion, earn loyalty; iterate to greatness; and embrace the adventure.

I cannot think of a journey that better represents our tenets more than “MONOPOLY GO!,” and I can certainly say it was an adventure. As anyone in the games industry knows all too well, the road to success is never linear. There were moments during the seven-year development process to get to “MONOPOLY GO!” where we questioned if we were on the right path, and, to be perfectly honest, there were plenty of times when we were not.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The profit must be ridiculous being thst this isn't one of those AAA demanding games.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Completely different industry compared to traditional PC and console games.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Completely different industry compared to traditional PC and console games.
All relevant as big companies like Sony are chasing those margins and are also involved in mobile gaming. Not to mention many of those big puffed up stats we see about gaming, include mobile. Different to us but not different to those big corps or many casuals.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
All relevant as big companies like Sony are chasing those margins and are also involved in mobile gaming. Not to mention many of those big puffed up stats we see about gaming, include mobile. Different to us but not different to those big corps or many casuals.
They can chase all they want, it's not going to do them any favors as they are not suited at all to compete in the mobile space. It's an even worse pivot then the GaaS one.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They can chase all they want, it's not going to do them any favors as they are not suited at all to compete in the mobile space. It's an even worse pivot then the GaaS one.
For the most part I concur buy Sony has had one or two mobile bangers. Different divisions and seperate from gaming division and all tht though. Damn It's reminding me of Sony's mobile initiative few years back.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
I mean this has as much to do with console gaming as reality tv shows have to do with cinema. Let’s make cinema for tik tok durp durp.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
In England, Old Kent Road (brown) is the cheapest property, and Mayfair(purple) is the most expensive.

What are your countries like?

No farms or Cavarvan parks please @Bryank75

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It has been one of the most successful mobile games of the last year, don't remember right now if the most successful one. Pretty sure the most successful one released in the last 12 month. We have to consider this case is an exception, like let's say Palworld. In the same way that all indies don't have the success of Palworld, not all mobile games have this success.

But still, there's a lot of money to be made in mobile specially with globally popular IPs well known by the mainstream casual market. I think that once SIE starts to release their mobile games in the next few years, I think that in addition to adapt their most popular game and movie IPs it would be interesting to acquire Hasbro to adapt in gaming specially to mobile (and in some cases movies) mainstrem IPs they have: Transformers, G.I. Joe, Power Rangers, M.A.S.K., Monopoly, Furby, Nerf, Play-Doh, Twister, Jem & The Holograms, Rom the Space Knight, Micronauts, Beyblade, Zoids, My Little Pony, Peppa Pig, Cluedo, Dungeons & Dragons, Magic The Gathering, Pokemon TCG...

On top of that, Hasbro could brind the popular Sony movie and game IPs to toys, figurines, board games or trading card games.

The profit must be ridiculous being thst this isn't one of those AAA demanding games.
They are simple and cheap to make, but they need to finance dozens and letting them fail to see if one is succesful. It feels like playing the lottery but with big money for companies.
Well, it depends. There are mobile games like Genshin that are basically like PC or console F2P titles, budgets also highly increased a lot in mobile during the last decade, not only in development but specially in marketing because having an insane competition prices of have risen a lot and aren't as effective as in the past because .

Last edited: