Mortal Kombat 1's Ed Boon 'Absolutely' Wants to Make Something Different

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Tune Into IGN at gamescom 2023!

Mortal Kombat 1's Ed Boon 'Absolutely' Wants to Make Something Different​

Ed Boon comments on Mortal Kombat's violence, fighting game burnout, animations, and more.​

Mortal Kombat 1's Ed Boon 'Absolutely' Wants to Make Something Different - IGN Image

Ed Boon is inarguably an industry legend, with a career that spans more than 30 years that includes the creation of one of the most influential fighting games of all time, Mortal Kombat. His team's latest, Mortal Kombat 1, is essentially a reboot of the series, refreshing its beloved characters with new origin stories, new looks, and sometimes even completely new identities.

But despite how much Mortal Kombat may change, certain things always remain the same: conversations about the game's penchant for violence, critique of its animations, and the difficulty with which streamers and content creators have monetizing their content. At a recent event in Chicago, I managed to ask Boon a handful of questions surrounding these topics, along with the upcoming Mortal Kombat 2 movie, how NetherRealm avoids fighting game burnout, and more.

IGN: You've been predominantly making fighting games for the better part of 30 years at this point. Do you ever feel fighting game burnout, and do you have any desire to do something different with the Mortal Kombat franchise or any franchise?
Ed Boon, Chief Creative Officer at NetherRealm Studios:
To the second question: I absolutely have desire to do something different. Surprisingly, I don't feel burnout just because we've been trying new stuff with each game. Sometimes it's something as minor as like a side game of Puzzle Kombat, Konquest, all these kind of modes and now, Invasions. So those game features and game modes I think for our studio keep things kind of fresh while we still do the core mechanic of a fighting game in online, single player story, all that stuff.
I absolutely have desire to do something different.

I know that violence is intrinsically tied to Mortal Kombat, but with how important influencers, content creators, and streamers have become to video games and how difficult it's become to monetize Mortal Kombat content, does that give you any thought about any kind of streamer safe mode that kind of cuts around or limits the blood and gore?
EB:
Yeah, it does. The dilemma, I don't know if I'd call it dilemma, but the thing that I think about is, let's say we had a mode that turned off all the blood or something or didn't have fatalities or something like that. Part of it is... part of the definition of Mortal Kombat is those things. And so to strip away an entire layer of it, do we really want that to be the main representation that is of the game online? It's not the whole presentation. Now, granted to me it's not like, "Okay, so that's a deal breaker. We're never going to do it." I'm always trying to think what can we do to keep the spirit of what the game is, but also allow streamers, because I'm fully aware of streamers, to show the game and make content based on the game. I think that's the dilemma.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I think NetherRealm Studios has the talent to make something else other than fighting games. Taking the MK franchise to different genre (action adventure/RPG) like they tried to in the past but this time being a much better studio they can definitely do good with it. The MK lore is so much fun.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Boon is being ridiculous. Just have a blood code or a gore/kill options toggle, and make the safe version the default for streamers. Have your crossovers whom cant be killed over there exclusively, and sort of reserve the gore and Mortal Kombat-ness for the MK area.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Well, I'd love more old style 2D / drawn fighting games. Some interesting visual styles.

Like Marvel V Capcom should be 2D.
Yes this.

I dont buy the whole its expensive for 2d drawn characters crap.
If way smaller teams in 90’s were making way more fighting games and way more characters, then there is no reason why they cant do it now.
And if the other excuse that players prefer to have custom character Costumes to play online, then that doesnt fly with me either. Id rather have 2D looking games and more of them, then just having extra add on costimes for my 3D character model.

Capcom:

1994-2002 ( Not including ports )

-Super Street Fighter II Turbo
-DarkStalkers
-X-Men: Children of the Atom
-Night Warriors: DarkStalkers’ Revenge (Arcade) [Darkstalkers 2]
-Street Fighter Alpha 1
-Marvel Super Heroes

Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha
Star Gladiator: Episode 1 – Final Crusade

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Street Fighter EX
Red Earth

Street Fighter 3 - New generation
Marvel vs Street Fighter
Pocket Fighter
Vampire Hunter
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha

Jo Jo Bizarre Adventure
Dark Stalker 3
Rival Schools

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
Tech Romancer
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Marvel VS Capcom
Marvel VS Capcom 2

SNK vs Capcom 1-2

Plus more and PowerStone 1-2

Compared to the output now days of SNK and Capcom its a joke

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
He wants to make something different, but apparently lacks the skill to do so, since he keeps shitting out the same game, over and over.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
What I'd do is make the DC game the vs everyone game. You could stuff it with every alt version of Superman you wanted and have him beat the shit out of more than just the TMNT as far as guest characters go etc. Establish a horror crossover brand, and cross pollinate MK guest characters over for being able to take advantage of the Fatality/Killing aspect. Focus MK for MK characters, lore etc. I'd take a simillar engine across three more-focused game/roster alignments, if there was a seamless incremental quality of life across them. Even then for MK I'd make no blood the default mode and flip the blood code on/off, or toggle the gore setting on/off if I were an MK streamer. What really is the issue? Dividing the efforts better amongst properties, you can have more time for other projects he really wants outside of the fighting sphere. Shoulin Monks 2 please lol