Mortal Kombat co-creator talks series origins and where the legendary fighter goes from here.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
Ed Boon is practically gaming royalty. He’s been a working designer since the late 80s, starting with pinball and quickly moving to arcade games. And then he and three other folks created Mortal Kombat, and the rest is history.

The legendary fighting series hits the big 3-0 tomorrow, a date that marks the release of the original Mortal Kombat arcade cabinets on October 8, 1992. And Boon has worked on Mortal Kombat for every one of those 30 years, a highly unusual feat in video game design.

To celebrate the occasion, I caught up with the affable creator, now Chief Creative Officer for Mortal Kombat & NetherRealm Studios, to talk about his deep roots with the series, reminisce on his career developing MK, and try to get a sense of where it goes from here.

Interview here:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Incredible characters, really was groundbreaking back when it came out.

Not a big fan of how the game feels to play...the movement feels very stop / start.

Last game was a lot of fun though, great story....it's always been fun over everything else for me.

Reactions: Sircaw and SSfox

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I really wish these MK games would askew typical mobile game customisation such as color swatches they pick, and limited accessory/move customisation slots, and go full bore into character editing, more akin to MKA kreate a kombatant, wwe games or the custom character in SF6's overworld.

I should be able to essentially create different versions of characters with freedom, and NRS can keep a flow of appearance parts or moves coming as updates. Still have characters as paid dlc (buy MKD Sub Zero to get all his parts in CAW mode, but free to use on any custom character etc). Don't think we'll ever see that tbh, but it'd be sweet.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I remember my first ripping someone's heart out as Kano at the arcade., It was goddamn magnificent.

When i first played the original, i thought sub-zero was the good guy, i mean who calls a good guy scorpion FFS.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Love the games, but always sucked at them. Played it recently with my brother and he absolutely annihilated me multiple times, I was brutalised.

OP
OP
SSfox

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
The funny thing i remember from early MK, me as kid and friends we all though Kung Lao was a Cowboy lol