Movie or Book Adaption Into a AAA Game: What Would You Pick?

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If you could turn one book or movie into a AAA game, what would it be? Also, pick a developer for your dream project and add some details how it should play out.

Mine would be: The Mistborn Trilogy (1-3) by Brandon Sanderson.

Details: I'm surprised that no game dev has made this wonderful series into a AAA game yet. It has an amazing lore and it lends itself perfectly to modern-day video games because it explains all the magic and traversal systems so well and in detail. I'd like if the game is a AAA open-world action-adventure game with light RPG elements. Good animations would be a must!

Developers: I thnk Sony Santa Monica would be perfect for this job because of how well they can do magical fantasy. Other excellent options would be Insomniac or Sucker Punch.

My second choice would Jason Bourne. A globe-trotting linear third-person blockbuster action game with top-notch set pieces. I think Naughty Dog would be great for that game.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Blade Runner 2049, Ghost in the Shell.
I like cyperpunk or scifi settings. Would like more games in those settings. Very low numbers gets those settings. Too low.
Oh man! BR 2049 is one of my favorite films. I'd love a AAA game like that.

Who would you pick as the developer?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Oh man! BR 2049 is one of my favorite films. I'd love a AAA game like that.

Who would you pick as the developer?
Depends on genre. If story-choice based then Quantic Dream, I know, it is not popular but Detroit was great with loads of choices.
If more like action adventure, bounty hunter, maybe Respawn. Great developers under shit publisher.

Reactions: Heisenberg007

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Movie: Escape from New York

Developer: Kojima Productions

Need I say more?

Book: The Mark of Zorro

Developer: Sucker Punch

A bit of cheating here as I havent read the book. Mashing the Zorro IP with Ghost of Tsushima would be massive. Get Antonio Banderas to voice Don Diego De La Vega.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Blade Runner 2049, Ghost in the Shell.
I'm in. But instead 2029 I'd choose Blade Runner as a whole to turn it into a game IPs that would cover both movies and more. Same goes with the Alien series plus Akira.

I think there's a huge untapped potential on these IPs for AAA gaming that wasn't fullfilled in previous games.

Regarding who could do it I'd say Sony. Both with internal studios like ND, SSM, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Bend or Guerrilla or external ones like Quantic Dream, a new studio with key former RAD devs, BlueTwelve Studios, Kojipro, Nagoshi Studio.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Mine would be: The Mistborn Trilogy (1-3) by Brandon Sanderson.

I see you are a man of good taste.

1.) I’d like to see The Stormlight Archive series adapted.
Im torn between Santa Monica because of they have facial animations, story telling, voice acting and most importantly combat and epic bosses.
But Id also like to see Naughty Dog make their first open world game and use their experience of story telling and attention to detail.

2.) Id like to see FromSoft make Berserk

3.) The team has disbanded but Id like to see United Front Games or SuckerPunch making an Underworld adpatation or the Vampire Chronicles

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I see you are a man of good taste.

1.) I’d like to see The Stormlight Archive series adapted.
Im torn between Santa Monica because of they have facial animations, story telling, voice acting and most importantly combat and epic bosses.
But Id also like to see Naughty Dog make their first open world game and use their experience of story telling and attention to detail.

2.) Id like to see FromSoft make Berserk

3.) The team has disbanded but Id like to see United Front Games or SuckerPunch making an Underworld adpatation or the Vampire Chronicles
Mistborn i think would fit better as a game, Stormlight adaptation as a game would be much harder to pull off.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I know we already have had many games in the IP, but a LotR game by Santa Monica would be nice.

Also a The Matrix game by the SIFU devs.

Schindler's List as a choice based game, maybe by Quantic Dreams or Supermassive.

Yeah, I kinda wanted a LOTR game where you played as the Witch King of Angmar.... a storyline based around him.

I would also love a game where you play as a dark side user in Star Wars when there is a power vacuum on that side of the force, you can go around finding people to teach you... like the Nightsisters, or find relics etc. Eventually elevating yourself to a Sith master.

Also thought ND could do a great Inception style game too.

And I would love a game version of one of my favorite films / books The Count of Monte Cristo.

Last edited:
Reactions: arvfab

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
father ted horror GIF

• brain
Reactions: Dick Jones

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Deathgate Cycle series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Very unique magic system and interesting world building.
Ilium/Olympos by Dan Simmons. Very interesting sci-fi premise.
A game based loosely around The Three Body Problem would be pretty interesting.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Mistborn i think would fit better as a game, Stormlight adaptation as a game would be much harder to pull off.
That's how I feel, too.

Mistborn lends itself to gaming perfectly. Sometimes, it almost feels as if it was conceptualized as a video game first and then later adapted into books.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's how I feel, too.

Mistborn lends itself to gaming perfectly. Sometimes, it almost feels as if it was conceptualized as a video game first and then later adapted into books.
I prefer the settings for Stormlight etc.
Sucker Punch’s cancelled game Prophecy, gave me some Mistborn feels. Or maybe Im thinking of another game

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not movies or books, but I also think there's an untapped potential on making AAA games of Masters of the Universe (forgetting the recent Netflix woke adaptation) and GI Joe. Had a few adaptations in the past, but weren't good.

Talented people like Sony Santa Monica or Insomniac with He-Man or Respawn/Infinity Ward with GI Joe could do a great job with them.

Reactions: Kokoloko

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I prefer the settings for Stormlight etc.
Sucker Punch’s cancelled game Prophecy, gave me some Mistborn feels. Or maybe Im thinking of another game
I also prefer Stormlight as a series, but the story is some much more complex that it would be hard to make work in a game, but standalone story(game) in that world would definitely be interesting.