MS: PS4 Sold More Than Double As Xbox One Last Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
The xbox one did outsell the original, but I have a feeling no one is going to ever be all that nostalgic about the one compared to the original ( fuck Microsoft and their naming convention ).
Original had Otogi, Otogi 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Fable, KotOR, the good Halos etc etc. Xbone had what, Forza Horizon

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
That is what was reported and Sony confirmed it.

There is no reason to sell PS4 if anybody can buy a PS5… all PS4 releases works on PS5.
PS2 and PS3 lasted way more years because the successors didn’t have BC with previous machines.

What made Sony change plans was the scarcity of PS5.
So why did the Ps1 last so long when Ps2 was bc with Ps1

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So why did the Ps1 last so long when Ps2 was bc with Ps1
Because it was another age when console were not launched globally.

PS1, PS2 and PS3 launched in a lot of country several years after the Japan launch. PS4 was basically launched in all PlayStation countries in 4 months.
Some countries received PS1 after PS2 Japan launch.

Last edited:

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Ps4 could have easily done 130m if they gave it a price cut or even a slim model. I just think sony didn’t really care and i wanted to transition people to the ps5 asap
I dont think 130m would have been possible for a few reasons.

1. They did a great job marketing and introducing PS5.
2. PS5 is backwards compatible and there really is no point having folks choose the PS4 over the PS5.
3. Covid/chip shortages.

Combined all these things made PS5 a must have over a PS4. Sony and Jim over estimated the PS4 tail end.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I dont think 130m would have been possible for a few reasons.

1. They did a great job marketing and introducing PS5.
2. PS5 is backwards compatible and there really is no point having folks choose the PS4 over the PS5.
3. Covid/chip shortages.

Combined all these things made PS5 a must have over a PS4. Sony and Jim over estimated the PS4 tail end.

Ps4 i still expensive and sold out in every market, especially developing markets. There are a lot of people that would have bought PS4’s at 199.99 as opposed to 400-500 dollar ps5’s to play horizon, gt7, god of war, etc.

I think they are even more expensive in a lot of places right now

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm ignoring the PS1 because it didn't have Microsoft's competition.

PS2 - 158M
PS3 - 87M
PS4 - 117M
Total - 362M

Xbox - 24M
Xbox 360 - 84M
Xbox One - 58M
Total - 166M

That's less than half overall. Damn. If only MS had kept the pace and quality they had at the beginning of the 360 era and the gaming landscape could have looked much better nowadays, as Sony needs competition to keep them in check. But instead they resorted to hiring astroturfers, studios, and PR.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
My point is that if there is no PS5 supply issues PS4 shipment should be lower than 117m.
There is no point in sell a PS4 if PS5 can play all it games.
PS4 also had supply issues due to chip shortages, they started months before PS5 was release and like PS5 it's almost always sold out.

PS4 is cheaper than PS5 for the consumer, more profitable than PS5 for Sony and until now there are a small amount of next gen only gams. Game sales and engagement stats for PS4 where higher this FY than on its launch year.

It wouldn't make sense to discontinue it now. If Sony gets enough chips they should increase the production of PS4, not only PS5.

I'm ignoring the PS1 because it didn't have Microsoft's competition.

PS2 - 158M
PS3 - 87M
PS4 - 117M
Total - 362M

Xbox - 24M
Xbox 360 - 84M
Xbox One - 58M
Total - 166M

That's less than half overall. Damn. If only MS had kept the pace and quality they had at the beginning of the 360 era and the gaming landscape could have looked much better nowadays, as Sony needs competition to keep them in check. But instead they resorted to hiring astroturfers, studios, and PR.
This report mentions PS4 sold OVER twice than XBO (they specified to be talking about the generation, not all their consoles), so it must be under 58.6M since the last PS4 number we got was 117.2M.

This would be now, not back at the end of 2020 when XBO was discontinued (I assume they are comparing vs the current PS4 numbers, but maybe they are comparing vs the ones PS4 had when XBO was discontinued).

“To focus on production of Xbox Series X / S, we stopped production for all Xbox One consoles by the end of 2020,” says Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox console product marketing, in a statement to The Verge.

A GQ interview with Spencer (late 2021), Ampere (late 2020) and VGChartz (now) mention all 51M XBO consoles sold. So probably this is their final number.

But yes, even ignoring Sony's portables and PS1 and you only count the consoles where MS and Sony competed directly Sony sold over twice than MS.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It still baffles me that 50 million people bought into an objectively worse platform. Like why?

Empty promises and blind brand loyalty

Phil-Spencer-E3-2018.jpg

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz
Status
Not open for further replies.