My DualSense Edge Review

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
As you all know, Sony released the DualSense Edge control pad for the PS5 on January 26, 2023. It is a competetitive-level control pad, like the Razer Wolverine, Nacon Revolution and Thrustmaster E-Swap Pro. The price is $199.99 US or local equivalent, $269.99 here in Canada.

I am going to assume that everyone is familiar with the DualSense, and focus on the key differences and changes on the Edge in comparison.

The differences between the DualSense and the DualSense Edge fall into both hardware and software categories, and I will start with the hardware changes. First things first, there has been a ton of screeching online about the Edge having a smaller battery than the DualSense for wireless use. There is a good reason for it, and that is that the controller, having the same exterior dimensions as a standard DualSense can't fit anything bigger. The mechanisms for the trigger stops and back buttons take space, and the DualSense Edge doesn't have anywhere else to put the battery than behind the main circuit board.

For the sake of comparison, of the other control pads in the same category, the only other wireless one is the Razer Wolverine, which is much larger, the rest are wired. The Edge has a 9-foot braided USB-A to USB-C cable included, and a locking mechanism to keep it hooked in tight. Wireless almost seems like an afterthought or a convenience feature. The battery life is indeed shorter, getting in the neighbourhood of 5 hours per charge compared to a bit over 7 for my DualSense pads. Whether this is longer or shorter than you tend to play in a single session makes this more or less of an issue, naturally. Wireless works as well as the base DualSense model.

The Edge also has interchangeable back buttons, and two different types are included, paddle-style levers that hug the handles of the pad, and a pair of half-dome buttons. The paddles are great for fast-twitch functions like sprinting in Returnal or throwing grenades in an FPS. The half-domes surprised me. I honestly only started using them for the sake of my review, but am really liking them. Due to the action of the switches for the back buttons, they end up functioning like triggers, as your fingertips push backward on them to activate. They are great as a general-purpose button for things like RPGs where you have functions you don't necessarily need to be quite as instant to trigger, but want handy. Both sets of back buttons are die-cast alloy, which is a great touch. Hopefully they bring out alloy stick tips at some point to match!

The analog sticks are modular and replaceable. If your sticks start to drip or have other problems, you can pop the black centre panel off the Edge and find a release lever for each stick. Lift the lever, slide the stick module out, slide a new one in, and you are good to go. The stick tips pop off and can be changed, with one set that is identical to the stock DualSense's sticks, with the ringed dome pattern. They also pack in rounded-tip stick tops, like the traditional DualShock sticks, with short or long stick ends on them to suit tastes. I'd honestly be surprised if there aren't third-party replacements soon, same for the back buttons.

The D-pad, L1, R1 and face buttons have a slightly more positive response. Not a click, but more defined than a stock DualSense pad gives. The L2 and R2 triggers now have a mechanical trigger stop added, with the choice of full range of motion, half-range or button-press depth. The button-press setting is ideal for games that assign functions to the triggers that don't need triggers, like turning on auto-battle in Yakuza: Like a Dragon. There are two Function buttons directly behind the analog sticks that allow you to switch button profiles on the fly and adjust audio settings. As of current system software, both buttons do the same thing.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Is it worth buying if you're not a competitive or someone that likes the modularity, or is it overall a better experience?

• brain
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Software aspects are quite impressive for the DualSense Edge. Sony has added the ability to adjust dead zones and movement limits of the sticks and triggers, and change the response curves of the sticks. Want instant stick response? You got it. Linear response? You got it. For the hardcore competitive gamer, every tweak you might want to make is there, and of course, you can always make things less twitchy if you want to.

Other nice little touches are rubber grip added to the inside of the handles, texturing on the botton of the trigger surfaces of L2 and R2 and a smoother touchpad surface. The pad fits in the Sony charging dock for DualSense control pads with no issues. You also get a very high-quality hardshell carrying case that has a hatch you can open to access the controller's USB-C port to charge when it is not in use while keeping the pad safe.

Is it worth the money?

Well, that is entirely subjective. If you have arthritis or RSI in your hands and fingers, like I do, it is a godsend to have the degree of customization the Edge offers. The price is high, but in line with the category. If DualSense is equivalent to something like a Honda Accord, the Edge is more like an NSX. I got mine by trading in my PS4 Pro when I came to the conclusion that I didn't need to keep it for anything, and I got trade credit that paid the whole price. If I had to pay for it out of pocket, I can honestly say, in my circumstances (Using a standard control can make some games too painful to play for extended periods, or at all sometimes), it is something I would have been willing to pay for to continue to enjoy playing games. It isn't something everyone will need, or want, but I feel that it is a great product that does what it is intended to do very well.

The only thing I can honestly say I feel is missed would be another set of back buttons, but given the logistics, the only way that would work would be if they removed wireless to gain interior space.

I feel like I should give it a score, so I am going with 10/10

Last edited:
OP
OP
KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Is it worth buying if you're not a competitive or someone that likes the modularity, or is it overall a better experience?
I am not a competitive gamer, and I feel It is worth it for the accessibility factors, as well as being noticeably nicer in terms of feel.

And damn you guys for asking questions before I had my review finished! :mad:

• haha
Reactions: Satoru

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Hall Effect stick modules are being worked on.
Is this true? If it is I want it. Also I watched Mystic's review and he showed the software customization which to me was very impressive. Wish they would implement some of those features like the deadzone stuff for the standard dualsense.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Great review, thanks for taking the time to write and share with us.

Community reviews mean a lot.
That reminds me when is that Fleshlight- 2000 extreme penetrator edition review of yours in coming?

Hungry Ice Cream GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

And no @TubzGaming, don't do it

OP
OP
KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Nice, if only it had 4 back buttons instead of the two.

I'm use to using 4 now
Like the review says, there's nowhere to put more. Having taken apart a DualSense (Terrible experience, BTW), the only possible way to add more buttons and preserve the form factor would require totally dropping the wireless aspect.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Nice, if only it had 4 back buttons instead of the two.

I'm use to using 4 now
For me too this is the reason I'm not buying it. I have an AIM DualSense since near launch (delivery took months...) with the top rear buttons mapped to R3&L3 and the bottom ones to X&O. Since then, no cramps anymore in the hands while playing Soulslikes.

Reactions: Lord Mittens

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Great review! They really attacked the battery to spread FUD. The battery was never an issue for me with the original DualSense so with the very long cable it's even less of an issue (play and charge or switch to your DualSense).

The original was already the best controller ever and Edge is even better. I'm still testing all the options (back buttons, triggers, profiles). Love it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Software aspects are quite impressive for the DualSense Edge. Sony has added the ability to adjust dead zones and movement limits of the sticks and triggers, and change the response curves of the sticks. Want instant stick response? You got it. Linear response? You got it. For the hardcore competitive gamer, every tweak you might want to make is there, and of course, you can always make things less twitchy if you want to.
There are a lot of options for the sensitivity curve. Which one did you choose? I chose Dynamic but I'm not sure if it's good.

I'm not a pro, I play mostly single-player.

OP
OP
KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
There are a lot of options for the sensitivity curve. Which one did you choose? I chose Dynamic but I'm not sure if it's good.

I'm not a pro, I play mostly single-player.
I’ve mostly just kept it standard so far, but I can see where some of the tighter options could be good in some games.

There’s always an adaptation period with that kind of thing, so if something feels a little off, you do get used to it after some practice.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters