My theory for Sony handheld.

• Thread starter Deleted member 417
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 417

While everyone is speculating on Sonys handheld, here's my theory on Ps handheld.

Base power (undocked) will be equal to a ps4pro.

Docked will use the assets of the PS5 streamed using power of the cloud to the handheld.

Assets from ps5 lay ontop of ps4pro handheld to bring it to ps5 quality. Think GoW or Horizon ps4pro vs ps5

Assets streamed from your ps5, not the cloud or PSN to allow lowest latency.

If you lose connection to the Internet you don't lose the game, you just reduce quality of assets.

Uses same screen as psvr2 (economy of scales makes the screens cheaper)

Detachable hand controllers with haptic feedback.

SSD

The idea is that you can load the games onto the handheld via cloud or direct from your PS5. Using WiFi 6, you can "dock" the handheld when in range of the PS5 to bring the quality upto ps5 settings.
When undocked, you can play native ps4pro specs or connect to the Internet and you connect directly to your ps5.

Price targeting Switch area of £300.

Cerny will do it again.

Reactions: Bryank75

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
While everyone is speculating on Sonys handheld, here's my theory on Ps handheld.

Base power (undocked) will be equal to a ps4pro.

Docked will use the assets of the PS5 streamed using power of the cloud to the handheld.

Assets from ps5 lay ontop of ps4pro handheld to bring it to ps5 quality. Think GoW or Horizon ps4pro vs ps5

Assets streamed from your ps5, not the cloud or PSN to allow lowest latency.

If you lose connection to the Internet you don't lose the game, you just reduce quality of assets.

Uses same screen as psvr2 (economy of scales makes the screens cheaper)

Detachable hand controllers with haptic feedback.

SSD

The idea is that you can load the games onto the handheld via cloud or direct from your PS5. Using WiFi 6, you can "dock" the handheld when in range of the PS5 to bring the quality upto ps5 settings.
When undocked, you can play native ps4pro specs or connect to the Internet and you connect directly to your ps5.

Price targeting Switch area of £300.

Cerny will do it again.
Q Heavy? Next revision?

• they're_right_you_know

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
None of that makes any sense.

PS4 Portable, anything else is a waste of time

PS4, not PS4 Pro, not gimped PS5, not Vita 2, not cloud streaming, not remote play. Native PS4 games.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

None of that makes any sense.

PS4 Portable, anything else is a waste of time

PS4, not PS4 Pro, not gimped PS5, not Vita 2, not cloud streaming, not remote play. Native PS4 games.
Makes perfect sense. The handheld could be ps4pro native. Connect to the Internet and you get ps5 games. Simple

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It's likely not going to be any of that, nor does Sony need a handheld atm. Their studios need to be focused on the platforms they already have and not spread themselves out supporting yet another one.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Makes perfect sense. The handheld could be ps4pro native. Connect to the Internet and you get ps5 games. Simple
Basic PS4, not PS4 Pro. All PS4 Pro usually does is increase resolution, that would provide virtually no benefits for a handheld but would massivelly increase the cost and the power draw. Games are already optimized to run pretty well on the PS4 mostly at 1080p/30fps so it's perfect for a portable.

Remote play is worthless but sure add it as an option since pretty much any device including the Vita or any phone could do it.

If the Q-Lite is just an streaming device it should cost $99 at most and work as a second DualSense if needed. That's the only way I'll ever consider it but since the Backbone already costs $99 a remote-play only Q-Lite will definitely be overpriced.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Frankly I wouldn't understand Sony making a dedicated device only for it to be streaming / remote play only...seems like a massive waste when any phone with a backbone can do the same.
Whilst Sony cheerlead the backbone one, I don't believe that product exists on Android. This is similar to MS cheerleading the not-upto-snuff Logitek G streaming handheld. I don't know why they do that other than sponsorship/license money, but these products aren't good enough.

I ran into this just myself today, where trying to connect a Gamesir x2 USBC to my Surface Duo phone (two screens, play like a clamshell DS, but bottom landscape screen now has physical buttons on it's side, thanks to gamesir. First of all, I should be on an older non USBC bluetooth-only version which only comes in arse grey and not white or black like later models; since the USBC connector on device doesn't line up with my port (frustrating). I can fit it in there physically, but visually the phones not sat in the device properly, and it's a bit suspended in the air/getting gripped. It's not the most confidence inspiring setup.

Meanwhile, my older one screen TCL phone with a more standard body design than the Surface Duo, whose USBC port is correctly aligned for the gamesir x2... just doesn't wanna recognise it has the gamesir's USBC connector plugged into it at all.

And then I discovered that whilst XB GP works with gamesir, PS Remote Play just didn't. Probably because Sony lock their official Remote Play app to their own controllers last I checked (unsure of ios setup is with PS backbone one accessory). So as far as I can tell, at least as far as Sony official stuff for remote play, there's no way to cut devices down to phone/phone shell, it'll always want a PS pad connected in there? Or want to force you onto the Remote Play app's touchscreen controls, there's no middle ground?

So now... I believe I have to use a non-official remote play app, with a non official phone shell, so nothing will "feel right". And if I wasn't on a two screen phone, it'd have phone messages and stuff interrupting remote play sessions...

Other alterative, if you're not cobbling together a 3rd world remote play experience on Android, is a portable PC, like gpd win 4, which can use PS remote play app with the device's hard buttons (but there's more control on Windows to tell into do what you want etc). But they cost loads, import tax, and are actually too feature rich for what most would need. It's like putting a roll of bandages on a cut. And again, you're at the mercy of WiFi/data signal. It still needs to be good enough specs to play the PC ports of games if remote play app acting fucky.

What an unappealing mess. At a certain point you just say "I just want to play my PS library at times when I can't be in front of TV, it shouldnt be this much of a pain. It'd be great to just go "there's our portable device, no controller clips, no controller, needed. Not only subjugated to touch controls etc. Remote into your home console, play ps4 level games, stream PS+ games etc."

Instead Sony are rumored to be doing an elongated Remote Play Controller, that both doesn't work to stream games and I think would become a dud without any Internet connectivity out of the house unless it can also store/play locally games. Which is part of the reason you're going for a portable device in the first place, that out of the house access to your own game library.

They just can't seem to find their ass with both hands. We'll see what different rumors actually turn up with, but Jim Ryan seems to have a monkeys paw/is good at playing corrupt a wish.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
It's likely not going to be any of that, nor does Sony need a handheld atm. Their studios need to be focused on the platforms they already have and not spread themselves out supporting yet another one.
In the context of a PS4P/Next Gen Portable there is no extra platform or extra game library to consider. They're just PS4's playing PS4 games, or steaming them, or Remote Playing into PS5. They're even still doing PS4 releases of big games etc.

It'd bring a bit more sense to the deluxe packages on the store, where you get a PS4 copy and a PS5 copy of the game? Just dig up that old crossbuy branding again. I bought Thomas Was Alone once on PS3, and I eventually got it for free through crossbuy on Vita and PS4.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Deleted member 417
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

I think horizon and GoW were tests to see how good these games look on ps4 hardware, to see if it was worth making a ps4 level handheld that could also run these games. GoW and Horizon look amazing on a ps4. If you look at the launch show for ps4 even Killzone holds up today. It would make Steamdeck and switch look like a steaming pile of shit.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Frankly I wouldn't understand Sony making a dedicated device only for it to be streaming / remote play only...seems like a massive waste when any phone with a backbone can do the same.
It doesn’t work very well on my iPhone and I have a good connection

• Informative

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I think horizon and GoW were tests to see how good these games look on ps4 hardware, to see if it was worth making a ps4 level handheld that could also run these games. GoW and Horizon look amazing on a ps4. If you look at the launch show for ps4 even Killzone holds up today. It would make Steamdeck and switch look like a steaming pile of shit.
A ps4 handheld is not going to happen. I don’t know why some are so adamant as it being a possibility. It’s not happening.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: AshHunter216

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Another good way to support a PS4 handheld would be to port games that got stuck on legacy systems to PS4/PS5.

GoW 1, GoW 2, God of War, God of War: Chains of Olympus, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Resistance 1-3, Killzone 2-3, Infamous 1-2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Red Dead Redemption, MotorStorm, countless Ratchet & Clank games. None of those games are playable on PS4/PS5.

It would also be a great opportunity to work on adding more key PS1/PS2/PSP games to their library and PS+.

But I doubt any of it will happen including the PS4P because Sony lacks a grander vision for PlayStation and they don't care about their own legacy software.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Deleted member 417

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
A ps4 handheld is not going to happen. I don’t know why some are so adamant as it being a possibility. It’s not happening.
It's because it's like watching the stupid kid in class try and put all the jigsaw pieces together and failing. "nearly, almost, nope, now you're freezing... Who told you to make a steaming fan over here, and cold controllers over there, and a gimped remote play-only controller that's a half-product? Ffs, I'll do it for you!"

And that's how I feel. If this Remote Play Controller is a half product like others, I'll have to end up getting a GPD Win 4 and working around Sony's shortcomings. But I feel almost offended to seemingly have to do so. For such an easy lay up, Sony are fucking stupid.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Another good way to support a PS4 handheld would be to port games that got stuck on to PS4/PS5.

GoW 1, GoW 2, God of War, God of War: Chains of Olympus, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Resistance 1-3, Killzone 2-3, Infamous 1-2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Red Dead Redemption, MotorStorm, countless Ratchet & Clank games. None of those games are playable on PS4/PS5.

It would also be a great opportunity to work on adding more key PS1/PS2/PSP games to their library and PS+.

But I doubt any of it will happen including the PS4P because Sony lacks a grander vision for PlayStation and they don't care about their own legacy software.
If that PS Legacy team aren't honing their programmer chops, getting used to PS4/PS5 architecture by bringing older games forward, they should at least be rocking up to other companies and re-liscensing backwards compatible games and wrapping them in PS4 emulation wrapper for the PStore/PS+

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
It's because it's like watching the stupid kid in class try and put all the jigsaw pieces together and failing. "nearly, almost, nope, now you're freezing... Who told you to make a steaming fan over here, and cold controllers over there, and a gimped remote play-only controller that's a half-product? Ffs, I'll do it for you!"

And that's how I feel. If this Remote Play Controller is a half product like others, I'll have to end up getting a GPD Win 4 and working around Sony's shortcomings. But I feel almost offended to seemingly have to do so. For such an easy lay up, Sony are fucking stupid.
Meh, I’m not at all affected by it and the abound of concern trolling is annoying.

Reactions: AshHunter216

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Meh, I’m not at all affected by it and the abound of concern trolling is annoying.
That's the problem dude. Do you know how many discussions about Sony elsewhere were just met with "duh, sales and market leader" or "concern trolling". That has started to shift as the ABK deal has shifted to looking in MS's favor, finally. And now there's more discussion. Some people seen studios or marketing deals drift away from Sony over PS4/5 and sell their games elsewhere, sometimes exclusively elsewhere. Or they've waited through VitaTV, switch, Deck, portable pc's which weren't always as good as they are today obviously, a failed TV service, a streaming fan, possibly a gimped remote play controller. Just cause it doesn't bother you personally, doesn't mean the idea is without merit?

24 Jun 2022
A handheld with your specs launching this year would easily cost at least $499, probably more. Base specs of PS4 Pro is going to need a large battery for just decent battery life, and some elaborate cooling to not throttle.

Also do we even know if Mark Cerny is involved in the development of the rumored Q-Lite? If so I have hope that actual specs and features will be a lot more interesting than the current rumored stuff.