My theory for Sony handheld.

• Thread starter Deleted member 417
  • Start date

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
A handheld with your specs launching this year would easily cost at least $499, probably more. Base specs of PS4 Pro is going to need a large battery for just decent battery life, and some elaborate cooling to not throttle.

Also do we even know if Mark Cerny is involved in the development of the rumored Q-Lite? If so I have hope that actual specs and features will be a lot more interesting than the current rumored stuff.
For all we know, this Q-Lite can be a controller for a ps6. People are overreacting over nothing.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
My theory is that there is no Sony handheld.

If something, a splittable Dual Sense that can be attached to any a random phone or tablet in the middle to use Remote Play, PS cloud gaming or mobile phones.

Sony may also release -but I see it pretty unlikely until they successfully released a few high profile console IPs on mobile and brought their cloud gaming to mobile- a 5G Android tablet or phone with Wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 (both the same as PS5) designed to plug it there, use Remote Play play PS cloud gaming via 5G (could announce mobile and 5G support for PS cloud gaming at the same time) and play there mobile games as the upcoming Sony ones.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
My theory is that there is no Sony handheld.

If something, a splittable Dual Sense that can be attached to any a random phone or tablet in the middle to use Remote Play, PS cloud gaming or mobile phones.

Sony may also release a 5G Android tablet or phone with Wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 (both the same as PS5) designed to plug it there, use Remote Play play PS cloud gaming via 5G (could announce mobile and 5G support for PS cloud gaming at the same time) and play there mobile games as the upcoming Sony ones.

I think your first thought is the most likely tbh....

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

A ps4 handheld is not going to happen. I don’t know why some are so adamant as it being a possibility. It’s not happening.
This is just an opinion and discussion thread. It's alright to disagree and add some context. After all, this is a forum that's growing and encouraging any discussion, no matter how daft some may view it, is good for the forum.

A handheld with your specs launching this year would easily cost at least $499, probably more. Base specs of PS4 Pro is going to need a large battery for just decent battery life, and some elaborate cooling to not throttle.

Also do we even know if Mark Cerny is involved in the development of the rumored Q-Lite? If so I have hope that actual specs and features will be a lot more interesting than the current rumored stuff.
Over the last 3 years I have heard "this is impossible" a lot of times and each time Sony makes it happen.

4k60 is impossible
HDR in vr is 5 years away
you can't run clocks that high
you need more ram
The SSD won't be that fast, it's impossible.
etc etc etc

Maybe it won't be a PS4 power, maybe it won't be cheap enough to challenge the Switch. All i know is, anything is possible with Cerny, who i am sure will be consulted on when it comes to the handheld, IF there is a handheld

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
For all we know, this Q-Lite can be a controller for a ps6. People are overreacting over nothing.
Yep, or maybe none of these rumored devices (new Sony handheld, PS5 with detachable drive, PS5 Pro, Q Lite) don't exist at all.

But out of all of them, the one I see more likely is a digital PS5 Slim with detachable drive to be released maybe in a couple years, followed by (something that as I remember they already patented) a splittable Dual Sense that would allow you to attach phones or tablets in the middle to play mobile phones games or stream there cloud gaming or remote play (not only the Sony mobile games/cloud gaming/remote play).

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Whilst Sony cheerlead the backbone one, I don't believe that product exists on Android. This is similar to MS cheerleading the not-upto-snuff Logitek G streaming handheld. I don't know why they do that other than sponsorship/license money, but these products aren't good enough.

I ran into this just myself today, where trying to connect a Gamesir x2 USBC to my Surface Duo phone (two screens, play like a clamshell DS, but bottom landscape screen now has physical buttons on it's side, thanks to gamesir. First of all, I should be on an older non USBC bluetooth-only version which only comes in arse grey and not white or black like later models; since the USBC connector on device doesn't line up with my port (frustrating). I can fit it in there physically, but visually the phones not sat in the device properly, and it's a bit suspended in the air/getting gripped. It's not the most confidence inspiring setup.

Meanwhile, my older one screen TCL phone with a more standard body design than the Surface Duo, whose USBC port is correctly aligned for the gamesir x2... just doesn't wanna recognise it has the gamesir's USBC connector plugged into it at all.

And then I discovered that whilst XB GP works with gamesir, PS Remote Play just didn't. Probably because Sony lock their official Remote Play app to their own controllers last I checked (unsure of ios setup is with PS backbone one accessory). So as far as I can tell, at least as far as Sony official stuff for remote play, there's no way to cut devices down to phone/phone shell, it'll always want a PS pad connected in there? Or want to force you onto the Remote Play app's touchscreen controls, there's no middle ground?

So now... I believe I have to use a non-official remote play app, with a non official phone shell, so nothing will "feel right". And if I wasn't on a two screen phone, it'd have phone messages and stuff interrupting remote play sessions...

X and O inputs reversed. Download gamesir app, set to xbox layout, and now 3rd party remote play app won't respond at all. Had to reboot phone in-between. Now I can play games with the gamesir controller on 3rd party remote play.

Id still perfer a dedicated PS4P/NGP.
Still have to deal with notifications popping over game session, or using keyboard in other app killing it. Still rags the arse off phone battery. Remote play sound cuts in over other things (is there per app volume control on Android?).

Edit: ignore scrap carpet on kitchen floor. It's meant to be dirty and I will just put more scrap carpet down fresh again. Tiled kitchen floor is damn cold in British winter innit? received_1595471297599520.jpeg

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I believe people missed a big talking point here. The rumor is for a “Q LITE” but what about the regular “Q”. I thibk there are two SKUs and I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone else talk about that.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
This! I like said before it could be a prototype for a controller for the next generation or an idea for the PS6 itself.

I believe people missed a big talking point here. The rumor is for a “Q LITE” but what about the regular “Q”. I thibk there are two SKUs and I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone else talk about that.
They are prototypes doesn’t mean anything. Lite could be the screen size etc Those can change.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The regular one is probably a full PS5. The rumors seem pretty specific at this point, either its at least 90 percent true or its false.