New PS5 model has completely redesigned motherboard - lighter, cooler, uses less power.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Sony is using a new, smaller motherboard for the PS5, different cooling, and has even changed the SSD enclosure.

All of these changes add up to another weight reduction, but no obvious changes to the exterior of the PS5. The real big change is the updated motherboard in the PS5. It has shrunk by around two inches, and the cooling for the PS5 is slightly different thanks to an additional heat pipe at the rear and a smaller heatsink.

Screenshots from the video by @Dodkrake

W63wDm4.jpg

7S84HN9.jpeg

iZlkJGO.jpeg

PS5 Slim soon?

Last edited by a moderator:
24 Jun 2022
I've read a basic summation and the thing that stuck out most to me is the 20 - 30 watt lower power usage when gaming. That screams 6nm IMO, but if it's still on 7nm and achieving that, they've done some damn near dark arts level of engineering redesigns to accomplish that without switching the node.

It basically all means the system is probably peaking at around 200 watts now IIRC; previous peak usage assessments were around 220 watts if not a bit higher.
And granted there are some other things they could've done too in order to draw less power, switching out the NAND chips used for example would help there.

But they already redesigned the heat pipe with an earlier revision, I can't see too much of what would have been changed to accomplish the results outside of some power settings in the firmware and going to 6nm node process.

Hats off to them in any case!

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I've read a basic summation and the thing that stuck out most to me is the 20 - 30 watt lower power usage when gaming. That screams 6nm IMO, but if it's still on 7nm and achieving that, they've done some damn near dark arts level of engineering redesigns to accomplish that without switching the node.

It basically all means the system is probably peaking at around 200 watts now IIRC; previous peak usage assessments were around 220 watts if not a bit higher.
And granted there are some other things they could've done too in order to draw less power, switching out the NAND chips used for example would help there.

But they already redesigned the heat pipe with an earlier revision, I can't see too much of what would have been changed to accomplish the results outside of some power settings in the firmware and going to 6nm node process.

I like your posts for two reasons, informative and Rogues arse.

Keep up the good work. :whistle:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

They probably dropped the voltage in RAM / SSD for that… newer modules requires indeed less voltages to works…. it can even be new node for the memory chips.

Needs to check if the memory / SSD chips are the excitably the same brand and model than previous PS5.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
soooo these newer models, they are out in the wild now?

The one I got about a month and a bit now could be a newer one?

24 Jun 2022
They probably dropped the voltage in RAM / SSD for that… newer modules requires indeed less voltages to works…. it can even be new node for the memory chips.

Needs to check if the memory / SSD chips are the excitably the same brand and model than previous PS5.

Voltage drop would make sense definitely. I don't know if they've switch node for the NAND devices; RAM and NAND memory chips are made on much bigger nodes than actual CPUs/GPUs etc (and even those are not "purely" 7nm, 5nm etc. it's just certain parts and layers that are those node sizes but for marketing purposes the entire chip is advertised at the smallest node size, IIRC).

When the first revision was made, I think the fan brand was changed for another one. Not sure though. It could be something similar with the NAND chips and maybe even RAM, tho there aren't too many options brand-wise to choose from, especially for GDDR6. There's Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix and that's it. NAND chips there are a few more picks.

But it's possible just among the limited ones they have introduced revisions to certain memory devices in their product lines with lower voltages and such.

soooo these newer models, they are out in the wild now?

The one I got about a month and a bit now could be a newer one?

Want to take it apart all the way to the motherboard and find out for us? 😏

• haha
Reactions: Lord Mittens
24 Jun 2022
Reducing costs while raising prices for consumers.. great!

Who says costs were reduced? 6nm (if Sony's using that) isn't as cheap as it was two years ago. Components in general have gone up. Sony reducing power consumption doesn't mean the system's suddenly a lot cheaper to produce, I wouldn't expect it to be given what's been happening with rare metal and material costs increasing.

• haha
Reactions: Remij

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Who says costs were reduced? 6nm (if Sony's using that) isn't as cheap as it was two years ago. Components in general have gone up. Sony reducing power consumption doesn't mean the system's suddenly a lot cheaper to produce, I wouldn't expect it to be given what's been happening with rare metal and material costs increasing.

Not sure how copper trades at today, but the console weighs 500g less when compared to the original.

24 Jun 2022
Not sure how copper trades at today, but the console weighs 500g less when compared to the original.

It's gone up by 130% since March 2020 and trades for $5 a pound. There's a report on it here.

I can see the first revision removing a lot of copper doing so for exactly this reason, so I'm curious what other things have been removed. Would be nice if someone other than Austin Evans had a video on it, I can't take that guy seriously xD.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Next batch of PS5’s should be the new model? After the Horizon bundle sells out.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Interesting how similar the PS4 and PS5 models have been so far in their respective first 3 years.

1200 model dropped power on PS4 too.

Wonder if a PS5 slim comes in 2023 or 2024.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I feel like they made a huge thing of the heatsink? Why chsnge it so drastically?