New Skate will be Free to play, will have crossplay and crossprogression between PS, XBOX and PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

EA's new Skate is going to be a live-service free-to-play skateboarding game, developer Full Circle announced in a video on Thursday. Fans have been eagerly asking for some kind of Skate 3 follow-up for years, but this new title won't be the Skate 4 they might have been expecting; instead of a numbered iteration, Full Circle is imagining Skate (that's the name, though EA stylizes it with a period at the end) as a constantly evolving world with community-created content that's easy for everyone to ollie into.
It's an authentic evolution of the franchise and taking what Skate 3 was in 2010 and bringing it to now and to the future," Deran Chung, a creative director on Skate, said in an interview with The Verge. "That is not only an evolution of the franchise, but it's an evolution of where skateboarding is and was from 2010 to now and also where games are from then to now."

Skate will be available on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC, with crossplay and cross-progression. (The developers are exploring a mobile version, too.) But the full release is still a long ways away. In June, Full Circle debuted "pre-pre-pre-alpha" footage and invited players to sign up to playtest Skate, but they haven't given any sort of release timeframe for the launch.
As for the game's business model, Mocquard said the microtransactions are primarily going to be about cosmetics and convenience. "I want it to be very clear that it's not a pay-to-win game. There won't be any gameplay areas hidden exclusively behind a paywall. Players won't be able to buy any gameplay altering advantages." The team believes that "the best business models are based on respect, trust, and transparency," and they want to create "a healthy model that will allow us to continue investing back into the game," according to Mocquard. The team is also planning on having things like seasonal drops and live events in the game, "but we are still exploring different options."
One feature the developers were excited about was what they called "CollaboZones" (a working title), which are areas that can be collaboratively built by players and appear in other people's worlds. In Thursday's video, Full Circle showed off some examples, including an absolutely massive ramp and a structure that looked like a skyscraper-tall pachinko board.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Exactly what we needed, more live service games.

Way to kill a beloved franchise.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Making it a Live Service game means it really isn't the same game at all...just uses the name of a beloved franchise.

I really hope it is a good game though, I hope Skate fans enjoy it, whatever way it turns out. But EA.... I just do not trust.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 38

Themaskedcrag

Cunning Linguist
13 Jul 2022
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

Themaskedcrag

Cunning Linguist
13 Jul 2022
Not a jab at the game at all.

But when I read crossplay my interest drops to 0.
Probably will be optional, but still I know what you mean. It's almost as if, when your developing for PC and console on an online game, you need to spend half your budget on a decent anti-cheat solution.

Reactions: ethomaz
Status
Not open for further replies.