New studio Maverick Games from Ex-Playground Devs Formed

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Interview by Christopher Dring

-Running the studio itself is COO Harinder Sangha. Sangha is an award-winning studio leader who helped form Sega Hardlight and Sumo Leamington
-The team is led by studio head and creative director Mike Brown, who was previously the creative director on the Forza Horizon franchise
-The company currently has ten employees, with the aim to grow to 140. And it is working on an open-world premium AAA game for consoles and PC.
-Brown also hints that the game will react to how players are consuming entertainment these days, partially driven by the rise in subscription services

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Key leadership people who just left Playground Games:
  1. Tom Butcher, Lead Producer.
  2. Matt Craven, Technical Director
  3. Gareth Harwood, Technical Art Director
  4. Fraser Stachan, Audio Director
  5. Ben Penrose, Art Director
  6. Mike Brown, Creative Director

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Oh dear. Rats off a sinking ship?
the mueller report see GIF

OP
OP
Lord Mittens

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022

Very big losses, but good for them

Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Oh dear. Rats off a sinking ship?
why so negative, maybe just clever ones?
so basically, all studios leads. that studio part is basically dead for a year or two.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Looks like the Fable project isn't going over well. When your top dogs jump ship like this, something is very wrong.

I bet they never even wanted to make Fable, MS just mismanaging resources as usual.

Sony should acquire these guys and put them on a Gran Turismo arcade racer spinoff!

Reactions: Bryank75

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Looks like the Fable project isn't going over well. When your top dogs jump ship like this, something is very wrong.

I bet they never even wanted to make Fable, MS just mismanaging resources as usual.

Sony should acquire these guys and put them on a Gran Turismo arcade racer spinoff!
It has a similar pattern to The Initiative.

Assemble a team > put them on a game they may not want to > production issues come up > co-studio is roped in > key people leave.
  • The Initiative > Perfect Dark > production issues and delay > Crystal Dynamics joins as co-developer > 50% of The Initiative leaves.
  • Playground Games > Fable > production issues and delay > Eidos Montreal joins as co-developer > 6 department heads from PG leave.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Interview by Christopher Dring

-Running the studio itself is COO Harinder Sangha. Sangha is an award-winning studio leader who helped form Sega Hardlight and Sumo Leamington
-The team is led by studio head and creative director Mike Brown, who was previously the creative director on the Forza Horizon franchise
-The company currently has ten employees, with the aim to grow to 140. And it is working on an open-world premium AAA game for consoles and PC.
-Brown also hints that the game will react to how players are consuming entertainment these days, partially driven by the rise in subscription services

I think you want to start the thread title with" New studio Maverick Games from Ex-Playground Devs Formed? Just a thought.

Nice thread bud.

I had no clue that many leads left Playground, and all of them Forza Horizon which were some of the main Fable people. Sounds like Engine change talk was make or break for a lot of people?

This sucks, this game is not coming anytime soon.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Is this the fable team/ devs or the forza 5? Is that even the same studio?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Same studio that makes the Forza Horizon series and is working on Fable.
So i take it the Forza side of the studio developers left?

Anyone else find it uh convenient that the same guy who recently downplayed issues at playground games now has an exclusive article about 6 developers leaving said studio?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Let's see what their role was in the FH series:
Producer in Forza Horizon 2, 3, 4 and 5.

1. Matt Craven, Technical Director
Chief Engineer in Forza Horizon 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

1. Gareth Harwood, Technical Art Director
Technical Artist in FH 1 and 2, lead technical artist in FH3, Technical Artist Director in FH4 and FH5.

1. Fraser Stachan, Audio Director
Audio designer in FH2 and 3, senior audio designer in FH4, Lead Audio Designer in FH5.

1. Ben Penrose, Art Director
Associate art director in FH1, art director in FH2, FH3, FH4, FH5 (left to work as the art director of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt during development, didn't complete FH5)

1. Mike Brown, Creative Director
Game designer in FH2 and FH3, principal game designer in FH4, creative director in FH5. Also writer in FH3, FH4, FH5.

Is this the fable team/ devs or the forza 5? Is that even the same studio?
See above, I listed where they did work before. They are basically the key people of the Forza Horizon series team, who leave PlayGround to create their own studio (different than the Fable one). I understand they could have moved some FH staff to the Fable team, but I highly doubt that they'd move most of their top staff to the Fable team.

I assume many other talented will remain there who could replace them, and if not they'll hire other talented people capable of doing that job.

I thought the same, but seeing they are working on an open world game they left because are tired of making racing games during so many years.

Also, if Sony is interested on a Gran Turismo arcade game, Firesprite has a ton of key former staff from Evolution, Bizarre Creations and Liverpool Studio.

So I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
yeah, there's no spinning it. The Fable project is in turmoil and causing a mass exodus of key talent at the studio, specifically the spurned forza/car guys.

that's basically the entire core team of what makes the Horizon games work.

It looks like MS has mismanaged another team into oblivion.

Reactions: Hezekiah