Nintendo has Zelda, Xbox has Elder Scrolls, what is PlayStations signature RPG?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom.jpeg
capsule_616x353.jpg

When you think of Zelda, you think of Nintendo. When you think of Bethesda WRPG's, you now have to experience them on Xbox or PC.
I'm not going to get into the minutia of how one was created by the company and the other was simply purchased, that's another discussion.

What I want to know is, does PlayStation currently have a RPG that you would say is almost a symbol of the PlayStation platform?

Does PlayStation even need one?

If it is a third party game that embodies the spirit of PlayStation as an RPG, do they need to be brought into 1st party?

Is the importance of having such a game overstated? Should PlayStation be looking at other areas?

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Occasional From exclusive. Horizon mid series from Guerrila.

They do need one and the target is pretty clear - CDPR or FROM.

Reactions: Bryank75

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
CDPR is part of CD Projekt, a much larger company. They'd either need to be willing to sell Red or Sony would need to buy the whole company and that's not happening.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I guess TotK crosses the line into veing an RPG, so Horizon, then?

And Xbox isn't going to have an exclusive Elder Scrolls (other than Morrowind) for another 4 to 7 years.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I don't see horizon or Zelda as RPGs. I always thought the next step for naughty dog was to try releasing a Witcher 3 killer. But can't blame them for not trying when their narrative cover shooters sell so much.

• brain

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Horizon just sold 8 million units so that is clearly Playstation's Zelda equivalent. But they also have Ghost of Tsushima which is basically the same formula but in Japan. If Sucker Punch is smart I think Ghost of Tsushima 2 with PS5 level graphics could catapult the franchise into Horizon like status.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Its actually legend of dragoon if sony didnt neglect that ip

Oh yeah

Zelda arent rpg

and Elder scrolls was actually bethesda ip before xbox bough them

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
None, but they did have some in the PlayStation One days like The Legend of Dragoon which is one of the greatest games ever made by Sony and a game that is in my heart!!!
Its actually legend of dragoon if sony didnt neglect that ip
Must be nostalgia. I tried it when it came to PS+ Premium and I dropped it real fast. So outdated.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t think Final Fantasy necessarily fits here even tho that’s def an alternative offered.

Bethesda-likes and the more westernized genre of rpg has been in a rough spot for a few years now. Huge gaps in time between the next Skyrim, fallout, Witcher or 2077, etc… and with mass effect missing it hurts a bit more too.

There’s a huge void in the genre. With Bethesda bought by Microsoft I do expect some new faces in this space sooner than later.