Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser says it has a ‘great relationship’ with Microsoft, after it emerged Xbox wanted to buy the company

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

They’ve since gone in and edited the interview to remove him talking about using the Nintendo account to reduce the “dip” from one generation to another. Nintendo probably made him take it down.

This is the original quote:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
ill be mad if they switch to disc format....all of my Switch games are physical 😭 tho i dont think that would be possible in a handheld form factor. Hope this confirms it for physical bc too.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

They’ve since gone in and edited the interview to remove him talking about using the Nintendo account to reduce the “dip” from one generation to another. Nintendo probably made him take it down.

This is the original quote:

That, or he assumed Nintendo wasn’t still two decades behind the rest of the world and then found out what a steaming heap of shit their digital license handling is and asked for that bit to be pulled.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
ill be mad if they switch to disc format....all of my Switch games are physical 😭 tho i dont think that would be possible in a handheld form factor. Hope this confirms it for physical bc too.
Can't imagine they would switch to disc.

Nintendo just needs to realize they've found their console format and run with it. The iPhone is basically "the same" product it was when it launched in 2007, and it is still probably the biggest single consumer device out there in terms of sales and excitement around its launch. And it's basically the same thing over and over.

Just keep the form factor, release more powerful versions as needed, make all the games BC from here on out, and just keep releasing new software. That's all they have to do.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm sure thyll keep same form factor and everything else tht just let them sell a gazillion units.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Can't imagine they would switch to disc.

Nintendo just needs to realize they've found their console format and run with it. The iPhone is basically "the same" product it was when it launched in 2007, and it is still probably the biggest single consumer device out there in terms of sales and excitement around its launch. And it's basically the same thing over and over.

Just keep the form factor, release more powerful versions as needed, make all the games BC from here on out, and just keep releasing new software. That's all they have to do.
There is an idiotic line of thought that devices MUST radically change form-factor annually, even if they’ve basically been perfected that I will never be able to fathom.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Well, that's a relief!

I just want to actually see it though. I'm not even that picky about how powerful it should be.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
They should announce this months in advance before the new console is revealed, so that folks can keep buying switch games without worries.
The Office Thank You GIF

This is exactly what I'm waiting for.

Reactions: Bryank75

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
There is an idiotic line of thought that devices MUST radically change form-factor annually, even if they’ve basically been perfected that I will never be able to fathom.
Yeah ... that's a topic in itself but I agree with you on that one.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Same train of thought tht games need to change formula with every release or else it's just dlc lol 😂

Yes formulas need to change and evolve over time to stay fresh but not after one damn entry or two!!!

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Same train of thought tht games need to change formula with every release or else it's just dlc lol 😂

Yes formulas need to change and evolve over time to stay fresh but not after one damn entry or two!!!
Formulas are what give something an identity.

Indiana Jones movies have a formula. Mission Impossible movies have a formula. This idea obviously applies to games as well. But it's part of what makes something good, as well as recognizable.

It is very hard to change the formula on something, whilst (don't know if I've ever used "whilst" in a sentence before) keeping it recognizable and familiar to the fanbase.

So people complaining that a Spider-Man game plays like a Spider-man game, or anything else along those lines, is being silly.

That said, formulas can play out. And that's yet another reason why I say acquisitions don't work. Not only do people leave, but it's also what I mean by companies "buying the past." In most cases, what was popular in the past will not be popular in the future.

This tangent has been brought to you by Dr. Bass.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Indiana Jones movies have a formula. Mission Impossible movies have a formula. This idea obviously applies to games as well. But it's part of what makes something good, as well as recognizable.

It is very hard to change the formula on something, whilst (don't know if I've ever used "whilst" in a sentence before) keeping it recognizable and familiar to the fanbase.

So people complaining that a Spider-Man game plays like a Spider-man game, or anything else along those lines, is being silly.

That said, formulas can play out. And that's yet another reason why I say acquisitions don't work. Not only do people leave, but it's also what I mean by companies "buying the past." In most cases, what was popular in the past will not be popular in the future.

You preaching to the choir lol

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

TVTropes made a generation of goddamned idiots think that any traditional motifs in storytelling being used is a bad thing while worshipping hacks like Joss Whedon.

• haha
Reactions: Dr Bass

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
WE CONSIDER THEM TO BE PARTNERS IN MANY, MANY WAYS,” SAYS NINTENDO OF AMERICA PRESIDENT
Doug Bowser has commented on the company’s relationship with Microsoft, after Xbox was revealed to be a potential suitor for the Mario maker.

Legal documents published inadvertently last month potentially laid bare key elements of Microsoft’s gaming strategy for years to come, including Xbox boss Phil Spencer’s desire to acquire Nintendo.

“I totally agree that Nintendo is THE prime asset for us in gaming”, the executive told a colleague in an email exchange in 2020, in which he also said Microsoft’s board was “fully supportive” of such an acquisition should the opportunity arise.
Nintendo’s Bowser was asked about the leaks during an Inverse interview published on Friday.

“We have a great relationship with Microsoft,” he said. “We consider them to be partners in many, many ways, and you only have to look at Nintendo Switch to see that partnership.
“Obviously, Minecraft is on Nintendo Switch, and we brought Banjo Kazooie to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. So, we’re looking forward to that partnership continuing.”

Earlier this year, Microsoft signed a “binding 10-year legal agreement” to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo platforms if it completed its proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard in a $69 billion deal that finally closed last week.

Spencer’s leaked email concluded: “At some point, getting Nintendo would be a career moment and I honestly believe a good move for both companies. It’s just taking a long time for Nintendo to see that their future exists off of their own hardware. A long time.”