Nintendo Reportedly Added Support For VRR & Up To 240 FPS To Its Internal Game Engine

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Nintendo has reportedly added support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and frame rates up to 240 fps to one of its in-house game engines.

A data mine of the new action adventure title from Nintendo, Endless Ocean Luminous, has revealed that it uses an updated version of the console maker’s internally developed Bezel Engine, which now appears to support higher frame rates up to 240 fps despite the Switch only being able to run games up to 60 fps.

As seen in the code snippet below, support for higher frame rates in the new version of the Bezel Engine is only enabled once variable frame rate mode is changed from “Fixed” to “Variable”.

Nintendo vrr

This information raises several questions regarding the hardware specs of Nintendo’s next console. Will the Switch 2 come with a 240 Hz display? Will the display also support VRR? A previous report from Taiwain’s Economic Daily suggested that the console may feature a 12- Hz display. There was no mention of support for VRR, however.

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
The usual console pre launch hype cycle. "It will control missiles" "Toy story graphics" "1080P 60 FPS" "4K" "8K"

Next pokemon game will at most run at dynamic 1080p 30 and look like something from the PS Vita.
That's so true LOL. remember 4K 120fps?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Its like the laws of physics, electricity and silicon do not apply on console land. Its all about Pixie dust based optimization, feelings and fairy tales. Besides, I could somehow believe it if it was something from Sony or MS, since they have decent tech but NINTENDO???????

Be happy if you can buy a couple of GBA ROMs for $ 30 a pop with no enhancements whatsover.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Yuniac
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
We got tht with Prince of Persia. It's the same every gen with 1080p with PS3 etc. Only ignorant ppl believe most games will hit those metrics but it isn't a lie as a game or a few can hit them. It's PR nonsense.

Reactions: Yuniac

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
Just got a 240hz oled monitor and i gotta say that its the first time where i feel that the refresh is good enough where i can scroll text and it doenst feel like a blurry mess and the responsiveness is exactly where i need it to be. Its the biggest leap i’ve had in decades.

120hz was almost nothing to me, still bad. It was exciting for like 5 minutes cos i’d been stuck at 60 for so long, but other then being slightly smoother, 120fps never felt like a leap to me, it still felt “framey”. With 240hz everything feels solid and smooth to me. I think 240hz is my new baseline.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
This isn't PR at all, this is someone digging into code.

That said, I am on record saying Switch 2 will have PS4 equivalent graphics and am sticking to that.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This isn't PR at all, this is someone digging into code.

That said, I am on record saying Switch 2 will have PS4 equivalent graphics and am sticking to that.
Yes it comes from code.