Nintendo Switch has sold 129.53 million units, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has sold 18.51 million units

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Clarify, please.
Year for year the Switch beats Nintendo's combined hardware sales for all previous years except for the heyday of Wii+DS. They beat NES/Fami alone, they beat NES+Gameboy, they beat SNES+Gameboy, N64+GBC, GCN+GBA, probably beat GCN+DS. Its only when the DS took off that the DS and Wii not only outsold Switch but were lapping it. Then the 3DS did "well" but not as good as Switch with late era Wii and Wii U contributing hardly anything to the sales totals.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's weird that having sold 130M consoles only 2 games sold over 1M.

But TotK yeah, it has been a stunning success.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Year for year the Switch beats Nintendo's combined hardware sales for all previous years except for the heyday of Wii+DS. They beat NES/Fami alone, they beat NES+Gameboy, they beat SNES+Gameboy, N64+GBC, GCN+GBA, probably beat GCN+DS. Its only when the DS took off that the DS and Wii not only outsold Switch but were lapping it. Then the 3DS did "well" but not as good as Switch with late era Wii and Wii U contributing hardly anything to the sales totals.

The switch doesn't beat the DS alone, nevermind DS + Wii.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not surprised if DS and PS2 numbers are beaten
I'd be surprised. I think Switch will end in the 145-155M window. But think it's less possible, but that it could end reaching the 155-160M window.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The switch doesn't beat the DS alone, nevermind DS + Wii.
I mentioned that in my post, its only when the DS was on the scene that Nintendo was selling more hardware units.

Edit: The key to beating DS or PS2 is market expansion. You pretty much need a third large market to operate alongside NA, EU and JP. Obviously China is the elephant in the room but not only is their government a constant threat to randomly "interupt" game sales, an even bigger hurdle is that their public just doesn't seem interested. And then other markets like Latam or ME are just too small.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Edit: The key to beating DS or PS2 is market expansion. You pretty much need a third large market to operate alongside NA, EU and JP. Obviously China is the elephant in the room but not only is their government a constant threat to randomly "interupt" game sales, an even bigger hurdle is that their public just doesn't seem interested. And then other markets like Latam or ME are just too small.
Yes, PS2 did grow a lot mostly in Europe party due to the big success there of Sony casual games, stuff like Singstar, EyeToy and Buzz aimed to new audiences, people who before didn't play videogames. Back then, casual games were starting to be popular with browser games and mobile games.

Nintendo took note of that for Wii and their casual DS games, and MS also tried it with Kinect.

Regarding emerging countries there's India too. Like China (or some other Asian countries like South Korea or Indonesia) or LATAM they are small market for consoles but big for mobile. As of now, one of the goals for SIE is to grow in Asia -specially China and India- and LATAM. They also are expanding to PC and mobile because they know that most people in these countries normally play only on mobile or PC and won't buy a expensive console.

Reactions: Box

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
18 million only on 1 platform thats massive

Will be 20 million + at the end of the year

• they're_right_you_know

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yes, PS2 did grow a lot mostly in Europe party due to the big success there of Sony casual games, stuff like Singstar, EyeToy and Buzz aimed to new audiences, people who before didn't play videogames. Back then, casual games were starting to be popular with browser games and mobile games.

Nintendo took note of that for Wii and their casual DS games, and MS also tried it with Kinect.

Regarding emerging countries there's India too. Like China (or some other Asian countries like South Korea or Indonesia) or LATAM they are small market for consoles but big for mobile. As of now, one of the goals for SIE is to grow in Asia -specially China and India- and LATAM. They also are expanding to PC and mobile because they know that most people in these countries normally play only on mobile or PC and won't buy a expensive console.
India is really a 50 year project, just because their PPP is so low. I know they are big phone users (really, the whole world is) but have no clue on their opinion on consoles other than the fact that 49 out of 50 of them are too poor to reasonably be expected to buy one. I'd say it should be less of a focus than SEA which has much better prospects in my opinion. They also have a small but dedicated market of long-term users thats been around since the days of the NES. Now if only they'd stop pirating shit...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
India is really a 50 year project, just because their PPP is so low. I know they are big phone users (really, the whole world is) but have no clue on their opinion on consoles other than the fact that 49 out of 50 of them are too poor to reasonably be expected to buy one. I'd say it should be less of a focus than SEA which has much better prospects in my opinion. They also have a small but dedicated market of long-term users thats been around since the days of the NES. Now if only they'd stop pirating shit...
As I remember India in mobile is the top 3 country in number of users and top 6 in amount of revenue generated. Can't remember the exact position of the ranking, but Sony mentioned that India improved in the PS5 compared to PS5 and I'd bet it was around top 10 for them around something like that.

So maybe with some extra localization efforts and initiatives like the India Hero Project, plus the mobile gaming, pc ports or cinema+tv adaptation initiatives they started may help them grow in this and other developing countries of Asia & LATAM.

D

Deleted member 782

I still don't think the Switch numbers are impressive, since it occupied the space left by both home and handheld consoles. All in all, they are selling way less consoles than before the switch.
In terms of unit sales, yes, but when it comes to the most important metric (profits), the Nintendo Switch era is the most successful era for Nintendo.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
In terms of unit sales, yes, but when it comes to the most important metric (profits), the Nintendo Switch era is the most successful era for Nintendo.

That I can agree with.