now that Xbox is no longer a competitor, Sony can work way more flexibly

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
they don't need to rush a new generation if they don't want to, they can expand for example, the PS5 or PS6 generations without the pressure of a competitor coming out with a new generation earlier, Xbox will become an OEM console with Windows and other storefronts in it, so it won't compete directly with a PlayStation or a Nintendo type of console, it will be more like a PC and will be probably priced at a premium to make profit for Microsoft, it'll probably go above 600 or 700 dollars and will be aimed for people that game on Xbox and want to keep gaming on Xbox and continue to build their digital libraries.

Sony will be the only high end console manufacturer in the market, they'll invest even more in proprietary technologies like PSSR and 3D Audio to enchance the PlayStation console experience, by the time the PS6 releases, this industry will be very different. can't wait.

thank god Sony didn't bite the bullet and didn't release a competitor to the Series S, god knows how limited this generation would be first party wise if we had a 4tf machine on next gen first party games like Wolverine, Death Stranding 2 etc, now that Xbox has no chance in the console space anymore (i mean, they're selling 800k units every 4 months even with a 299 console) Sony can take their time to develop the PS6 in peace, expand the PS5 lifecycle til 2030, Xbox will sell less and less once games like Halo, Gears and Forza start to come out for PlayStation and Nintendo consoles, MS depends on the success of PlayStation because Xbox is not providing a big base to sell games on, it's either that or they'll have to close studios.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
it's good to remember that the PS2 sold so well because it didn't had a proper competitor toe to toe, and that generation was expanded, with games being exclusevly released for it even when the PS3 was already out, Sony now needs to have the right strategy, which i think they will, PS6 Handheld and PS6 Console in 2028 and a PS6 Pro in 2032

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
it's good to remember that the PS2 sold so well because it didn't had a proper competitor toe to toe, and that generation was expanded, with games being exclusevly released for it even when the PS3 was already out, Sony now needs to have the right strategy, which i think they will, PS6 Handheld and PS6 Console in 2028 and a PS6 Pro in 2032
Wait till Nintendo launch the GameCube 2 next year.

Easter Dad GIF

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
if i were Sony i would actually expand PS5 lifecycle til 2030, beat the PS2 in sales, then release the PS6
i’d still say 2028 or 2029 at very latest. Sales at some point will taper off at some point to require new hardware. Benefit of expanding would be having a higher and higher install base to ensure no games are skipping(the obscure smaller titles as big titles will come naturally).

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
i’d still say 2028 or 2029 at very latest. Sales at some point will taper off at some point to require new hardware. Benefit of expanding would be having a higher and higher install base to ensure no games are skipping(the obscure smaller titles as big titles will come naturally).
this generation is different than any previous gen we've seen, the Pro console will be released in the end of the 4th year of the lifecycle, according to the leaks PS6 will come in 2028, but it would be great if they gave PS5/PS5 Pro 2 more years of life, til 2030 so we would finally see games coming out that take full advantage of it, games are taking so much time to make, more time than in any other previous gen...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think Sony doesn't have to rush the next generation. Instead, they have to double down in the current one due to several reasons:
  • To rush next gen would mean to delay some 1st party games, so it would be better to avoid it and continue as planned
  • To continue having the largest current gen active userbase and catalog when compared to Xbox and Switch 2, both from players and devs points of view
  • To continue being seen by the 3rd parties as their biggest console market and most reliable console maker partner, which combined with PC handhelds would help combat Switch 2 3rd party support
  • To continue increasing its market share distance against Xbox to give it a final blow and totally kill it, making sure next gen Xbox console doesn't exist, of if it exists, it's seen as dead on arrival
  • The more dead Xbox is, the more likely MS will continue as full multiplatform
  • Once Xbox is dead and buried, then Sony would move to compete more directly against Nintendo, partnering with PC handhelds to make their own PC handheld to become not only the king of high end home consoles, but also the king of portables and PC.
if i were Sony i would actually expand PS5 lifecycle til 2030, beat the PS2 in sales, then release the PS6
Sony home consoles normally have a lifecycle of 11-12 years, so pretty likely PS5 will last until 2031-2032.

In recent generations Sony releases new console generations every 7 years, so they'd release PS6 late 2027. This time due to lower sales due to the pandemic, plus big improvements coming (but that require a lot of time) they could delay it a few months/a year more, because the PS5 games at the end of the generation should look way, way better than now.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
You say flexible, I hear arrogant. Watch them sit back like they have in the past.
i don't think they were arrogant with the PS3, i mean, the console was 600 dollars and i get it, but it had PS1 and PS2 chips in the motherboard, it runned 15.000 games out of the disc, that's something that we'll probably never have again because they're afraid to do it and surpass the $500 price the market set up

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I wouldn’t ever count MS out or take the boot off the neck. I’d still be investing in key partners as well. MS is an extremely scummy company and just because they’re seemingly down and out at the moment doesn’t mean they won’t try and screw Sony over in the future.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I wouldn’t ever count MS out or take the boot off the neck. I’d still be investing in key partners as well. MS is an extremely scummy company and just because they’re seemingly down and out at the moment doesn’t mean they won’t try and screw Sony over in the future.
I think Sony is well aware of this fact. They will definitely do some countermeasures like defensive buys.

Reactions: Neversummer
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
i really think it's over, Xbox is selling 800k every 4 months, it's like 200k per month, this is so low that there is no turning back for them, developers will start to drop support for it, that's why MS is running to put other storefronts in the next Xbox, a lot of developers will drop support for Xbox versions.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
they don't need to rush a new generation if they don't want to, they can expand for example, the PS5 or PS6 generations without the pressure of a competitor coming out with a new generation earlier, Xbox will become an OEM console with Windows and other storefronts in it, so it won't compete directly with a PlayStation or a Nintendo type of console, it will be more like a PC and will be probably priced at a premium to make profit for Microsoft, it'll probably go above 600 or 700 dollars and will be aimed for people that game on Xbox and want to keep gaming on Xbox and continue to build their digital libraries.

Sony will be the only high end console manufacturer in the market, they'll invest even more in proprietary technologies like PSSR and 3D Audio to enchance the PlayStation console experience, by the time the PS6 releases, this industry will be very different. can't wait.

thank god Sony didn't bite the bullet and didn't release a competitor to the Series S, god knows how limited this generation would be first party wise if we had a 4tf machine on next gen first party games like Wolverine, Death Stranding 2 etc, now that Xbox has no chance in the console space anymore (i mean, they're selling 800k units every 4 months even with a 299 console) Sony can take their time to develop the PS6 in peace, expand the PS5 lifecycle til 2030, Xbox will sell less and less once games like Halo, Gears and Forza start to come out for PlayStation and Nintendo consoles, MS depends on the success of PlayStation because Xbox is not providing a big base to sell games on, it's either that or they'll have to close studios.
I think it will be smart for Sony to make a native handheld by 2026 just so Xbox doesn’t have there hybrid handheld that can play GTA6 on the go also PS porting to PC could lead to Xbox more open hybrid handheld to play Xbox, PS & PC games which wouldn’t be to good looking considering PS consoles can only play PS & Xbox games at a later date still missing PC huge library.

So a “PS5 GO” that’s a native handheld for $400 that can play PS4 & PS5 games allowing PS to be in the handheld market & not missing out in the moment when Switch 2, Steamdeck 2 & Xbox handheld releases there native handheld in 2025-2026 Sony can stretch the PS5 gen & push the PS6 gen to like 2032 & by then PS6 can be a full on hybrid handheld using ai that will give you the power to play handheld games at the PS5 pro level. Sony extending PS5 gen can make them hit 150+ million console even more likely of they make a “PS5 GO” & tally that as a PS5 console sold.

Big issue for PS is the massive amount of PC handhelds that will come out during the Switch 2 releases & possible Xbox hybrid that’s more open ability to play PS games through PC port making PS own console less desirable since it’s limited in library. I always said since 2020 & MS bought Zenimax & ABK Sony needs to double down in gaming specifically PS first party so they can release 3-4 major games per year & release 3-4 smaller AA games 6-8 games per year from first party would be great w a price range of $50 to $70 games like Nintendo. Just follow Nintendo strategy

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Nintendo found the perfect place, they'll always update the Switch, it'll probably be Switch 2, Switch 3, Switch 4... etc, they found the formula, combining handheld + console experience, they'll always sell 100M+ very easily
Yuh Nintendo won’t ever go back to the limited traditional gaming box when the hybrid handheld can do both while allowing you to play anywhere. Sony should follow. PS consoles only being playable at your home is limited & combining both market like Nintendo has was very smart. Xbox & steam are heading the same direction as Nintendo for a reason.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Sales wont fall off if PS5 is the only traditional console in the market.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
So much this.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
i don't think they were arrogant with the PS3, i mean, the console was 600 dollars and i get it, but it had PS1 and PS2 chips in the motherboard, it runned 15.000 games out of the disc, that's something that we'll probably never have again because they're afraid to do it and surpass the $500 price the market set up
They were arrogant for thinking people would pay that price. "Get a second job" was Sony's "we have a console for people with no internet". It holds the costumer in contempt.

Sony got complacent when Dreamcast died and they took the foot off the gas in regards to innovation and pushing themselves. Then they kicked into hyper gear when the Xbox launched.

Sony's worst enemy is lack of competition. They become stale. The turn around of the PS3, leading into the PS4, was driven by strong competition from Microsoft. The PS4 was my favourite Sony console.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
They were arrogant for thinking people would pay that price. "Get a second job" was Sony's "we have a console for people with no internet". It holds the costumer in contempt.

Sony got complacent when Dreamcast died and they took the foot off the gas in regards to innovation and pushing themselves. Then they kicked into hyper gear when the Xbox launched.

Sony's worst enemy is lack of competition. They become stale. The turn around of the PS3, leading into the PS4, was driven by strong competition from Microsoft. The PS4 was my favourite Sony console.
interesting, PS3 was my favorite