now that Xbox is no longer a competitor, Sony can work way more flexibly

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
if i were Sony i would actually expand PS5 lifecycle til 2030, beat the PS2 in sales, then release the PS6
This is something to watch. We'll see if this gen will get extended due to the pandemic. Sony could absolutely extend PS5 lifecycle to try to make up for the sales of the start of the pandemic when people were having trouble finding PS5 due to the shortages. In a way the extension of the PS5 is already starting with the upcoming pro model.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
With Xbox dead I wonder how the market will react, that is about 50m console buyers per gen going somewhere else.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
With Xbox dead I wonder how the market will react, that is about 50m console buyers per gen going somewhere else.
If Xbox starts there next gen in 2026 there tracking to do 30 low 30 million for the series generation this is more then half of what the Xbox one did (65) & I predict with Xbox games going to PS & Nintendo Xbox will do 10 high 10’s million for the hybrid handheld.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Nintendo found the perfect place, they'll always update the Switch, it'll probably be Switch 2, Switch 3, Switch 4... etc, they found the formula, combining handheld + console experience, they'll always sell 100M+ very easily

Yes, probably.

24 Jun 2022
If Xbox starts there next gen in 2026 there tracking to do 30 low 30 million for the series generation this is more then half of what the Xbox one did (65) & I predict with Xbox games going to PS & Nintendo Xbox will do 10 high 10’s million for the hybrid handheld.

XBO wishes it did 65 million. It was closer to ~ 55 million, maybe a bit less.

My memory could be fuzzy on this, but at a Brazilian Xbox conference they mentioned 75 million systems between XBO & Series; this was back in the middle of 2023. XBO hadn't cleared 18 million by EOY 2022, and sold ~ 7.2 million through all of 2023. So at the time of that conference with the slide, it would've pegged XB Series at a little over 21 million (sold-through) by mid-2023.

For reference, at the start of this year, they were I'd say at ~ 25.2 million sold-through. Another ~ 800K on top of that (let's just say 825K to be generous) and right now (start of April) their sold-through is probably at ~ 26 million worldwide.

I think even the SEGA Saturn had better CY Q1s than that when launch-aligned. If not, XBS is only doing about as well as systems like that. Which is still better than a 3DO, Jaguar, 32X and Wii U but...that's not much to brag about at all.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Xbox One did not surpass 60M units, let alone 65, it sold around 52 - 55M at best

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I don't think Sony have to rush (and MS are making a risky bet if they do it, too) but they shouldn't take their foot off the gas on investing in normal games either. Thats never worked well for anyone. It didn't help Nintendo to sit on the SNES for two years, it didn't help MS to cease funding normal games in favor of Kinnect titles, etc.

If they stop trying or pivot into something dumb then thats a recipe for someone else to step in and fight them for the market.