[NPD] PS5 Sold More Than 620,000 Units in March, a New Record for PlayStation platform

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I think MVG maybe loosing his mind.
Kate Mckinnon Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

how can they be stockpiling if everything sells out?
So does that mean every month the sales have broke records they also stockpiled?
Confused Britney Spears GIF

24 Jun 2022
Holy shit, that's almost November numbers in March, insane.

Yeah y'all this gen is a wrap. There's no path where Xbox can hope to even catch up, especially since you know Nintendo's in the mix with a new Switch coming sooner or later. Their best hope is to just ensure their 1P releases are the best they can possibly be, and try building up some franchise power out of them.

They can't drop the ball whatsoever and the work with their 1P this gen would be very helpful for the next generation Xbox. But something tells me MS can't manage to accomplish this, much less do so for the next five years.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
According to some their PC ports strategy, their 'lack of' Sony communication/marketing, the 'awful' Jim Ryan job and the 'Microsoft monopoly' are killing PlayStation.

Yeah, sure. The reality is that they are performing better than ever did.

Estimates from install base forum

PS5
January : ~430K
February: ~570K
March : ~660K

Switch
January: ~270K
February: ~290K
March: ~310K

XSX+S
January: ~200K
February: ~250K
March: ~270K
How can estimate numbers without having anything? I mean, for March we know PS5 sold more than 620k, which can be 620.1K or can be 1.5M. And also know Xbox and Switch sold less than them.

But other than that and maybe similar details that Mat or extrapolating from the order or total spent may have shared for previous months, aren't these numbers only random personal guesses?

P.S.: My guts say that the numbers aren't too far from reality, but I have no idea.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Holy shit, that's almost November numbers in March, insane.

Yeah y'all this gen is a wrap. There's no path where Xbox can hope to even catch up, especially since you know Nintendo's in the mix with a new Switch coming sooner or later. Their best hope is to just ensure their 1P releases are the best they can possibly be, and try building up some franchise power out of them.

They can't drop the ball whatsoever and the work with their 1P this gen would be very helpful for the next generation Xbox. But something tells me MS can't manage to accomplish this, much less do so for the next five years.
As I've mentioned in the past, I fully expect them to use these losses to justify more large purchases. A regulator with common sense should ask though, "how are Sony and Nintendo able to do so much better with significantly fewer resources?"

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Just one territory mind you...

I also think that the estimates could be a little low for Jan and Feb. Even if they are accurate, that is really good.

Don't stop now Sony, don't ever stop.

It's time to push it to the limit!

Reactions: Airbus

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
According to some their PC ports strategy, their 'lack of' Sony communication/marketing, the 'awful' Jim Ryan job and the 'Microsoft monopoly' are killing PlayStation.

The concern most have here is Microsoft using these numbers to justify buying up multiple popular publishers and making their content exclusive until they have eventually cornered the market. I just hate the idea of MS permanently pulling up franchises I care about just because they're behind.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Yes, thanks to their console sales.... as you can see subscriptions industry wide are slowing and full releases are selling well but there's not enough.....

I maintain a great PSX / showcase would be incredibly powerful coming up at the end of summer or close to Starfield launch and would completely demolish the competitions chances.

The PC strategy isn't good, the launches have reflected badly on PlayStation and the sales have been poor.... except for Destiny...GAAS can still be strong on PC and be multiplatform day 1.

I don't think Jim is terrible at all.... I just disagree with some of his ideas...

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yes, thanks to their console sales.... as you can see subscriptions industry wide are slowing and full releases are selling well but there's not enough.....

I maintain a great PSX / showcase would be incredibly powerful coming up at the end of summer or close to Starfield launch and would completely demolish the competitions chances.

The PC strategy isn't good, the launches have reflected badly on PlayStation and the sales have been poor.... except for Destiny...GAAS can still be strong on PC and be multiplatform day 1.

I don't think Jim is terrible at all.... I just disagree with some of his ideas...
I don't think Jim is terrible either, I just think he's not in tune with what the hardcore fanbase cares about.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022
As I've mentioned in the past, I fully expect them to use these losses to justify more large purchases. A regulator with common sense should ask though, "how are Sony and Nintendo able to do so much better with significantly fewer resources?"

Yep. And if they don't ask the question, the public should pressure them into asking it, because it's such an obvious question to ask.

But beyond that, I really don't see how MS can play the same "Pity me, I'm in last place. Let me buy publishers. Let us compete!" line to try hoodwinking regulators once again, because they're going to look at what MS has and say, hey, you already have Zenimax AND you have ABK. You're telling us you STILL can't compete!? What's going on with your management? Why are companies a puny fraction of your size able to outperform you in the market in appealing to customers?

TBH I was worried at one point that MS getting ABK with slap-on-wrist concessions would enable them to buy more. While I still think it could signal a bad precedent and signal other Big Tech companies to try buying, I think in Microsoft's case specifically they aren't going to be able to buy another publisher for a very long time, regardless if they're still in 3rd. Because in actuality, they'll be in spitting distance of Sony's PS annual revenue if/when they acquire ABK anyway, so they'll leapfrog Nintendo in gaming revenue and can't just suddenly say "Oh we meant third-place in gaming profit the whole time!!", because they never meant that whatsoever.

Still think bringing the marquee non-live service GaaS titles to PC at the timing frequency Sony's been doing with a few games cheapens the prestige image of PlayStation as a console brand, and I think that is very important in helping ensure brand faith which is enabling them to break sales records.

And Microsoft buying out big publishers does hurt Sony to some extent since that removes a publisher Sony can openly work with as a platform holder, for exclusivity deals, marketing deals, co-development of new games etc. They would have to go through Microsoft for approval of that and there is 0% chance Microsoft would ever allow those opportunities for a direct competitor in Sony.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't think Jim is terrible either, I just think he's not in tune with what the hardcore fanbase cares about.
Let's make a list of things he did in his first 4 years:
  • Released the -apparently as of now, launch aligned- most successful PS console ever
  • 2 and a half years after release, its previous console, where their big majority of players still are, still has a great games support
  • Broke all kind of console maker records from sales to userbase, to engagement or social media performance in gaming history
  • Released the fastest selling PS exclusives ever
  • Released the best rated PS exclusives ever
  • Released the most awarded PS exclusives ever
  • Acquired Insomniac, Bungie, Bluepoint, Housemarque, Firesprite (meaning, brought Liverpool Studio and Evolution back to Sony, also including Bizarre Creations), Nixxes and more
  • Signed more 3rd party exclusives for this gen than in any gen before
  • Made a record spend on 2nd party deals for this generation
  • Started to build a SIE mobile gaming division
  • Started to publish the SIE PC ports (not his idea, was already in the works)
  • Started the PS Productions initiative with Sony Pictures for the PS IP movies and tv shows
  • Their PC, mobile, GaaS, movies initiatives aren't at the expense on their focus on console and SP traditional games, which will continue their main focus and in fact are investing on them more than ever before
  • Unified all their local marketing, PR, localization and 2nd party publishing teams into a single global team for each division to work more coordinated and be more cost effective and productive
  • Created PlayStation Indies, leaded by Shuhei Yoshida to fulfill his passion and make sure they support indies more than ever, improve their relationship with them giving them better conditions and that unlike in the previous gen they keep supporting them permanently
  • As part of the restructuring that branched away this 2nd party+indie publishing from Japan Studio, restructured its internal 1st party development to refocus it on its most successful internal development team: Team Asobi
  • Highly increased the staff of all their teams to make them work on more games at the same time than before, including the 3 teams that resulted from splitting Japan Studio
  • Merged and highly improved PS Plus and PS Now in all areas
  • Released PSVR2 with the biggest and best launch window lineup of any VR device, for a cheaper price that the PSVR1 kit had at launch and with the best HW specs in the market
I think he did a really impressive job, a ton of things in only 4 years that all of them result on what hardcore fanbase care about: having more great games for their console.

The results of some of these things are already visible, while other ones are long term bets whose results are still to be seen but will help them grow in all their new and existing areas, a grow that bigger or small will mean more money to make more great games and hardware.