Nreal/Xreal air AR Glasses got a free FW update which enables 120hz

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
I bought a pair of these Nreal Air AR glasses and they are really super great for playing in bed. I'm sure you've heard about them as they're kind of trending tech gadget at the moment but recently a beta firmware was released by Nreal that enables a 120hz 1080P mode and it is really really amazing. Yeah, the high-refresh rate is great and matches my CX and Samsung monitors... but the thing I'm most happy about is the fact that they offered this extra functionality as a value-add and completely for free. I purchased the glasses completely under the assumption that they were 60hz only and I thought I was going to have to upgrade to another model later down the line to get high refresh rate, but nope... I updated the firmware and I can get 120fps on my steam deck, PC, GPD Win4, PS5... and it works flawlessly.

I just made this thread in case anyone else is interested and to ask whether this kind of thing seems unprecedented in the Monitor/Display market. Traditional manufacturers have conditioned me to spending 100s sometimes 1000s of dollars for an upgrade to the next level of resolution or refresh rate and here's a small company just throwing out a fw update like it's nothing. Is there another example of any company in the display industry doing this? If not, it's definitely something to note.

D

Deleted member 417

I bought a pair of these Nreal Air AR glasses and they are really super great for playing in bed. I'm sure you've heard about them as they're kind of trending tech gadget at the moment but recently a beta firmware was released by Nreal that enables a 120hz 1080P mode and it is really really amazing. Yeah, the high-refresh rate is great and matches my CX and Samsung monitors... but the thing I'm most happy about is the fact that they offered this extra functionality as a value-add and completely for free. I purchased the glasses completely under the assumption that they were 60hz only and I thought I was going to have to upgrade to another model later down the line to get high refresh rate, but nope... I updated the firmware and I can get 120fps on my steam deck, PC, GPD Win4, PS5... and it works flawlessly.

I just made this thread in case anyone else is interested and to ask whether this kind of thing seems unprecedented in the Monitor/Display market. Traditional manufacturers have conditioned me to spending 100s sometimes 1000s of dollars for an upgrade to the next level of resolution or refresh rate and here's a small company just throwing out a fw update like it's nothing. Is there another example of any company in the display industry doing this? If not, it's definitely something to note.
I've been looking at buying a pair of glasses like this. What's it like looking at a massive screen so close to your eyes for so long? Does it mess them up, or is it like watching films on a 100" screen?

I was thinking of buying a pay for travelling, that I can hook up to my laptop, instead of relying on hotel TV's or travelling with a screen.

How realistic of a geodi la forge cosplay can i do?

OP
OP
alphachino

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
I just found out how to restrict the Steam Deck to 40hz refresh mode for external displays (by enabling developer mode) and it works very well when the glasses are in 120hz mode. Now I'm able to run many games like Firewatch, Sleeping Dogs, Nier Automata in 1080P @ 40hz through the glasses. It's pretty frickin' sweet!

OP
OP
alphachino

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
I've been looking at buying a pair of glasses like this. What's it like looking at a massive screen so close to your eyes for so long? Does it mess them up, or is it like watching films on a 100" screen?

I was thinking of buying a pay for travelling, that I can hook up to my laptop, instead of relying on hotel TV's or travelling with a screen.

How realistic of a geodi la forge cosplay can i do?
I find the glasses incredibly comfortable for long usage. The screens are physically close to your eyes, but just like VR, it feels as though the display is a few feet in front you and feels entirely natural... yes, like a 100" display in front of your eyes.

Georgie La Forge cosplay is well within reach!

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417