Number of console games published per platform holder in 2023:Xbox 11, Playstation 5, Switch 14

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
If anyone sees this and say, “im worried about ps”, then you aint paying attention.
30 years, and on it weakest portfolio year it out sell its competitors 2:1.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

This is a weird way to decide which rereleases, ports, remasters are counted or not.

As an example, he didn't include the Sony PC ports (TLOUP1, Returnal, Ratchet Rift Apart) while including the MS ports and missed a couple Sony games very likely to be delayed to 2024 (Stellar Blade, Convallaria) or Destiny 2 Lightfall that some people could count it as a new game (I don't, I count it as DLC/Expansion).

If we remove all of these rereleases/ports/remasters/remakes/refurbished with extra content and leave only the brand new games we have this:

Sony Interactive (PS5):
✅ MLB The Show 23
✅ Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
✅ Firewall Ultra
✅ Horizon: Call of the Mountain
✅ Stellar Blade
✅ Convallaria

Nintendo (Switch):
✅ Fire Emblem Engage
✅ Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
✅ The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
✅ Everybody 1-2-Switch!
✅ Pikmin 4
✅ F-Zero 99
✅ Detective Pikachu Returns
✅ Super Mario Bros. Wonder
✅ WarioWare: Move It!

Microsoft + Bethesda (Xbox Series):
✅ Minecraft Legends
✅ Forza Motorsport
✅ Hi-Fi Rush
✅ Redfall
✅ Starfield

Sony had a bigger output in previous years, but seems MS and specially Nintendo did a big effort this year. As usual specially after covid we also saw many 2023 games delayed to 2024, so pretty likely 2024 will be a big year.

Again they all did expand and that was noted and mentioned all last gen i even posted old articles about it on another thread. It looks more like upper tier management getting involved in shit they shouldn't and mismanaging.
They made many acquisitions, grew all their teams and spent more than ever in 2nd and 3rd party deals.

They have more games than ever to be published by them (and we have to add the 3+ Bungie ones on top of the >25 PS Studios ones). Their games sell more than ever, get great reviews and a lot of awards.

They had a big and great output since 2019 until now, but each new gen means more development time needed to ship a game, and there's also the covid pandemic that delayed stuff. Dev teams can't release games every 6 months, they need years to develop AAA games. We also saw that some teams like Insomniac stopped doing crunch during this management, which implies more time is given when needed instead of asking to crunch.

As I remember we only have confirmed a game cancelled (the Pixel Opus one) and some games that got delays, but these are normal part of development that always happened and happens here and in all companies.

So far they released a lot of great stuff and have been very successful and there are no signs of mismanagement. If something, the opposite.

Last edited: