NVIDIA announces DLSS 3.5 with Ray Reconstruction, launches this fall

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
NVIDIA-DLSS-3.5-HERO-1800x936.jpg

While there haven’t been any updates regarding AMD FSR3, and XeSS going open-source, NVIDIA is determined to make headlines with the latest iteration of DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling). This AI-driven algorithm has undergone four significant releases to date: DLSS1 (March 2020), DLSS 2.3 (November 2021), DLSS 3 (October 2022), and DLSS 3.1 (January 2023). The most recent update appears to be focused on improving ray tracing.https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2023/08/DLSS-3.5-RAY-RECONSTRUCTION.jpg

The utilization of denoisers was found to strip away essential data required for upscaling, leading to a loss of color data during denoising and subsequent upscaling. Furthermore, traditional methods may result in inaccurate lighting effects due to the accumulation of pixels from previous frames, often resulting in ghosting.

Denoisers also contribute to subpar global illumination and lower-quality reflections, as there isn’t enough data for interpolation. This will not be the case with Ray Reconstruction, which is the primary feature of DLSS 3.5 update.

NVIDIA has confirmed that DLSS 3.5 will make its debut in the fall, featuring in titles such as Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, Portal with RTX, and Alan Wake 2. Additionally, it will be available in the NVIDIA Omniverse Platform, Chaos Vantage, and D5 Renderer.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-announces-dlss-3-5-with-ray-reconstruction-launches-this-fall

• party
Reactions: Frozone

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Which cards are supported by this? Would it make a 2080 super viable for raytracing?
bro they haven't even enabled dlss3 for turing cards yet, what makes you think they're going to be consumer friendly? In fact they might as well make this exclusive to 5-series cards if the trend continues.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm not sure what I feel about it.
For a side it indeed looks good.
But it seems to lost the astetical feeling the enviropment should have.

The same happened with Metro game with full RTGI... while it looks better it lose the atmosphere that the game had before.

Thinking like you having a game with a dark themed enviropments becoming light themed enviropments.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
I'm not sure what I feel about it.
For a side it indeed looks good.
But it seems to lost the astetical feeling the enviropment should have.

The same happened with Metro game with full RTGI... while it looks better it lose the atmosphere that the game had before.

Thinking like you having a game with a dark themed enviropments becoming light themed enviropments.
That shouldn't be the case if they use the real Newton's equation of inverse-squared falloff. It's mimicking reality. Just need to taper back the light sources so they don't contribute more.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Common Mark Cerney, you letting these California Hipsters better your sultry nerd cred? Got gud in pro.

Last edited:

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Awesome stuff! I didn't realize Alan Wake 2 will also be fully path traced and support DLSS3.5. Northlight is a godly engine :love:

Comparison shots:

alan-wake-2-geforce-rtx-pc-screenshot-full-ray-tracing-off-001.jpg

alan-wake-2-geforce-rtx-pc-screenshot-full-ray-tracing-on-001.jpg

And apparently an RTX trailer for the game will go live tomorrow..

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Awesome stuff! I didn't realize Alan Wake 2 will also be fully path traced and support DLSS3.5. Northlight is a godly engine :love:

Comparison shots:

alan-wake-2-geforce-rtx-pc-screenshot-full-ray-tracing-off-001.jpg

alan-wake-2-geforce-rtx-pc-screenshot-full-ray-tracing-on-001.jpg

And apparently an RTX trailer for the game will go live tomorrow..

It looks fine with rtx off lol. I hate how devs have to make everything ultra shiny to show off rtx.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Let's hope AMD catches up soon before the end of the generation, because if not the next generation of consoles may have issues.