Obsidian Has a 3rd Unannounced Project in the Works

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
It looks like developer Obsidian Entertainment has another unannounced project in the works. Developer of the upcoming ‘The Outer World’ sequel and the other first-person role-playing game ‘Avowed’, we got a hint of something new coming thanks to eagle eyes catching this on the company’s newly hired Art Director’s LinkedIn:

Per Daniel Cabuco’s LinkedIn, he’s joined the company as a full-time Art Director around a week ago. Now of course, there’s nothing else here. No images or any sort of sneak previews here and, obviously, a game company is going to make games for as long as their around. But hey! Two games in the works and with another in the backdrop, Obsidian’s not letting up.

Source

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Damn Xbox investing in there studio. Seeing Obsidian turn to a 3 team studio is great we could see a future where there dropping a new game every other year in a cycle.

PS should be doing this with ND, SuckerPunch, Team Asobi & Poly.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Its still been how many years since they put a game ilout that i give a damn about. Didnt care about grounded, avowed delayed again and looked at best to be an upcoming 6-7/10. Also there goes the xbox hype of hey theres another game in the pipeline, like yeah everyone does it they. Don’t just salvate at the thought of the game after the current game

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Damn Xbox investing in there studio. Seeing Obsidian turn to a 3 team studio is great we could see a future where there dropping a new game every other year in a cycle.

Sony acts like they dont have enough money and getting there fans thinking they are broke.

And TBF, MS cant manage anything properly so I doubt this will work out.

Sony could make each ND, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Guerilla like Insomniac, multi teams. They could also invest in each of these with a MP team (small or large) and a VR team.
No point Sony attempting to do VR and MP games if they dont want to invest properly

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023

You really just suggested PlayStation copy Xbox lol. Obsidian is a mediocre studio that makes fake rpg's, I mean even Spiderman has more rpg elements then Obsidian's last game.

26 Nov 2023
Dunno, man. I like Obsidian but Outer Worlds was kinda mid all things considered. I was initially hype for Avowed but when they started showing gameplay it just looked so janky and stiff. Cool they're making another game but it's also hard to get even a little bit excited for it.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You really just suggested PlayStation copy Xbox lol. Obsidian is a mediocre studio that makes fake rpg's, I mean even Spiderman has more rpg elements then Obsidian's last game.
Playstation has helped Insomniac have multiple studios. They probably have one of the best output of games out there.

And supposedly Sony has expanded ND to have multiple projects again.
Studios can have multiple teams and be succesful

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Dunno, man. I like Obsidian but Outer Worlds was kinda mid all things considered. I was initially hype for Avowed but when they started showing gameplay it just looked so janky and stiff. Cool they're making another game but it's also hard to get even a little bit excited for it.
For me there not the same team that made Fallout New Vegas. Outer worlds was a little over hyped for me. So not much faith in them anymore. Avowed will show where they are now

26 Nov 2023
For me there not the same team that made Fallout New Vegas. Outer worlds was a little over hyped for me. So not much faith in them anymore. Avowed will show where they are now

Yeah. I'm more curious than anything to see how Avowed turns out but that's about it. I remember Outer Worlds getting a lot of praise for supposedly being what Fallout 4 should've been but damn it was boring lol

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Are you ok with PS releasing 1 major game per year? Because that’s what Herman & Sony said in there meeting.

1 game per year is abysmal even if that game is a 10/10.

I would rather take 5+ 7 rated or 8 rated games then just 1 game that may or may not be good or may be like SM2 injected with agenda driven/woke poison that ultimately turns a great game to a eh & ruins the conversation on the internet with the focus no longer being about the game itself.

PS is releasing 1 first party singleplayer game per year while Xbox & Nintendo are releasing 5+. What a joke PS will always be last place. Oh & no Sony doesn’t have to copy Xbox entirely but in game output yes & it’s really not about copying Xbox PS needs to copy Nintendo & make 5+ first party games using there own ip per year not this abysmal output they’ve been having since the beginning of PS4

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Looks like the folks at Obsidian are continuing their approach of making games of all sizes and scope.

In recent years they've released Pentiment and Grounded.
Avowed is close to release, and I imagine most of that team will move on to the core team that's currently probably doing conceptual work/pre-prod on Outer Worlds 2.
Then they've got this new unannounced game, probably another smaller title.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Are you ok with PS releasing 1 major game per year? Because that’s what Herman & Sony said in there meeting.

1 game per year is abysmal even if that game is a 10/10.

I would rather take 5+ 7 rated or 8 rated games then just 1 game that may or may not be good or may be like SM2 injected with agenda driven/woke poison that ultimately turns a great game to a eh & ruins the conversation on the internet with the focus no longer being about the game itself.

PS is releasing 1 first party singleplayer game per year while Xbox & Nintendo are releasing 5+. What a joke PS will always be last place. Oh & no Sony doesn’t have to copy Xbox entirely but in game output yes & it’s really not about copying Xbox PS needs to copy Nintendo & make 5+ first party games using there own ip per year not this abysmal output they’ve been having since the beginning of PS4
If the one game per year is an all time banger and they keep finding 3rd party exclusives like FF7R, granblue Fantasy, helldivers... keep getting shit like zenless... I'm cool with it. The problem RN is that the games they are putting out are not all time bangers. They are very high quality in production values but every time outside a few of them like TLoU I get the feeling they are missing something that can take them to the next level. For example HZD needs a better mc - Aloy is too bland for my taste. Also could use some better story pacing. I was a bit meh on spiderman.

Reactions: Shadow2027

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Expecting it to be Grounded 2 since the team is said to be small but would love for it to be a collaboration between Obsidian and Bethesda Game Studios to remake Fallout New Vegas and then do a sequel.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Yeah. I'm more curious than anything to see how Avowed turns out but that's about it. I remember Outer Worlds getting a lot of praise for supposedly being what Fallout 4 should've been but damn it was boring lol
Yep, I liked New Vegas back in the day, had the same experience trying it on Extra couldn't bother to finish it. Avowed had my interest on that reveal trailer but after seeing gameplay and the style/scope change, I'm out.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Fallout 76 came out the previous year and I truly believe people were praising Outer Worlds as an excuse to shit on Bethesda. But I agree it wasn't that good.